Texas Hunting Forum

Snake Boots

Posted By: CowboySlim

Snake Boots - 12/03/19 02:07 AM

Hello All, I'm new to the forum here. I'm looking to buy a new pair of snake boots. I would like to get a pair of zip up style boots. I am looking for a value price pair. I purchased a pair of Justin Square Toe style 10 1/2D and they are not a great fit for me. Any suggestions would be appropriated. Please message me if your interested in buying my Justin Boots. Please remove this thread if not allowed.

Attached picture Justin Boot 1.jpg
Attached picture Justin Boot 2.jpg
Posted By: kry226

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 02:59 AM

Find a Justin Outlet and get a pair of blem Chips. My last pair a couple of years ago near Black Friday was about $86 IIRC.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 03:36 AM

I am on my second pair of these from Bass Pro:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-bayou-nwtf-waterproof-side-zip-snake-hunting-boots-for-men

I have very wide feet, and these are one of the few styles that actually fit.

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 01:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have very narrow feet and I usually wear a B width in western boots. This makes it more difficult to find snake boots. Any suggestions would help. Adchunts I like the price point on the boots in the link. I was at Cabelas yesterday and I should have looked to see if they had them in stock. Maybe next time.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 01:31 PM

When you have a hard to fit foot, buying shoes and boots on line would have to be frustrating. My foot is just the opposite. It's real wide with a high arch. Can't wear just anything. No way in heck I would buy without trying them on. I mean think about it - you have to walk in them.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
When you have a hard to fit foot, buying shoes and boots on line would have to be frustrating. My foot is just the opposite. It's real wide with a high arch. Can't wear just anything. No way in heck I would buy without trying them on. I mean think about it - you have to walk in them.

I am the same way. Tried on Chippewas and they did not fit right and seemed flimsy. After months of looking and trying on several diffeent brands I settled on the Danner San Angelo. [Linked Image]

Found a great deal online and ordered my size. Free shipping at the time and could ship back for free if they did not fit or needdded to exchange for another size. They fit like a glove out of the box and are very comfortable.

My left foot is a whole size larger than my right, high arches, and other issues. My 1st attempt at ordering a pair online and I am very pleased with the Danner brand.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 03:32 PM

I think I've ordered 5 pair from Amazon and send them all back for one reason or another. My feet like Rocky's the best but their quality has went down hill so bad that those are the one boots that I've kept a month only to have the seams come apart and the sole to separate from the boot. That's two weekends at the lease.

I'm so disgusted with snakeboots I'm just going to wear my last two pairs of Rocky's and call it good.

Re: Snake Boots - 12/03/19 05:34 PM

I have had multiple pairs of Rocky Brand boots with the exact same result. If they would hold up that’s the brand I would wear. I can’t see buying the same pair of boots multiple times a year. The search continues......I’m going to looking into the Redhead brand.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Snake Boots - 12/04/19 02:29 AM

X2 on Danner. I tried the Chippewas and never felt solid and comfortable. Been in the Danners for 4 years of bird and early deer season along with countless scouting trips. Like a glove. When these wear out I will replace with another Danner pair.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Snake Boots - 12/04/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

My feet are also wide with high arch. I’ve found Lacrosse to be the best brand and most comfortable for me. Going on 4 years of hard use with mine. I don’t wear any other hunting boot anymore
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: Snake Boots - 12/04/19 02:44 PM

I own a pair of Chips, but stopped wearing them last year because they're not terribly comfortable. Instead, I opted for a nice comfortable pair of 9" leather insulated hunting boots paired with snake gators. The leather on the hunting boots is plenty thick enough to protect from a snake bite. The 9" shaft of the boot goes to just below the bottom of my shin. The gators have plenty of overlap around my ankles and go almost to my knee. This set up is 100% more comfortable than the chips I wore for 2 years.

The benefit with this set up is that once I get into my blind or stand I can take the gators off. Can't beat the freedom or comfort! The gators I bought are the camo ones that Academy sells for $35. However, I found the same ones at Bucees for $19.99.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Snake Boots - 12/07/19 10:32 PM

I’ve been been wearing Chippewas for a lot of years. Every GW I’ve seen in in S Texas has worn chips.
20 years ago I asked a game warden on the chaparral if they were part of their uniform, and he replied “no”, I asked why they all wear them and he replied “why would you wear anything else?” Bought my first pair that season.
I’ve had rocky, browning, and danner snake boots and never liked them near as much. Back zipper models are a game changer in my opinion. They take a while to break in and aren’t the coolest (temperature) but mine fit like a glove and I wear them about 10 months out of the year at the lease. I think for a sturdy boot they are extremely comfortable.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Snake Boots - 12/08/19 02:38 PM

I have a pear of alpha burly snake gaurds and love them
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Snake Boots - 12/12/19 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trenton
I’ve been been wearing Chippewas for a lot of years. Every GW I’ve seen in in S Texas has worn chips.
20 years ago I asked a game warden on the chaparral if they were part of their uniform, and he replied “no”, I asked why they all wear them and he replied “why would you wear anything else?” Bought my first pair that season.
I’ve had rocky, browning, and danner snake boots and never liked them near as much. Back zipper models are a game changer in my opinion. They take a while to break in and aren’t the coolest (temperature) but mine fit like a glove and I wear them about 10 months out of the year at the lease. I think for a sturdy boot they are extremely comfortable.

When I bought mine in Justin they said TPWD just came in and bought most so here is what was left. Luckily I wear a 9. All GW have been taller than me!
Posted By: hunt15

Re: Snake Boots - 12/13/19 09:00 PM

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...nake-hunting-boots#repChildCatid=4258928

On sale now, cheep I have had several pairs of water proof snake boots and some were very expensive, None are were water proof after the first year.
Posted By: ASUhunter21

Re: Snake Boots - 12/14/19 02:13 PM

REDHEAD brand works well for me
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Snake Boots - 12/14/19 04:47 PM

Just got my Chippewas wore them last week while hunting a couple of times.....finally found a snake boot that I will actually wear!
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Snake Boots - 12/15/19 05:43 PM

I have both Danners and Chips and like them both. Chip are available as zip style, My suggestion would be to try the women's size believe it or not it can work had it happen. My wife actually wears a 8.5 women's but for her they were not a good fit, she went to a mens and they fit the bill for her wider foot

Welcome to the forum

Re: Snake Boots - 12/16/19 04:45 AM

I hear I will be getting a pair of new snake boots for Christmas. I will keep this post updated on what brand/style and how I like them! I’m looking forward to a good field test. I may invest in a pair of snake guards until then!

Re: Snake Boots - 01/06/20 10:20 PM

I got a nice pair of RedHead Lubbock snake boots for Christmas. I worked out in the field with them for about 4 hours so far and they seem very comfortable. I look forward to wearing them hunting very soon. I hope that they hold up to the spring mud and muck. They are advertised as 100% waterproof. They are definitely a good looking pair of hunting boots.

Re: Snake Boots - 01/06/20 10:26 PM

I also still have the Justin Square Toe Snake Boots if anyone is interested in buying them. They are a nice heavy duty pair of boots.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Snake Boots - 01/06/20 11:31 PM

I went to Redwing/Irish Setters 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Both boots weigh about as much as one of my Justins. They are lace ups though but dang they are comfy
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Snake Boots - 01/07/20 03:04 AM

My brother got a pair of Twisted X snake boots. I tried them out this last weekend, they are great. They look to run a little wide, perfect for me. I will be getting my own pair.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Snake Boots - 01/07/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by CowboySlim
I also still have the Justin Square Toe Snake Boots if anyone is interested in buying them. They are a nice heavy duty pair of boots.

I have the Justin’s too and they are hard to beat, very comfortable. I’ve beat hell out of mine and they are holding up well.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Snake Boots - 01/07/20 02:50 PM

Try on different brands and models until you find the best fit. My country style Justens are extremely comfortable. My foot is extremely wide with a very high arch. Your narrow foot should be even easier to accommodate.

Buying shoes online is something this igmo don't get. That is unless it is re-order. If you ever head south down 35, stop off the Western Wear store at DilleyvFeed. They have multiple brands on stock to check out.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Snake Boots - 01/07/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gringocazador
Originally Posted by CowboySlim

I have the Justin’s too and they are hard to beat, very comfortable. I’ve beat hell out of mine and they are holding up well.

Same here.
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: Snake Boots - 01/08/20 02:34 PM

I bought a pair of Irish Setter snake boots for $150 from Cabelas online. I think today is the last day of the sale.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Snake Boots - 01/08/20 03:19 PM

I need a pair of snake boots. I have a pair of Cabela's lace up that I haven't even broken in, but they're lace up, complicated, and uncomfortable.

This thread got me to thinking so I contacted Chippewa through their website asking what they'd suggest if I have narrow feet. Just got a short, cold response from "Brittany" that they don't make narrow and they don't take custom orders. Boy, she's gonna go far with that wonderful attitude towards customers. Pretty much got the same attitude from Russel years ago, and they DO take custom orders. Had to cancel my order with them 'cause they were just too difficult to deal with, but they advertise all over the place, booths at DSC and SCI, etc.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Snake Boots - 01/08/20 03:39 PM

I don't know how you chippewa guys do it; they're comfortable but talk about an act of congress to get them off at the end of each day. There were some days I thought I was going to have to sleep in them or cut them off with tin snips
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum