Texas Hunting Forum

Racoon bait

Posted By: activescrape

Racoon bait - 11/28/19 06:50 PM

I want to trap a racoon or two,live trap. I used sardines and caught a skunk.What bait can I use that coons like but skunks don't? Thanks.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 06:55 PM

Always use marshmallows. Not sure anything will be a sure fire way to avoid a skunk.
Posted By: Flatcreek

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 07:33 PM

Corn works for me.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 07:51 PM

When our chickens were getting killed I baited my trap with the cheapest can of tuna fish made

I caught them almost every night

But in the end they still cleaned me out of chickens bang
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 08:05 PM

I use dry cat food or dry catfish food. Both work.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 08:26 PM

Peanut butter cookies.
Posted By: don k

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcreek
Corn works for me.

Corn is good coon bait if that is all you are trying to trap
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 09:35 PM

Anything a coon will eat, so will a skunk. Vanilla wafers work about as good as anything
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 09:50 PM

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Posted By: David7912

Re: Racoon bait - 11/28/19 09:55 PM

Marshmallows is like crack to a raccoon.
Posted By: tskin

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 01:10 AM

Vanilla wafers
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 01:21 AM

Dry cat food and marshmallows. Doesn't take much in the trap. I'm feeding 6 of them now at my feeder. Damm Coons.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 12:51 PM

Consider putting a feed timer mechanism in there with some loose wires. They seem to be attracted to stuff like that.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 01:17 PM

activescrape,
Are you trying to catch coons at a feeder?
If so, use corn, it is what they came there for.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 01:37 PM

There were 5 to 10 coons raiding my protein feeder every night so I put out a dog proof trap on each feeder leg. I can't remember the brand. Probably would have had 4 at one time but 2 traps were tied together by a cable and in the struggle one was loosed. There was this one greedy coon that had both paws caught. They left my feeder alone and started on my neighbors chickens so I let him use the traps. I think he had 5 in one night. I baited them with the protein from the feeder. My neighbor cracked an egg into a ziplock bag as bait. Baked raccoon isn't half bad. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Consider putting a feed timer mechanism in there with some loose wires. They seem to be attracted to stuff like that.

roflmao
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

Winner.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 05:44 PM

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...Z4PuP5gIVDRQMCh2cGgIxEAQYASABEgIWB_D_BwE

Dukes don’t rust, if that bothers you

I’ve had the best luck with corn and I’ve tried several different things including most of what’s posted above.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes you’ll trap one that’s not docile.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
There were 5 to 10 coons raiding my protein feeder every night so I put out a dog proof trap on each feeder leg. I can't remember the brand. Probably would have had 4 at one time but 2 traps were tied together by a cable and in the struggle one was loosed. There was this one greedy coon that had both paws caught. They left my feeder alone and started on my neighbors chickens so I let him use the traps. I think he had 5 in one night. I baited them with the protein from the feeder. My neighbor cracked an egg into a ziplock bag as bait. Baked raccoon isn't half bad. grin

[Linked Image]

roflmao Hope there are no undercover PETA trolls on the THF! roflmao

Good Job! happy3

Re: Racoon bait - 11/29/19 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear

[Linked Image]

Good Job! happy3

He's still alive in this pic. He was just relocated. grin
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Racoon bait - 12/01/19 06:17 AM

I have used honey buns, pop tarts, deer corn, herseys kisses, cliff bars and Gatorade protein bars.

Honestly I like pieces of honey buns myself.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Racoon bait - 12/01/19 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I used loose wires and a spinning mechanism to bait the trap as suggested, plus I went for the coup de gras and put a solar panel in there. I snuck up to the trap this morning and there was a line of racoons, waiting to get in the trap.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Racoon bait - 12/02/19 05:15 AM

Possibly try mango, chutney, and burnt hair. Seems to work for this guy.

-TJ

Geico Commercial
Posted By: TLew

Re: Racoon bait - 12/02/19 02:53 PM

Dry dog food + gummy bears....had half a dozen in a night
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Racoon bait - 12/02/19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by David7912
Marshmallows is like crack to a raccoon.

X2
Posted By: Team Fat Sack

Re: Racoon bait - 12/02/19 08:52 PM

dry dog food always worked for us
Posted By: PMK

Re: Racoon bait - 12/02/19 10:55 PM

I've caught pretty much anything imaginable around central Texas with steel jaw (years ago, had 180 trap line I ran every morning before school) and live trap ... the best bait I've found to only catch raccoons is corn in live traps. just pour a little on the ground leading in with a larger pile under the trigger and set the trap on top. cat or dog food will bring in all sorts of other critters also.
Posted By: kevinkk

Re: Racoon bait - 04/16/21 08:57 PM

Maybe you should try a corn trap? Or just take a gun and hunt.
I'd love to hunt raccoons, too, because they got to me. They somehow ruined the insulation of my house and settled there. They are warm and cozy there, so they do all their business right there. My whole house stinks. I didn't find them immediately, then I saw the pieces of insulation on the street and realized what was wrong. I decided to urgently contact the raccoon removal professionals and also eliminate the results of their life activity. Now everything is in order and I hope that I will not see any more raccoons in my house.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Racoon bait - 04/17/21 03:04 AM

I'm on # 34 coon just this morning on my place in dog proof traps. I've used everything mentioned above. Just the other night I put some freshly caught tiny green eared sunfish split down the middle. They didn't dissappoint.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Racoon bait - 04/17/21 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by kevinkk
Maybe you should try a corn trap? Or just take a gun and hunt.
I'd love to hunt raccoons, too, because they got to me. They somehow ruined the insulation of my house and settled there. They are warm and cozy there, so they do all their business right there. My whole house stinks. I didn't find them immediately, then I saw the pieces of insulation on the street and realized what was wrong. I decided to urgently contact the raccoon removal professionals and also eliminate the results of their life activity. Now everything is in order and I hope that I will not see any more raccoons in my house.

welcome But you must have done a search and come up with this year and 4 months old thread?

'Glad the coons are gone from your attic, but maybe you should look for how they got in? confused2 Maybe that's what you mean by "eliminate the results of their life activity".
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Racoon bait - 04/17/21 02:03 PM

Maybe scorched corn on the cob and on a platform- something a skunk couldn't climb up that well.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Racoon bait - 04/17/21 02:21 PM

Marshmallows or vanilla wafers.
Coons love them and skunks don’t
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Racoon bait - 04/17/21 03:50 PM

Cat food
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: Racoon bait - 04/18/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear

[Linked Image]

Good Job! happy3

He's still alive in this pic. He was just relocated. grin

Looks like he is lying there contemplating his life's choices
Posted By: gunslinger300

Re: Racoon bait - 04/19/21 05:56 PM

Used Vanilla wafers for years in live traps and Only caught coons. Cheap and taste good while running traps
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Racoon bait - 04/19/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy

If I’ve got Reese’s I’m eating them - not the coons

Re: Racoon bait - 04/19/21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Originally Posted by BayouGuy

If I’ve got Reese’s I’m eating them - not the coons

Biscuit, I couldn't have said it better. roflmao