Texas Hunting Forum

Traveling with a suppressor ?

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Traveling with a suppressor ? - 11/09/19 01:55 PM

I'm thinking about going on a cow elk hunt in 2020. Will fly with my 6.5 Creed and suppressor. Any extra regulations doing this? I will cave a copy of my NAF Stamp.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Traveling with a suppressor ? - 11/09/19 04:19 PM

Do NOT carry the suppressor in your carry on bag - I don’t care what people tell you that they did it with no issues or that it isn’t a firearm in and of itself.

The TSA considers it a prohibited item for travel in carryon and can fine you 1k.

It goes in your checked baggage and you can verbally declare it to the ticket agent when you give them your luggage as an added measure of notification.

Lastly you can ship and insure it in advance of your trip to a trusted party where your traveling that way if it gets stolen you get some money back, in case you don’t trust putting it in your checked luggage.

Link to TSA fines below, you’ll see the fine amount here but no where else on TSA’s public facing systems :

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/civil-enforcement
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Traveling with a suppressor ? - 11/09/19 10:19 PM

Thanks PIG, great advice
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Traveling with a suppressor ? - 11/09/19 10:33 PM

up
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Traveling with a suppressor ? - 11/10/19 01:00 AM

This link has the TSA information on Transporting Firearms and Ammunition. It is under firearm and is listed a firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
TSA Transporting Firearms and Ammunition
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Traveling with a suppressor ? - 11/11/19 01:45 PM

Make sure they are legal to hunt with in your chosen state as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum