Texas Hunting Forum

Anthrax outbreak

Posted By: Pedernales Man

Anthrax outbreak - 11/05/19 04:17 PM

Just wondering If anyone is hunting in Edwards or Sutton counties. Our lease was forced to not take any deer this year due to big loss of the deer heard. I did not know Anthrax was that far North.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/05/19 04:26 PM

It was a very widespread case this year. Kind of unprecedented. Major losses occurred from Ozona to Brackettville.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/05/19 05:08 PM

When was the last time you visited your hunting property? Game cameras, blinds sits, and just cruising the property confirmed we'd take no deer this year and this was realized by the end of July
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/05/19 05:12 PM

Friend of mine says they lost about 1/2 of their deer and haven't seen any mature bucks on camera.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/05/19 06:47 PM

Another thread on it ---> Anthrax
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/05/19 07:52 PM

I have some friends that hunt around Ozona, landowner told them to not come, limit was 0 deer this year, and would likely be VERY reduced for the foreseeable future.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/06/19 01:36 PM

Unless its back next year or we have horrible droughts the population will be back in no time. The age classes will take longer to get back.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Anthrax outbreak - 11/06/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Unless its back next year or we have horrible droughts the population will be back in no time. The age classes will take longer to get back.

Which leads many of us to the million dollar question. What's a lease worth knowing it'll be 2, 3, or 5 years before trophy animals are harvested again?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum