Texas Hunting Forum

Mounting Game Cameras

Posted By: ndhunter

Mounting Game Cameras - 11/04/19 11:36 PM

Which brands of game cameras come with 1/4″-20 thread insert on bottom for mounting the camera? I know Stealth Cam and pretty sure Moultrie does but not sure about others. The packaging they all come in does not allow you to see the bottom and they don't always reference if the thread insert is included on the package.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/04/19 11:40 PM

All that i have ever used
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/04/19 11:59 PM

I just purchased a couple of Browning Command OPs cameras. They have a 1/4" x 20 threaded mount on the bottom. Also very easy to program/set up.

Attached picture Jcat cam1.jpg
Posted By: djs303

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 02:28 AM

Bushnell trophy cam has the standard threaded bottom
Posted By: RPG1997

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 02:28 AM

Stealth Cams do and so do most Moultries in my experience. I believe most Brownings come with the threaded mount on the bottom. I'm fairly confident that Wildgame Innovations do not and I think my friend's Spypoints do, but I'm not sure about that.

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 02:56 AM

Thanks THF'rs

Seems like I bought one or two that did not have them. Must have been long time ago.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 03:13 PM

My wildgame innovations dont as they open from the bottom. But they come with a long strap. I also use really small bungee cords.

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
My wildgame innovations dont as they open from the bottom. But they come with a long strap. I also use really small bungee cords.

I have bought at least one of these, must be the brand I was thinking of.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 05:59 PM

Geez, I use wire. You can get it tight and it has never failed me.

All these gadgets remind me of the space race. The US wanted to be able to make an ink pen that worked in zero gravity outer space. We spent millions and got one developed. Didn't have to make a whole lot. The Russkies gave their cosmonauts pencils.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 07:18 PM

We just bought some spypoint cameras and they have the thread on the bottom.

Also wanted to get away from the straps so we bought the Browning T post camera mounts and they worked well. As long as you have a T post around.
Posted By: RPG1997

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 07:31 PM

Do those mounts work for other cameras as well? Also, is it pretty stable when it gets really windy?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/05/19 11:11 PM

I wouldn't use those t post mounts if you have cows. One of our lease members had his cameras destroyed by them. I use large zipties and have never had any problems.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/06/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
I just purchased a couple of Browning Command OPs cameras. They have a 1/4" x 20 threaded mount on the bottom. Also very easy to program/set up.

This^^^^

Best game camera Ive ever used. Fill it with Lithium Ion battery’s and you’ll get over 24,000 pics before the batteries die
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/06/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

This^^^^

Best game camera Ive ever used. Fill it with Lithium Ion battery’s and you’ll get over 24,000 pics before the batteries die

I took my new Browning camera out of the box yesterday and the battery tray keeper latch was faulty from the get-go. 'Hope their warranty and Customer Service Dept. is decent. I believe I'll go back to Bushnell next time.

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/08/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

All these gadgets remind me of the space race. The US wanted to be able to make an ink pen that worked in zero gravity outer space. We spent millions and got one developed. Didn't have to make a whole lot. The Russkies gave their cosmonauts pencils.

Ok Boomer

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/08/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by RPG1997
Do those mounts work for other cameras as well? Also, is it pretty stable when it gets really windy?

Yes. What I am describing on game cameras is the same threaded insert you see on most cameras and optical equipment. Gives you a lot more options for mounting and is very stable.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/08/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

This^^^^

I took my new Browning camera out of the box yesterday and the battery tray keeper latch was faulty from the get-go. 'Hope their warranty and Customer Service Dept. is decent. I believe I'll go back to Bushnell next time.

I've only dealt with Browning one time on a bad camera. Called and told them it was leaking water into it when it rained. They said they would send me a new one. I asked if they wanted me to mail the old one back. They said no. New
camera arrived in 4 days. I am very happy with them.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/10/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

My thoughts exactly. Usually I just stick a T post in the ground and use a piece of wire to hold my game camera to it.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/10/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I wouldn't use those t post mounts if you have cows. One of our lease members had his cameras destroyed by them. I use large zipties and have never had any problems.

Had this same issue with cows don’t use them anymore
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/10/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

This^^^^

Had the same issue with one of my browning cameras battery compartment since I’m not using the 1/4-20 insert I used a short machine screw and a washer to hold the compartment closed the batteries last forever so it’s no big deal
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/10/19 11:57 PM

Build your pens large enough to put the t post in the pen. Or put the t post next to a tree or bush. Or mount the camera in a tree. There is s gizmo you can build with eye bolts from tractor supply, cheap. It allows you to adjust the camera vertical and horizontal. You can’t do that with wire or ties.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/11/19 01:15 AM

Has no one thought about putting pipe insulation over a t-post or part of a swim noodle?

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/15/19 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
Build your pens large enough to put the t post in the pen. Or put the t post next to a tree or bush. Or mount the camera in a tree. There is s gizmo you can build with eye bolts from tractor supply, cheap. It allows you to adjust the camera vertical and horizontal. You can’t do that with wire or ties.

[Linked Image]

And this screws into the 1/4″-20 thread insert on bottom
Posted By: MrMadMac

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/15/19 05:02 PM

My new Wildgame Innovations camera with a bottom hatch has a thread insert in the center of the back.
The older models they made did not.

Ram mounts sells a ball with camera thread stud and a ball with a wood screw.
That would provide a lot of mounting options.

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/16/19 03:03 AM

I would think threaded insert on back would work just as well.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/21/19 05:50 AM

For me to count on a tree being in the right place for my camera never happens.

So here is what I do.

I take an old rim with a tire mounted on it, lay it flat on the ground (needs a tire to keep it from being knocked over) -balance point (the no good donut tires work well)
weld a t-post to the middle of it standing straight up,
take a piece of strapping that fits through the slits on the back of the camera
weld it at 4ft or so up the t-post.
slide camera on strapping
drill a hole in the end of the strapping to put a bolt or a piece of wire to stop the camera from coming off the end of the strapping.( if cows decide to mess with it)

option: cut t-post at 3.5- 4ft, instead of strapping, weld a bolt on top of the t-post use the bolt hole on bottom of camera.( I have a camera stand at each of my feeders and find the strapping works better)

You can move them anywhere and have your own tree.
Posted By: Jeff in TX

Re: Mounting Game Cameras - 11/27/19 02:54 PM

I use a T-post to mount all of my cameras. I cut a 6" or so section of 4" PVC pipe and screw to the T-post with self tapping screws after the T-post is pounded in. BTW, you'll need some super hard drill bits and some oil to drill some undersized holes and then the self tapping screws will cut through. Then I simply use the strap that comes with camera to strap it to the PVC pipe. I then screw the strap on both sides to the PVC pipe with self tapping screws. It won't turn or move is had to steal and the setup works great!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum