Texas Hunting Forum

Not too cold for snakes

Posted By: Toxarch

Not too cold for snakes - 11/04/19 06:05 PM

It's been near freezing the last few mornings in North Texas. Stopped by a buddy's farm today around noon. Walked out the back door and stepped way too close to this guy. He rattled and raised up. I heard it and caught movement in my peripheral 2 feet to my right. Instincts took over and I jumped 4 feet away from him and yelled, "What the f#&%!" 

He was in the yard in the shade of the house. Blended in perfect with the grass. He should be in a den somewhere. It was in the 60s mid-day. He was moving pretty quickly trying to get away from me. I yelled for my buddy to grab a shotgun. He came out wondering what I was yelling about. 

He was approximately 44". Haven't seen a rattling nope rope that big (in the wild) in a long time. He had probably been under the pier and beam house. 

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/04/19 06:12 PM

Heck of a surprise, glad he did not get you up Any change of garments needed laugh
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/04/19 06:59 PM

I am not an expert, but think it is pretty common to see snakes out on warm, sunny days, especially when the overnight temps are low. As they come out for some sun to warm up, you may have caught this one leaving the den and heading for the beach for some rays. I would definitely want to know what else is living under the house.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/04/19 07:17 PM

I had just used the facilities so I did not need my brown underwear.
There is a fairly new barn cat living under the house. It was still alive.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/04/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
I am not an expert, but think it is pretty common to see snakes out on warm, sunny days, especially when the overnight temps are low.

Absolutely. We have seen snakes at my place every month of the year. Snakes don't den based on time of the year. As you note, if it is warm you can find them out and about.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/05/19 01:58 AM

WOW!!
🤐
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/05/19 02:06 AM

Was the beer for to calm the nerves
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/05/19 01:45 PM

Less than ideal
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/05/19 02:34 PM

eek
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 02:18 AM

Tall boy beers, nice call!

Big snake, glad you got it
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 01:36 PM

Never too cold for snakes!
I remember driving down a FM road on the way to the lease one morning around 4 a.m. south of SA, and it was around 16* and along the shoulder of the asphalt roadway I kept seeing varying size dark spots, some very small and some very large and in between and it looked like what you would see following a cattle trailer.
We slowed down to take a closer look and it was rattlesnakes seeking the warmth from the roadway.
This went on for miles, and I had to get out and open the gate when we got to the lease so it wasn't a pleasant thought at all.
Never saw that many snakes in one location my entire life, and someone with a front end loader could have made a haul that morning scooping them up that morning.
Posted By: jbseamus83

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 03:24 PM

We've been pretty lucky so far over the last few months at our place and haven't seen any. A couple years ago, it seemed like every time we walked around out there we found one. Cottontails and field mice seem to be down on our place too though, so that probably plays into it some.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 03:44 PM

Closest I have ever come to getting bit was exiting a ground blind in the dark in mid December.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 03:59 PM

yup.... We wear snake boots year around...esp walking to blinds early morning....
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 10:42 PM

This one was out about 2 hours ago. It better hope it finds a meal or two soon, it was pretty thin.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/06/19 11:09 PM

Pretty snake....love those things....thanks for posting…. up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Not too cold for snakes - 11/07/19 02:24 PM

Me and rattlesnakes.... rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum