Texas Hunting Forum

Game Warden Question

Posted By: DH3

Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 07:38 AM

A couple seasons back, I shot a buck at dusk. He ran off and I was able to see a lot of blood on the ground before my flashlight quit.
I got in my truck and headed to my cabin to retrieve a working flashlight; half way there, my grandson met me in his truck and asked what's up.
I told him and he said that his light was working O.K. and he would find my deer.
10 minutes later, he showed up at the cabin with the buck and hung him on my skinning rig. I sat down at a table in the cabin and started filling out my tag.
Now a game warden shows up and comes into the cabin, after introductions, he asks what I am doing.
Its pretty obvious what I was doing, he saw me when he walked in the door while I was filling out my tag.
He gives me a lot of s___ about the need to fill out and attach my tag, IMMEDIATELY after the kill.
Pretty hard to do with no light,...
He wrote me a "warning" ticket.
I thought that he was over efficious.,and told him so.
What say you??
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 08:17 AM

There’s good reason they require it to be done immediately. You use the light as your excuse, but you didn’t use it when it became available. You’re also whining about a warning. You don’t seem to think it’s a big deal, yet here you are making it one.

He probably would have given you a ticket for calling him efficious, if he could figure out what the hell you even meant.

I say....you were lucky.
Posted By: decook

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 09:15 AM

Im with the GW on this one. After a couple of seasons you still remember and your wallet wasn't lightened a few hundred dollars.

I wasn't there of course, but of it were me I would have joined your Grandson. The GW might have been thinking the same thing but heard your story and decided to write a warning instead.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 10:37 AM

You do not fill out your tag until you find the deer dead. It is not his job to harass people but to keep lawbreakers from getting away with doing stupid stuff. Common sense says you were no criminal trying to get away with something.
That is an over zealous warden pulling a power move.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 10:55 AM

You killed a deer when the sun was setting. It is 2019, there is zero excuse for not having a light on you for the evening hunt. In fact a hand held as well as a headlamp are both inexpensive, light weight, and available all over the place. Don't want to carry lights, dont hunt in the evening, because the deer must be tagged before moving the deer.

He has heard didn't have a light, didn't have a pen, didn't have a way of cutting out the date notches. If people do not want to comply to those rules they can stay at the house and not kill the state's deer.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 10:56 AM

I say you should have used your grandson's light, went to your deer and tagged it.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by decook
Im with the GW on this one. After a couple of seasons you still remember and your wallet wasn't lightened a few hundred dollars.

I wasn't there of course, but of it were me I would have joined your Grandson. The GW might have been thinking the same thing but heard your story and decided to write a warning instead.

Had a member a few years ago posted pic's of a nice buck posed up against an old barn as a backdrop. A member here noticed it hadn't been tagged yet and mentioned it. Turns out the pictures were taken after it had been hauled back to camp and gutted, in fact there was never a tagged picture. He came up with a story similar to the op's but the fact was he failed to immediately tag the deer. Not sure how it ended but I do know we have several Game Wardens that frequent this forum. The Fred story was a good one, he'd shot a deer and posted pictures here, what he failed to say was where he shot it. Seems that buck had been taken in an AR county and a game warden even helped Fred look for the buck. They gave up looking and the GW left, seems Fred had them looking in the wrong area because he knew the buck wouldn't make AR minimums. Same Warden saw Fred's post on here and decided to have a little talk with Fred. Fred hasn't posted here since.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:08 AM

I insist on everyday tagging the deer immediately, absolutley immediately.

1). Shoot deer
2). Make sure deer is dead
3). Tag the deer
4). Do other stuff

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by DH3
A couple seasons back, I shot a buck at dusk. He ran off and I was able to see a lot of blood on the ground before my flashlight quit.
I got in my truck and headed to my cabin to retrieve a working flashlight; half way there, my grandson met me in his truck and asked what's up.
I told him and he said that his light was working O.K. and he would find my deer.
10 minutes later, he showed up at the cabin with the buck and hung him on my skinning rig. I sat down at a table in the cabin and started filling out my tag.
Now a game warden shows up and comes into the cabin, after introductions, he asks what I am doing.
Its pretty obvious what I was doing, he saw me when he walked in the door while I was filling out my tag.
He gives me a lot of s___ about the need to fill out and attach my tag, IMMEDIATELY after the kill.
What say you??

Guilty as charged and whiny too. You broke the law and then get mad when a game warden points that out. Then he gives you a warning and your still whining about it two years latter. I've filled out tags by lighter light, flash light and head lights. You fill out that tag before it's loaded and moved. Game Warden had you dead to rights and he let ya go. Your lucky you didn't get your grandson in trouble also, you left him hauling an un-tagged deer that he didn't shoot. That could have really went bad for him.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

Guilty as charged and whiny too. You broke the law and then get mad when a game warden points that out. Then he gives you a warning and your still whining about it two years latter. I've filled out tags by lighter light, flash light and head lights. You fill out that tag before it's loaded and moved. Game Warden had you dead to rights and he let ya go. Your lucky you didn't get your grandson in trouble also, you left him hauling an un-tagged deer that he didn't shoot. That could have really went bad for him.

Good point. I doubt any would pursue it without just cause, but he can be nailed as an accomplice.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:33 AM

You were lucky. Gotta follow the law.

These guys, usually alone, walk into a camp of men with rifles, and there have quite possibly been a few alcoholic beverages already consumed. Even if they have a bit of an attitude (can you blame them?), they have my respect.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:38 AM

Laws very clear. You don't move the deer until its tagged. If he would have caught the grandson with the untagged deer he would have got the ticket.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:49 AM

I doubt any would pursue it without just cause, but he can be nailed as an accomplice.

I doubt it also but a cranky old grand dad could have changed that outcome. So in spite of the cranky grand dad the warden still kept his composure and only issued a warning, grand pa should be feeling very lucky instead of complaining on an open forum about a situation he created.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 12:11 PM

I agree with all of the above. The law is clear, and it’s not complicated.

For photos though, I remove the tag for a second and lay it on the carcass while the photo is taken. I’m not saying that’s wrong or right, but it is what I do. I don’t like a tag on the antlers in a photo.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 12:59 PM

It's on you. Instead of whining about the GW be thankful you only received a warning. Geez, this happened two seasons ago? Hang onto your anger much?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Laws very clear. You don't move the deer until its tagged. If he would have caught the grandson with the untagged deer he would have got the ticket.

Doubtful. Possible I suppose...but most GW's upon hearing the story should recognize the Grandson was NOT involved in the hunting/taking of the animal...only the 'retrieval'. It is NOT required that the person who killed the animal also retrieve it. There could very easily be extenuating circumstances with a hunt that a Game Warden might want to consider.

In this case...the Hunter should have filled out a tag...given it to the Grandson to attach to the animal before it was moved, then there would have been no problem.

It would also be well....to make sure when you go afield that you have all the proper equipment and that it works. As concerns flashlights I NEVER go evening hunting with just one flashlight. Too much possibility of a failure. (One is none, two is one). These days... a source of light (flashlight of some sort) can be had for little money and can be very small. Take two.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:43 PM

I doubt any would pursue it without just cause, but he can be nailed as an accomplice.

I doubt it also but a cranky old grand dad could have changed that outcome. So in spite of the cranky grand dad the warden still kept his composure and only issued a warning, grand pa should be feeling very lucky instead of complaining on an open forum about a situation he created.

Nailed it, again.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
He has heard didn't have a light, didn't have a pen, didn't have a way of cutting out the date notches. If people do not want to comply to those rules they can stay at the house and not kill the state's deer.

Yes, there are many convenient excuses for not tagging a deer immediately, and I'm sure it's something that's often done later.

Your story is one that points to the fact that no one is guilty or guaranteed to be fined just because someone hands you a ticket. It's why the officer should always tell you "This is not an admission of guilt." Thankfully, a local judge has a final decision on that one. Should you ever feel the judge is going to side with you, take the ticket with a smile knowing you'll have your day in court.

While I'm very supportive of all LEO's, we all know there are some who enjoy being overzealous.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by ChrisB

Doubtful. Possible I suppose...but most GW's upon hearing the story should recognize the Grandson was NOT involved in the hunting/taking of the animal...only the 'retrieval'. It is NOT required that the person who killed the animal also retrieve it. There could very easily be extenuating circumstances with a hunt that a Game Warden might want to consider.

In this case...the Hunter should have filled out a tag...given it to the Grandson to attach to the animal before it was moved, then there would have been no problem.

It would also be well....to make sure when you go afield that you have all the proper equipment and that it works. As concerns flashlights I NEVER go evening hunting with just one flashlight. Too much possibility of a failure. (One is none, two is one). These days... a source of light (flashlight of some sort) can be had for little money and can be very small. Take two.

It isn’t likely, but it’s entirely possible. I’ve been told that, myself, by a game warden. Like HWY_MAN mentioned, pushing your luck is a good way to find out.

To be clear, the grandson wouldn’t have received the ticket for the original offense. He would/could be charged as an accomplice, per my conversation with a game warden.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Yes, there are many convenient excuses for not tagging a deer immediately, and I'm sure it's something that's often done later.

Your story is one that points to the fact that no one is guilty or guaranteed to be fined just because someone hands you a ticket. Thankfully, a local judge has a final decision on that one. Should you ever feel the judge is going to side with you, take the ticket with a smile knowing you'll have your day in court.

While I'm very supportive of all LEO's, we all know there are some who enjoy being overzealous.

I agree, and I normally wouldn’t think much of this situation. However, this particular poster has a bit of a reputation of belligerence.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
It's on you. Instead of whining about the GW be thankful you only received a warning. Geez, this happened two seasons ago? Hang onto your anger much?

This was brought up before, immediately after it happened. And DH3 got exactly the same responses from everyone, and argued back with everyone.

What does that tell you?
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 01:53 PM

stir
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 02:00 PM

I dont pretend that I've never broken/bent the rules in life. I catch myself speeding, and every once in a while do it on purpose. I'll get away with it 1000 times but every 4-5 years have been pulled over. If I get a ticket, it's on me. If I get a warning, Im grateful for the leniency & try and be cognizant of my speed for as long as I can either way. Im sure you've spent your hunting life doing things the right way and this was a one off mistake & you seemed like an honest enough guy to the GW to get a pass on this one, otherwise he'd have certainly given you a ticket. Good reminder either way we all need to take every bit of these rules seriously, as much as we can.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 02:01 PM

This was brought up before, immediately after it happened. And DH3 got exactly the same responses from everyone, and argued back with everyone.

What does that tell you?

Good ol JG, Keeping his post count up!!
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 02:10 PM

I'd be happy you got a warning! Game warden could've written you a ticket.

My buddy hunted my place last year and got a doe. Tagged it right away, field dressed it and then brought it to the local processor. He got a call several weeks later from a game warden who had visited the processor and noticed there was a red drum tag on the deer instead of a deer tag. Oops.

The game warden called him up and made him take a picture of his license and text it to him. Game warden realized it was an honest mistake and mailed him a warning. This was another situation where a ticket could've been easily written, but the game warden gave him a break and told him to make sure it didn't happen again.

I mention this story to show that many game wardens are pretty lenient. Most of the ones I've encountered aren't out to get you and understand humans make mistakes. I imagine they give you s___ to help make sure you won't do it again. The game warden who contacted my buddy gave him a lot of s___ and rest assured he'll never make that mistake again smile
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 02:44 PM

I see no problem with the game warden writing a warning or a ticket. Games wardens get unverifiable stories all the time from folks. He found you in possession of an untagged deer at a location where you didn't kill it. That is a ticketable offense.

He did cut you a break. He wrote you a warning. I don't know why you are complaining. You didn't have to pay a fine or argue with the judge about it in court.

If you think you have a valid complaint, take it up with TPWD. Of course, like FJG, they are going to wonder why you waited 2 years.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by DH3

What does that tell you?

Has nothing to do with post count.

You're craving drama and an argument, and I called you on it. The post count argument was, and still is weak as a kitten.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I'd be happy you got a warning! Game warden could've written you a ticket.
Saw it happen to a friend of mine. He shot a doe and a buck in the evening. No pen, so he loaded both deer into the Ranger and drove back to camp. Was sitting at the kitchen table with his license in front of him when the GW walked in. Got two tickets. Fine wasn't much when he explained it to the judge, couple of hundred.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 03:01 PM

I shot a pronghorn once, filled out the tag but put it in my pocket because I was going to have to drag him a ways over some very rough country and didn’t want the tag to come off while dragging him. I was alone.

New Mexico GW met me at the road with his ticket book out. I pulled the filled- out tag from my pocket but also told him I knew I was in violation. He hesitated for a minute, then put his book up and congratulated me on the goat.

I am positive me not arguing or whining was what got me that break.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 03:18 PM

The Fred story was a good one, he'd shot a deer and posted pictures here, what he failed to say was where he shot it. Seems that buck had been taken in an AR county and a game warden even helped Fred look for the buck. They gave up looking and the GW left, seems Fred had them looking in the wrong area because he knew the buck wouldn't make AR minimums. Same Warden saw Fred's post on here and decided to have a little talk with Fred. Fred hasn't posted here since.

I do too, and the was glad I set him straight
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 03:19 PM

I have no GW problems and no LE problems. I have a highhill on my place. At times the local Sheriff Deputies and the GW have sat up there overlooking the road looking for suspicious activities like road or night hunting and or drug deals. Of course, when the Grandsons were under 21 and had some beer they were nervous and wanted me to install a driveway alarm.

They know that they had better tag a deer because he just might stop by
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 03:29 PM

If the Grandson had been caught with the deer before he got back to Gpa, he would have been in a heap of trouble.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 03:54 PM

I know its a serious issue but I hate it when my dad forgets his glasses and shows up to camp with an untagged deer looking for somebody who can see that little print to help him. Makes me nervous as hell. Now that I'm getting older though, that print on the licenses does seem to be shrinking if not getting blurry. A new addition to my hunting pack is a pair of cheaters. I don't want my kids to be as nervous too. rofl If he gets caught I hope the GW takes his sight into account and he just gets a warning. He had cataract surgery so hopefully this year he won't have to take that chance.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 03:56 PM

Don't see where the GW was out of line. That was probably the 100th time that week he'd given that lecture. Follow the rules and you'll never have an issue.
I'm a rule follower by nature....well....except for this one
[Linked Image]
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 04:06 PM

All scolding aside, I do kinda see what OP says.

Our county is full of child molesters, illegals aliens, meth cooks & other sure enough crooks. But we spend so much LE time on ridiculous pissant BS.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 04:12 PM

violin
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DH3

What does that tell you?

violin

I’m just keeping my post count up... rofl

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
All scolding aside, I do kinda see what OP says.

Our county is full of child molesters, illegals aliens, meth cooks & other sure enough crooks. But we spend so much LE time on ridiculous pissant BS.

There are LEOs whose job it is to catch those folks too. Whole departments and agencies in fact at the local, state, and national levels.

A GW’s job is to enforce game laws.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DH3

What does that tell you?

Don't really thing that JG needs to keep up his count. He normally puts good info out. You were wrong. Let it go. Be glad you received a warning. I have worked with Game Wardens for a LONG time, both in Texas and Colorado. I have been fortunate and worked with some very good ones. This has been said many times on this forum about contact with any L/E; your attitude many times will determine theirs. If you don't like the answers you get - don't ask..

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 04:56 PM

I think this thread can be summed up with a quote a very great man, my grandfather, told me a long, long time ago....

If someone calls you a jackarse just ignore it and go on about your business, but if everyone is calling you a jackares you better start looking for a saddle....

I’ll let you figure it out for yourself....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 05:06 PM

Dang shame that in the 21st century our vehicles still don't have headlights, back lights or inside dome lights. Even worse that cell phones don't have lit screens or heaven forbid a flashlight feature these days. rolleyes A WAG on my part is that this is not the first time that GW's have been out to this property.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 05:06 PM

Ahh, the ol' 'busted flashlight' excuse. You have to give the warden a little slack, he's heard that one 100 times and at least 99 they were FOS. You got a warning, which is what you deserved.
Posted By: RPG1997

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 05:11 PM

You have no business complaining about this. You went on an evening hunt knowing full well the sun was going to set soon. You shot the buck at dusk, with night just around the corner. Before you went out hunting, you should have made sure you carried a flashlight with you. What makes it even worse is that YOU didn't go to retrieve the buck, you got your grandson to do it. You not only put yourself in danger of violating the law, but you also put your grandson at risk as well. On top of that, when the game warden approached you and reprimanded you for breaking the law, you insulted him and then came on here and complained about it on here 2 seasons after the fact. This is 100% on you and you have zero excuses. Learn from your mistake, be sure to actually follow the law, and don't whine about it on here. We hunters already get enough crap as it is, we don't need people breaking the law making it worse for us.
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I think this thread can be summed up with a quote a very great man, my grandfather, told me a long, long time ago....

If someone calls you a jackarse just ignore it and go on about your business, but if everyone is calling you a jackares you better start looking for a saddle....

Most fitting
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dink Dodger

Most fitting

I love that quote, they used a similar version on the TV show Justified - "If you run into an [censored] in the morning, you ran into an [censored]. If you run into [censored] all day, you're probably the [censored].".
I said a slightly toned down version to my wife once we she was complaining everyone in the house was being mean to her... I dont recommend using this one on your wife...
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 05:57 PM

GW in our county has no problem with bringing a deer from the stand to camp and then tagging. I fill my tag and log out completely and lay the tag on my console if I am skinning and quartering. Since I skin, gut, & quarter a deer hanging upside down if I tagged the head the tag would become unreadable. If I let one hang (very rare) then I will tag it.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:00 PM

His flashlight must have been a Timex, and I'm still waiting to see the 16" buck make it back from the taxidermist.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:13 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
GW in our county has no problem with bringing a deer from the stand to camp and then tagging. I fill my tag and log out completely and lay the tag on my console if I am skinning and quartering. Since I skin, gut, & quarter a deer hanging upside down if I tagged the head the tag would become unreadable. If I let one hang (very rare) then I will tag it.

I do mine the same way. But the MLD tag is filled out, put in a ziploc bag and tie-wrapped to a buck's antler or through a slit I make in a doe's ear. The tag always remains legible. Now, being MLD, I don't have to tag until I have the deer back at headquarters, and I don't. But it's the first thing I do before I begin cleaning a deer. That way if the GW does show up, I'm always legal.
Posted By: CleerCreekDC

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:31 PM

It has nothing to do with the light. You broke the law. Be thankful you didnt get a ticket or a deer taken.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:48 PM

I feel certain we all know the laws regarding tagging the deer I know for a fact at least two of us are guilty of not tagging one till we get back to camp and I bet we are not alone. Ive been known to go hunting without a pen, evening hunt and morning hunt without a light etc. Im not one that feels like I need to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse and a bug out bag in tow when I go for a hunt on our family ranch. I think there are a lot of people that don't like to play nice with the OP and some holier than thou posts coming out.

I say consider yourself lucky you didn't get a ticket, he interpreted what was going on and decided you weren't a bad guy and gave you a warning to encourage you to do it more right next time.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:49 PM

This thread has potential up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I feel certain we all know the laws regarding tagging the deer I know for a fact at least two of us are guilty of not tagging one till we get back to camp and I bet we are not alone.

I've done it a few times, and had I been caught, I'd have expected at least a warning if not a ticket and would never waste my time sharing the story about how the big bad Game Warden was mean to me.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 07:15 PM

If I get pulled over for speeding, and the officer gives me a warning, I say, "Thank you sir. I will watch my speed better" If a game warden gives me a warning for not tagging my deer properly, I will say, "Thank you sir, I will make sure to tag correctly next time". If you get pulled over for speeding, and receive a warning, do you complain about it? C'mon! It's the same thing.

Now, I did have a game warden that read me the riot act for not having my hunter safety card number printed on my hunting license. Huh? There is no law that says it must be printed on the license, just that you must have it with you...which I did. That pissed me off, because I had not broken any laws. Not even a small one. In your case, you broke a law. Was it a seemingly insignificant law? Yes. Were you attempting to do the right thing by filling out a tag and be within the law? Yes. But you were still outside of the law when he showed up. Thank him for his service and thank him for only giving you a warning.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I say you should have used your grandson's light, went to your deer and tagged it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is exactly what should have happened if his only source of light went bad.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After reading the OP initial response and poor choice of big words I think the game warden should have written you a ticket and hopefully your Grandson would have learned a good life lesson on how not to act hammer

Originally Posted by DH3

I thought that he was over efficious. ([ adjective ] producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect.),and told him so.
What say you??
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 07:58 PM

The sad part to me is that he has heard all the excuses of people trying to get away with something. If people just would follow the rules and use common sense, we wouldn’t have so many laws that seem nonsensical. Again, all these rules/situations we hear about on here are mostly because people try to get away with stuff.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 08:02 PM

I would be curious to know on what grounds the OP didn't feel he deserved a warning or an outright ticket. He admitted to breaking the law. He admitted to involving his grandson in breaking the law.

Not only did he break the law and involve his grandson, but he had opportunity to have tagged the deer before the GW arrived but instead chose to perform other tasks with the deer (unloading it and getting it hung up to process). The tagging regulation isn't vague. So how was the game warden out of line??
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/tagging-instructions/tagging-deer

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I would be curious to know on what grounds the OP didn't feel he deserved a warning or an outright ticket. He admitted to breaking the law. He admitted to involving his grandson in breaking the law.

Not only did he break the law and involve his grandson, but he had opportunity to have tagged the deer before the GW arrived but instead chose to perform other tasks with the deer (unloading it and getting it hung up to process). The tagging regulation isn't vague. So how was the game warden out of line??
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/tagging-instructions/tagging-deer

Whoa, whoa,whoa....hold up there Sparkey....don’t you start muddying thugs up with facts... whip

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Whoa, whoa,whoa....hold up there Sparkey....don’t you start muddying thugs up with facts... whip

roflmao
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 10:09 PM

You killed a deer when the sun was setting. It is 2019, there is zero excuse for not having a light on you for the evening hunt. In fact a hand held as well as a headlamp are both inexpensive, light weight, and available all over the place. Don't want to carry lights, dont hunt in the evening, because the deer must be tagged before moving the deer.

right on

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 10:54 PM

So how was the game warden out of line??

Only one person out of line and it wasn't the game warden.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/30/19 11:07 PM

All I care about is...did he ever move that dang ladder from under the feeder? That thing was driving me f'ing CRAZY! taz
Posted By: Rock Rancher

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
This thread has potential up

This gets my vote for comment of the week, heck maybe even month. I like it.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:56 AM

Grandson shot the deer as far as I am concerned prove different to the GW
Posted By: KyleW

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
That is an over zealous warden pulling a power move.

Doing his job is pulling a power move?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by brokenpole

So let the grandson get the ticket for an untagged deer? Literally passing the buck.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by brokenpole

So let the grandson get the ticket for an untagged deer? Literally passing the buck.

Somebody gets a ticket
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:29 AM

Holy cow.... I've never seen such a large group of holier-than-thou saints gathered in one place before. Some of you armchair warriors talk about tagging as if God himself made the rule LOL

That said, the GW in this case did the right thing by not giving the OP a fine - so he wasn't being a$$, he was just doing his job - reminding you of the rules you need follow while hunting in the great state of Texas. Unfortunately, we live in a time when the government is always going to be up in your business, nothing you can do about it. Forget about it and move on.

Personally, I always tag according to the rules - because I'm just a person who follows the rules, even the stupid ones - but this particular rule is SUPER annoying for anyone who skins and quarters in the field. And let's be honest, it's a crap rule and shouldn't be a fine-able offense.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Binary
Holy cow.... I've never seen such a large group of holier-than-thou saints gathered in one place before.

The irony is palpable.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Holy cow.... I've never seen such a large group of holier-than-thou saints gathered in one place before.

The irony is palpable.

Yep.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:09 AM

Fixed it for you.

Holy cow.... I've never seen such a large group of holier-than-thou saints gathered in one place before. Some of you armchair warriors talk about tagging as if God himself made the rules state law LOL

That said, the GW in this case did the right thing by not giving the OP a fine - so he wasn't being a$$, he was just doing his job - reminding you of the rules state law you need follow while hunting in the great state of Texas. Unfortunately, we live in a time when the government is always going to be up in your business, nothing you can do about it. Forget about it and move on.

Personally, I always tag according to the rules state law - because I'm just a person who follows the rules state law , even the stupid ones - but this particular rules state law is SUPER annoying for anyone who skins and quarters in the field. And let's be honest, it's a crap rules state law and shouldn't be a fine-able offense.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:16 AM

I get what’s going on here and agree with the sentiments by and large.

But, like redchevy said, y’all know anyone who deer hunts any amount has fractured that law a bit at one time or another......
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:22 AM

To answer your question,,he was very courteous in giving you a warning, you should have been prepared in the field. Get over it. Your the type that deserved a real citation not a warning.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:34 AM

did he technically break the law? yes. what real impact does this infraction have on deer or deer hunting? you be the judge. every hunter with the exception of about 9 holy rollers have broken the rules when it comes to deer hunting, kinda hard not to when there are literally pages of them.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Fixed it for you.

Awww, look at you... taking initiative and running around helping out ... such a good little squirrel, your wife trained you well. Come on over here and get your treat now.. LOL

Also....

All laws are rules, but not all rules are laws. ... what do they say about fixing things that ain't broken :P

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:18 AM

Fixed it for you.

Awww, look at you... taking initiative and running around helping out ... such a good little squirrel, your wife trained you well. Come on over here and get your treat now.. LOL

Also....

All laws are rules, but not all rules are laws. ... what do they say about fixing things that ain't broken :P

I would love to know your qualifications about your extensive knowledge of the laws of the state of Texas and the enforcement of them. Please indulge us.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:23 AM

My thoughts

He was under no obligation to retrieve the deer immediately after shooting it. Often waiting is the prudent move. So not having a light that works isn't a requirement.

He also DID tag it immediately upon his grandson returning with the deer. He couldn't be expected to have the tag filled out before the deer was retrieved.

It had to be obvious to the Game Warden that he wasn't planning on not tagging the deer if he was filling out the tag when he arrived.

All that said, the OP shouldn't have been too bent out of shape with the GW being a little pissy if he just gave him a warning.

JR

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:25 AM

Binary, you see things in a very black and white way, all these holier than thou folks chastising a poor fellow hunter.

And yet, you come on here and start chastising the chastisers, and chastising laws that have been around for decades...doesn't that make you holier than the thou of thou, what should we call that the holiest of holies, or just full of holes?

As mentioned above, the irony is palpable. I really hope you made your post tongue in cheek because you sir are Holier than the Holy grail... flehan

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Binary, you see things in a very black and white way, all these holier than thou folks chastising a poor fellow hunter.

And yet, you come on here and start chastising the chastisers, and chastising laws that have been around for decades...doesn't that make you holier than the thou of thou, what should we call that the holiest of holies, or just full of holes?

As mentioned above, the irony is palpable. I really hope you made your post tongue in cheek because you sir are Holier than the Holy grail... flehan

Based on his anti-government comment, I've chalked him off as a typical keyboard commando guy, who probably has zero knowledge or experience about Texas Game Wardens, and why they play such a necessary roll in the protection of the natural resources of Texas.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I really hope you made your post tongue in cheek because you sir are Holier than the Holy grail... flehan

You can just call me the Pope son ... now kiss the ring and move on like a good little lemming.

I would love to know your qualifications about your extensive knowledge of the laws of the state of Texas and the enforcement of them. Please indulge us.

Oh I don't know... does over a decade of providing legal services qualify in your book? Long before I moved into business/corporate law, I worked for the largest criminal defense firm in the city I was living in (happened to be the largest in the state) ... there is literally nothing I haven't seen when it comes to people breaking the law.... here's the thing, 99% of all clients that walked through the door were guilty as sin. The real question is, guilty of what? Guilty of some dumb law passed to help the state raise revenue? Please, the government has spent the better part of the last century pecking away at our liberties with new laws and people like you just bend over and take it with a smile and then preach about how it's necessary for yada yada yada. The criminal justice system is big business like no other, a 100+ billion dollar a year machine (nationwide). A country founded on liberty, with only 4% of the worlds population, and we got 25% of the worlds prison population.

So, do I know a little something about the laws of the US and the great state of TX? lol...maybe just a tad lol ... hell, I helped draft some of them (in multiple states).

But look, if you want to believe that every rule society is forced to follow, whether it's a law about hunting or anything else, is awesome and necessary, that's all you man - have at it. I prefer to see things as they really are and a dumb law is a dumb law... and the tagging law is dumb. I'll keep tagging deer just like the law says, because I'm a law abiding citizen - but that doesn't make it any less dumb. And stop associating my views on the system with individuals that work for the system like GWs/LEOs - most of those guys are great and just doing a job - it's not their fault they have to enforce dumb laws sometimes.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 04:55 AM

If we shouldn’t have to tag them immediately, then when?

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:17 AM

So let me get this straight, you're saying that just because you think a law is dumb, you should still follow it...?

I'm not real smart as you obviously are, writing these laws and then defending criminals that break them but it sounds like to me that 99% of the replies here say that DH should have followed the rules or taken the lumps he was due.

It's ok for you to say the same thing as everyone else since you're the big city lawyer, but any other peon saying the same thing is holier than thou.

Got it...

You are a walking talking contradiction

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Now there's a conversation worth having.

Personally, I think as long as you are in the vicinity of the deer, filling out the log itself is more than adequate. The separate physical tag that has to be attached to the deer is pointless unless you are leaving the deer somewhere, like a processor.

But if a physical tag on the deer is going to be required - then it should be a reasonable standard. This nonsense about having to tag it before you field dress it or move it or skin/quarter it is just silly. There is just no good reason for it. If the log is filled out, it's obvious the person isn't trying to get away with a deer without it counting towards their limit. Which is the whole point right? We want make sure everyone only takes a certain number of deer, so we give them limited tags and make them use them. The sole purpose of these small procedural violations is revenue generation.

So let me get this straight, you're saying that just because you think a law is dumb, you should still follow it...?

No you don't have it straight at all, that's not even "kind of" what I said. Put the meth pipe down, walk away, come back in an hour and read it all again, then try again.

... writing these laws and then defending criminals that break them ...

Well, I've only worked on a hand full of bills, all involving topics of interest. And I don't defend "criminals" anymore, that was a long time ago that I worked criminal defense. Was overall, easy and boring work but I didn't like the clientele. I'm a business/corporate lawyer these days and have been for ages, work is much more fun (and much more complex).

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:40 AM

I'll keep tagging deer just like the law says, because I'm a law abiding citizen - but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

Nope, not even kind of

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:43 AM

Ray Wylie Hubbard once said " the problem with irony is that not everyone gets it"

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:47 AM

The fact that you think this:
... and the tagging law is dumb. I'll keep tagging deer just like the law says, because I'm a law abiding citizen - but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

means the same thing as this:

Makes you more of a Ding Dong than a Dink Dodger :P Thanks for playing though.

Did you just quote some nobody musician? LOL Good Lord....

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Now there's a conversation worth having.

Personally, I think as long as you are in the vicinity of the deer, filling out the log itself is more than adequate. The separate physical tag that has to be attached to the deer is pointless unless you are leaving the deer somewhere, like a processor.

But if a physical tag on the deer is going to be required - then it should be a reasonable standard. This nonsense about having to tag it before you field dress it or move it or skin/quarter it is just silly. There is just no good reason for it. If the log is filled out, it's obvious the person isn't trying to get away with a deer without it counting towards their limit. Which is the whole point right? We want make sure everyone only takes a certain number of deer, so we give them limited tags and make them use them. The sole purpose of these small procedural violations is revenue generation.

No you don't have it straight at all, that's not even "kind of" what I said. Put the meth pipe down, walk away, come back in an hour and read it all again, then try again.

... writing these laws and then defending criminals that break them ...

Well, I've only worked on a hand full of bills, all involving topics of interest. And I don't defend "criminals" anymore, that was a long time ago that I worked criminal defense. Was overall, easy and boring work but I didn't like the clientele. I'm a business/corporate lawyer these days and have been for ages, work is much more fun (and much more complex).

Makes sense. I do agree with the part about revenue generation, in general.

Keep in mind, Texas didn’t always have the log on the license. I’m sure the tagging immediately law preceded it. It may seem redundant, but I guess nobody felt the need to remove it from the books.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

You shot a buck that ran off. On the way back to camp to get a flashlight you meet your grandson who has a light. You go on to camp and hang out while your grandson alone goes to your stand to track a deer that ran off, find the deer, by himself load up the deer, then drive back to the cabin with it. Is that the way I read this?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 10:24 AM

Most, but certainly not all GW’s have good sense. Take the new law re license on phone as versus paper. There areas on my land where I get no signal. And yet, if I shoot a deer there and move it to another area, I’m breaking the law.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

You shot a buck that ran off. On the way back to camp to get a flashlight you meet your grandson who has a light. You go on to camp and hang out while your grandson alone goes to your stand to track a deer that ran off, find the deer, by himself load up the deer, then drive back to the cabin with it. Is that the way I read this?

Pretty much the way I took it.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 11:26 AM

Gosh I am honored to be a member of a group that breaks through the BS and recognizes what's right. Getting a warning when you break the law and then complaining about it publicly shows a complete lack of gratitude. These guys confront armed nut cases daily and still show understand and compassion. Thank you GW for being a decent guy!!!!

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

Game warden walks up and most likely seen the untagged buck, walks through the door and finds grand paw scrambling to fill out a tag. So is grand pa filling out the tag because it's the law or is he doing it because he saw the game warden had showed up. As you pointed out there was plenty of time to tag that buck and grand pa chose to use none of it. Wouldn't be the first or the last time somebody has tried to keep from burning a tag. So is the warden to believe what he see's or or believe what he's told? My experience with Law Enforcement was limited to about 5 1/2 years and started back in the early 90. Our SO was very short staffed and the Sheriff told his deputies to find somebody to ride with them on the weekends and my buddy chose me (There's allot more to that part of the story). We worked 8:00 PM to around 4:00 pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Since we worked the county we also worked with the PD, DPS and the Game Warden. As I've said before I am not nor have I ever been a Peace Officer but I was lucky and honored to have experienced what they do on a daily basis. One of the first things I learned when questioning someone suspected of a crime was how agitated and defensive some become. Also noted was how the mad/agitated ones would put on quite a show before finally admitting that they may have committed a violation. Were I a Game Warden and walked into grand pa's camp and see an untagged buck hanging he's going to have to convince me that what I'm seeing isn't true. He's going to have a really hard time if he starts the conversation being arrogant, bitter and angry. Another noted observation when talking to suspect's. about 90+ percent of the time they're being less than truthful. Hence the 90% rule, If they're lips are moving they're lying.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:13 PM

Game warden walks up and most likely seen the untagged buck, walks through the door and finds grand paw scrambling to fill out a tag. So is grand pa filling out the tag because it's the law or is he doing it because he saw the game warden had showed up.

That was my thought.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:26 PM

Just a little story to go with this one. We got a call about a suspicious vehicle in the nth east part of the county. We find a vehicle matching the description and start to follow it, sure enough he manages to run a stop sign and we lit him up. Before we can even get to the vehicle he's already mad and talking smack, get him to the front of the patrol car and he makes that famous comment ""Don't you have anything better to do?"". My buddy looked him in the eyes and calmly said "" No Sir! It's been a slow day so I plan to make the most out of this stop.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:38 PM

I got a feeling there is more to the story and it probably would reveal some more lack of judgement confused2

Problem with some people is they have low scruples to begin with, others are lazy and figure no big deal. There is probably a progression where they probably decide they only need to follow the law just enough to stay out of trouble hammer Others buy land and feel entitled that it's my land and I can do as I please regardless of the laws, then there are also the ones that recently come into money either work or inheritance and become really arrogant and think they are above the law.

I believe about 75% follow the letter of the law completely, another 15% just make minor mistakes in judgement, 7% our arrogant opportunist that will break the law for their own selfish reasons and the other 3% are just flat outlaws who poach with no regard for law or other peoples property or well being,

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Most, but certainly not all GW’s have good sense. Take the new law re license on phone as versus paper. There areas on my land where I get no signal. And yet, if I shoot a deer there and move it to another area, I’m breaking the law.

You might be confused on a couple of points. There IS a new law that allows one to provide photographic proof of license in lieu of having it physically on your person, however...it only pertains to instances when a TAG is not required. In the case of deer hunting a tag would be required... so you would need to have the license with you.

Note: You would not need cell phone service to access the photos on your phone, so you are good there.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

There are two sides to every story. I don't know the op from adam, but I can definitely see a potential other side. You see him being a lazy pos, I see him as having a grandson that was raised right. As a teen in the same position I would have told my Opie, God rest his soul, to get back to camp get a cup of coffee and I'd have his deer there in a jiffy.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

There are two sides to every story. I don't know the op from adam, but I can definitely see a potential other side. You see him being a lazy pos, I see him as having a grandson that was raised right. As a teen in the same position I would have told my Opie, God rest his soul, to get back to camp get a cup of coffee and I'd have his deer there in a jiffy.

That is a great point only if the OP has health issues? If he did have health issues but healthy enough to hunt, he could have at least followed or gotten in the truck with his grandson and rode with him and filled his tag out in the truck and had his grandson put it on the deer where it laid.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 12:56 PM

Yeah maybe, or maybe he is just 80 years old. My old man is only in his 50's and he hasn't loaded or gutted or tracked or skinned... you get the picture... a deer or fish he got when my brother I are with him since I was 10 or 12 years old and he is in fine health. I figure I owe a lot to him may as well do as much as I can.

Plain and simple a lot of yal don't like the op and your letting it turn you into a bunch of bickering negative Nancie's.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:06 PM

OK. So can you see any reason for him to become belligerent and angered by the visit? Can you see any reason for him to still be angry and belligerent about it two years later? His actions and his alone created the whole situation, had he turned around when he met his grandson and went and retrieved and tagged the deer this would have been a non story. And like you said there is two sides to every story, this is only one side might surprise you what the other has to say.

First question I'd ask the Warden is what was his reason for going to that particular camp? Was he dispatched there, was he already in the area, did he see something, hear something? Another good question would be what time all this took place?

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:13 PM

OK. So can you see any reason for him to become belligerent and angered by the visit? Can you see any reason for him to still be angry and belligerent about it two years later? His actions and his alone created the whole situation, had he turned around when he met his grandson and went and retrieved and tagged the deer this would have been a non story. And like you said there is two sides to every story, this is only one side might surprise you what the other has to say.

First question I'd ask the Warden is what was his reason for going to that particular camp? Was he dispatched there, was he already in the area, did he see something, hear something? Another good question would be what time all this took place?

I don't know what happened there any more than you do. I think it speaks volumes that the warden gave him a warning. Ive never been given a warning when I was angered and belligerent towards a law enforcement officer... ive never been belligerent with one though.

I don't like people on our place that don't need to be there. We got checked by the warden with a clean bill of no violations and friendly conversation. When he left I as politely as possible told him I didn't think he should have a key to the lock on our gate and would appreciate it if he didn't use it again.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:17 PM

Well, no one can accuse us of not getting the most out of this post. smile

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:25 PM

I don't like people on our place that don't need to be there. We got checked by the warden with a clean bill of no violations and friendly conversation. When he left I as politely as possible told him I didn't think he should have a key to the lock on our gate and would appreciate it if he didn't use it again.

And we make sure he has the combination to every gate on the ranch and welcome anytime.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

beat that dead horse good huh?

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:27 PM

It's cold as hell out here ( 18 degree's) and I'll be busting ice all around the ranch, just putting it off.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:32 PM

And we make sure he has the combination to every gate on the ranch and welcome anytime.

I got nothing against the law enforcement. I don't contact the sheriff and police give them a key to my house and tell them to come check on me anytime they please either.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:32 PM

It's cold as hell out here ( 18 degree's) and I'll be busting ice all around the ranch, just putting it off.

Have another cup, they can bust puddles till you get there. smile

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 01:33 PM

Have another cup, they can bust puddles till you get there. smile

Good day for coffee all day heres to yal cheers

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:12 PM

Yeah maybe, or maybe he is just 80 years old. My old man is only in his 50's and he hasn't loaded or gutted or tracked or skinned... you get the picture... a deer or fish he got when my brother I are with him since I was 10 or 12 years old and he is in fine health. I figure I owe a lot to him may as well do as much as I can.

Plain and simple a lot of yal don't like the op and your letting it turn you into a bunch of bickering negative Nancie's.

Originally Posted by Stub
That is a great point only if the OP has health issues? If he did have health issues but healthy enough to hunt, he could have at least followed or gotten in the truck with his grandson and rode with him and filled his tag out in the truck and had his grandson put it on the deer where it laid.

My whole point and a logical one is if he is in good enough condition/health to go to his blind, pull the trigger and briefly look for the deer until his light goes out then drive back to camp, then he is probably healthy enough to either follow or go with his grandson to tag the deer he shot and is legally obligated to tag it where it lays. And again if he has respect for the game laws and life in general he should want to set a good example for his grandson right?

I have zero against the OP, do not know him, do not think I have ever said a negative about him?

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:14 PM

He made an effort to tag the deer. I think the warden saw it that way to and gave him a warning.

Looks like his grandson already had a good example and took care of business.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:23 PM

He made an effort to tag the deer. I think the warden saw it that way to and gave him a warning.

Looks like his grandson already had a good example and took care of business.

Okay I get it the glass is half full regardless up

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:25 PM

It's ok for you to say the same thing as everyone else since you're the big city lawyer, but any other peon saying the same thing is holier than thou.

You are a walking talking contradiction

^^^^^

You already said "Lawyer", that covers a lot of redundancies.
wink

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 02:58 PM

Yeah, that was my thought on it as well. As long as tags are being expended, everything else is just silly.

I got nothing against the law enforcement. I don't contact the sheriff and police give them a key to my house and tell them to come check on me anytime they please either.

And that's how 99% of people feel.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:11 PM

Strange bunch.

Seems it all depends on who is telling a one sided story as to how other folks react to it.
If it was your story about your interaction with a GW most would profess to be in the right (100% truth, by gawd), but any of them other folks, of course the GW was right.
You know the laws - you got lucky, you should a, or could a, or I would a, 15 yard penalty for un sportsman like conduct, hang him.

Threads like this can't get any funnier, irony & hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Obvious - Hook, line & sinker.

Or is it oblivious.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
...irony & hypocrisy knows no bounds.

And arrogance.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:48 PM

The real moral to this story has nothing to do with following rules or proper attitudes towards LE, but rather learn to shoot your damn rifle accurately to limit the needs of tracking and flashlights

At your age and obvious shooting issues (remember when we changed your screen name to DH4 as in 4 shots to zero your rifle) it might be time to hang it up?

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232

At your age and obvious shooting issues (remember when we changed your screen name to DH4 as in 4 shots to zero your rifle) it might be time to hang it up?

I have no clue on the name change but if you gotta be able to zero a rifle in 4 shots I bet the majority of the state is out on hunting then.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 04:09 PM

A post by DH3........................ rofl

This list is for NEWBIES. You might not agree with some or all,,if so, YOU are NOT a newbie!
1.Get in your blind one hour BEFORE official sunrise.
2.Take something to drink (Hot or Cold) and a snack that is packaged in something that will NOT MAKE ANY NOISE.
3.Sit at the back of the blind and in one corner (if possible).
4.Use a shooting rest (sandbag or a commercial, eared rest)
5.To pass the time, take a small transistor radio AND EARPHONES.
6.If you position your shooting rest properly, you should be able to brace your elbow against the inside of the blind (maybe a cross brace) with the rifle foreend in the rest. It should be almost as steady as a benchrest w/sandbags.
7.Use ONE window (the one that faces the feeder/foodplot. More windows allow for deer to see your body or head swivel...not a good plan.
8.Place the vertical crosshair just a smidgen behind the front leg and the horizontal crosshair 1/3 of the way up from the deers sternum.
9.Sight in your rifle, BEFORE you go hunting. Use the SAME ammo that you used to sight in to hunt.
10.A pair of heavy duty pruning shears makes the job of removing the deers legs at the joint very easy.
11.After your deer is tagged, be sure to fill in the back of your license to indicate date and location of your kill (Wardens will catch you on this one).
12. Try to get your deer skinned and the meat cooled out (or on ice) as soon as possible after the shot. It will make a big difference in the taste of your venison.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64

This list is for NEWBIES. You might not agree with some or all,,if so, YOU are NOT a newbie!
2.Take something to drink (Hot or Cold) and a snack that is packaged in something that will NOT MAKE ANY NOISE.
6.If you position your shooting rest properly, you should be able to brace your elbow against the inside of the blind (maybe a cross brace) with the rifle foreend in the rest. It should be almost as steady as a benchrest w/sandbags.
7.Use ONE window (the one that faces the feeder/foodplot. More windows allow for deer to see your body or head swivel...not a good plan.
8.Place the vertical crosshair just a smidgen behind the front leg and the horizontal crosshair 1/3 of the way up from the deers sternum.
9.Sight in your rifle, BEFORE you go hunting. Use the SAME ammo that you used to sight in to hunt.
10.A pair of heavy duty pruning shears makes the job of removing the deers legs at the joint very easy.
11.After your deer is tagged, be sure to fill in the back of your license to indicate date and location of your kill (Wardens will catch you on this one).
12. Try to get your deer skinned and the meat cooled out (or on ice) as soon as possible after the shot. It will make a big difference in the taste of your venison.

That’s actually a pretty good basic list for the newer hunters. I modify #7 by using all windows but with camo netting on them.

Someone ought to start a thread like that again for the new guys.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:23 PM

Lazy, age, or health never crossed my mind. I just think this is highly unusual.

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 05:51 PM

I have no clue on the name change but if you gotta be able to zero a rifle in 4 shots I bet the majority of the state is out on hunting then.

LOL... yeah, if what I see at the rifle range is any indication, I would guess that somewhere over 80% of people can't zero a rifle in 4 shots. I think the only thing that is evidence of is that someone can't zero their rifle in under 4 shots....

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64

That’s actually a pretty good basic list for the newer hunters. I modify #7 by using all windows but with camo netting on them.

Someone ought to start a thread like that again for the new guys.

ITs #11 that had me laughing as its what this thread is all about and the OP made the list

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 07:31 PM

LOL... yeah, if what I see at the rifle range is any indication, I would guess that somewhere over 80% of people can't zero a rifle in 4 shots. I think the only thing that is evidence of is that someone can't zero their rifle in under 4 shots....

Stands to reason though (more than four shots). Different than 'checking' your scope/rifle from the last time you shot it.

Even IF you sight your rifle in with two shots (print one shot, move reticle over to it) you still should shoot a 3 shot 'group' to verify point of impact... then wait for the barrel to cool and shoot one 'cold bore' shot...which can print in quite a different place. Although there is no shortage of nimrods at most rifle ranges, some are shooting more than 4 shots to be thorough.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 08:34 PM

I believe that was our previous argument. He bore sighted, zeroed, and went hunting with only four shots. Never bothering to shoot for a group.

It was a while ago so can't recall exactly

Re: Game Warden Question - 10/31/19 09:23 PM

I believe that was our previous argument. He bore sighted, zeroed, and went hunting with only four shots. Never bothering to shoot for a group.

Ahhh.....got it. Thanks

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 12:45 PM

I politely recommended letting it cool after the first three, shoot three, cool, shoot three. That's only 9 rounds, and is the minimum fouling I will do to a new barrel. I have seen them walk around on each group. I've seen some rifles take 20 rounds to behave themselves. He was hearing none of it.
Posted By: Rock Rancher

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 03:51 PM

When he left I as politely as possible told him I didn't think he should have a key to the lock on our gate and would appreciate it if he didn't use it again.

I'm curious how that went over. Please do tell.

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Rancher

When he left I as politely as possible told him I didn't think he should have a key to the lock on our gate and would appreciate it if he didn't use it again.

Smooth as glass. Im not sure about the legality of it in the first place, not sure he was either. I know wardens have the right to enter property that they believe hunting is taking place on, but im pretty sure having a power company lock key is off color.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 04:27 PM

I got no comment on the warning ticket. But I will say, I keep a headlamp and spare batteries everywhere I go. Saves a lot of trouble.

Energizer makes some of the brightest headlamps I have used and they are dirt cheap. Toss one under the back seat of the pickup with a spare set of batteries and forget about it. Same place I keep the old single shot 12 gauge and a cheap little shakespeare dock pole, the spinning combo. It will be there when you need it.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 08:04 PM

The GW should have taken the deer, your hunting license, gun and left you a ticket.

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
The GW should have taken the deer, your hunting license, gun and left you a ticket.

Then hung him by the gonads, peeled his skin off in small strips and thrown salt on him, right? Pffffft.....come on. Game Warden did the right thing.

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/01/19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Right on........that's how you stop crime.........a week in jail too.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/02/19 12:01 AM

Ok, maybe just a warning.

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/02/19 12:07 AM

Smooth as glass. Im not sure about the legality of it in the first place, not sure he was either. I know wardens have the right to enter property that they believe hunting is taking place on, but im pretty sure having a power company lock key is off color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-fields_doctrine
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/02/19 12:34 AM

Jesus, this thread's like a turd that won't flush.
Posted By: decook

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/02/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

This. The OP got his laugh.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/05/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

Great point. Good on you and his grandkids for doing the right thing and retrieving the deer. Grandpa, in this case, should’ve done the right thing and handed the grandson the filled tag before they separated and it would’ve been a much more believable story and probably would’ve avoided the warning.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/05/19 08:51 PM

I think you’re more upset about being dressed down in front of your grandson
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/05/19 09:11 PM

Well...here is the code relating to that subject:

Sec. 12.103. ENTERING LAND; USE OF INFORMATION OBTAINED BY ENTRY; CIVIL PENALTY. (a) To enforce the game and fish laws of the state and to conduct scientific investigations and research regarding wild game or fish, an authorized employee of the department may enter on any land or water where wild game or fish are known to range or stray. No action may be sustained against an employee of the department to prevent his entering on land or water when acting in his official capacity as described by this subsection.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (d), the department may use information collected by an employee of the department on privately owned land only for the purposes of scientific investigations and research described in Subsection (a) and only if authorized in writing by the landowner or the landowner's agent. Unless the department first obtains the written consent of the landowner or the landowner's agent, the department may not:
(1) use other incidental information obtained on the land that does not pertain directly to the investigation or research authorized under Subsection (a); or
(2) enter or permit the entry of any information that does not pertain directly to the investigation or research authorized under Subsection (a), into a database:
(A) maintained by the department and available to a person other than a department employee;
(B) maintained by a natural heritage program administered by the department; or
(C) established and maintained by any other person.
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), information collected under this section may only be reported or compiled in a manner that prevents the identification of an individual parcel or specific parcels of private property without the written consent of the landowner or the landowner's agent.
(d) The department may collect and enter data as necessary relating to the occurrence or harvest of natural resources in public land or water. The department may collect and report standardized annual wildlife survey information required by the Pitman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act (16 U.S.C. Section 669 et seq.).
(e) The department is liable to a private landowner for a civil penalty in the amount of $1,000 for a violation of this section involving information collected by an employee of the department on the landowner's property. A landowner may bring suit to collect the penalty in the county in which the land is located or the county in which the landowner resides.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 521, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Full text here:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PW/htm/PW.12.htm#12.102
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/06/19 02:32 PM

What does your grandson think of the situation?
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/06/19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by decook
Originally Posted by skinnerback

This. The OP got his laugh.

This for sure
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/08/19 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

I'm with the game warden too, your lucky you got away with a warning, many moons ago a friend of mine dragged his first archery deer to his truck before tagging it and he ended up getting a ticket and his deer taken. You tag them before even moving them after harvest.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/08/19 03:13 AM

Maybe I’m doing it wrong. By I

1. Decide what type of deer I’m gonna shoot.

2. Pre fill out the tag.

3. Locate deer

4. Shoot deer

Saves a lot of problems.

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/08/19 03:25 AM

5. Tag the deer before loading it up in the truck and carrying it back to the cabin and hanging it up to butcher.
Posted By: okietex

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/08/19 04:42 AM

This is what's wrong with the world. The man was acting in a good manor on his own land with good intent. Geesh it sounds like my wife got a hold of everyone's computer. Lets go back to why this is a law? Now, was he purposely violating the law for its intention?

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/08/19 04:47 AM

popcorn
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/08/19 02:46 PM

The warden cannot tell whether you shot the buck or your grandson shot the buck. He probably saw your grandson hang the untagged buck. For all he knows, your grandson shot the buck and is using your tag. If I were a warden, I would have given your grandson a ticket for possessing an untagged deer and confiscated the deer. The warden cannot tell your true intentions and what he saw was exactly what someone trying to circumvent the law would do. This is why the law exists that you must tag the deer immediately. I bet he has come upon this same situation several times. The rule is at the moment, not in the future or in the past. Unless he knew you shot the deer the assumption is you were both attempting to break the law.

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/11/19 11:02 PM

You just need to shut your dumbass mouth...Got It??
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Game Warden Question - 11/11/19 11:11 PM

You started a thread and asked a question, then didn't like some or any of the answers you got,,, and someone besides you should shut their mouth....

No matter the situation or circumstances;
A warning ticket is a much better outcome than a citation for an untagged deer in your possession..

End of story.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum