Texas Hunting Forum

Educate me on Game cameras.

Posted By: Superduty

Educate me on Game cameras. - 10/28/19 06:57 PM

I need to get a gift for a hunting friend of mine. I am thinking about a game camera with bells and whistles.

So for him to get his pictures the old sd card is the way to go?

This is a rural area so no wifi but there is cell service, is there other options for him to get the pictures remotely? Like in a different city? Does this require a cell phone plan....pre paid card? How does it work?

Thank you.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Educate me on Game cameras. - 10/29/19 02:23 PM

Yes, all the cellular game cameras require some sort of plan. Some are cheap and some not so much, you need to shop. Me and two other buddies have purposely bought different brands to see if we could field test and determine the best...what I am learning is they all have pluses and minuses.

Example - Snyper Commander is what I have and they've worked great and fairly affordable plans. The biggest negative, you cannot change setting remotely.

One buddy has Ridgetec and I'd put it right there with the Snyper but you have control remotely over your camera settings.

Another had 3 or 4 different SpyPoints….they've all taken a dump and he had to return them because SpyPoint customer service got completely unresponsive. He's now trying Bushnell and Moultrie.

That's what I know....hopefully if nothing else it let's you know how they work and stay away from SpyPoint.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Educate me on Game cameras. - 10/29/19 02:43 PM

spend the money on a Reconyx and never look back.. a bit more pricy but well worth it....I have had every brand out there and most last no more than 3 years.... I have reconyx going on 9 years...
Posted By: RWHunting

Re: Educate me on Game cameras. - 10/29/19 06:20 PM

4 years on my Spartan and it still works great
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Educate me on Game cameras. - 10/29/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Yes, all the cellular game cameras require some sort of plan. Some are cheap and some not so much, you need to shop. Me and two other buddies have purposely bought different brands to see if we could field test and determine the best...what I am learning is they all have pluses and minuses.

Example - Snyper Commander is what I have and they've worked great and fairly affordable plans. The biggest negative, you cannot change setting remotely.

One buddy has Ridgetec and I'd put it right there with the Snyper but you have control remotely over your camera settings.

Another had 3 or 4 different SpyPoints….they've all taken a dump and he had to return them because SpyPoint customer service got completely unresponsive. He's now trying Bushnell and Moultrie.

That's what I know....hopefully if nothing else it let's you know how they work and stay away from SpyPoint.

I am impressed with these new Moultrie cameras too, they really chop the price to a level that is affordable for most everyone and the app controls and images are impressive for the initial cost
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum