Texas Hunting Forum

Game cameras

Posted By: p-dawg

Game cameras - 10/26/19 02:36 AM

What's yall favorite game cam? And cost?
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 02:41 AM

Browning. You can find them on sale 79-99.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 01:36 PM

The ones that are easy to program, have clear pictures, do not eat batteries, and do not cost a lot...……….Browning has been good for me the last 6 seasons. Cuddeback does not.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 02:43 PM

I buy the cheap wild game innovations $30-40 THEY LAST A FEW years. Don't get caught in mega picture quality because you will look at your pictures and only save a few.
These cameras are EZ to program also. Found a 3 pack at academy last year for $100.00.

CAMERA TIP: I always format my SD Cards before using and never has an SD Card issue.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by p-dawg
What's yall favorite game cam? And cost?

Check the hunting gear section and look at the thread I have there
Posted By: woolybooger

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 04:00 PM

Browning hands down. $99
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by woolybooger
Browning hands down. $99

Guess I'm going to find out. I've been running Moultrie M880's the last 5-6 yrs. they stay out year 'round. Recently....two of them died and I am replacing them with Browning Command OPs Pro Series. Should have them in the next few days. Seen mixed reviews on them.
Posted By: p-dawg

Re: Game cameras - 10/26/19 11:12 PM

Thank you all for yalls input popcorn
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Game cameras - 10/27/19 04:14 PM

Browning 365 24/7. Running about a dozen of them
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Game cameras - 10/27/19 10:31 PM

Bushnell trophy cams have been great to me for the non-cellular cameras we run. Great pics and don’t take pics of the grass like some others. I’ve gotten them cheaper but they are about 100 bucks a camera now.
Posted By: RPG1997

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 12:29 AM

Unlike most people on here it seems, I've had good luck with Stealth Cam. I use G45NGX and DS4K and they have worked great and been reliable for me. I also use Browning and they've been reliable as well. I've also had experience with Bushnells on research projects and they worked great for the project; the batteries lasted a good time, the picture quality was good, and they didn't give us any trouble at all. Wildgame Innovations has been a mixed bag for me honestly. Overall, for the cost, I would recommend Browning as the best bang for your buck.

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Browning 365 24/7. Running about a dozen of them

Good to hear. I've got a couple on the way to replace some Moultrie M880's that I've had out for about 5-6 yrs (also 365-24/7).
Posted By: rickym

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 02:40 AM

Browning strike force, depending on where and when you find them-$79.99-$139.99.

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 04:33 AM

I hope the Brownings I ordered are easy to program. The Moultries I've been running (while they have lasted a long time) are pure misery to program.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 11:10 AM

we run 15-20 cameras and been using Moultrie Panoramic - they eat batteries like candy and when the battery levels reach 50% they quit taking night pictures. Contacted Moultrie several times with zero customer support - we are changing them all out next season - may look at Brownings although we have tried most every brand with little luck. The heat is tough on them I know but I am concluding that all of them are pretty much junk
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
we run 15-20 cameras and been using Moultrie Panoramic - they eat batteries like candy and when the battery levels reach 50% they quit taking night pictures. Contacted Moultrie several times with zero customer support - we are changing them all out next season - may look at Brownings although we have tried most every brand with little luck. The heat is tough on them I know but I am concluding that all of them are pretty much junk

I have one of those and when it is working it’s awesome, but the rest of the time it kills batteries and I get more pictures of nothing than any other camera I own.

Re: Game cameras - 10/28/19 08:32 PM

Well the Big Brown Truck just dropped these off....so we will see how they do.

Attached picture Brwn game cameras.jpg

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 12:12 AM

Brownings are EASY to program it turns out.

Unlike my Moultries (some degrees required). frown

Got them programmed and out in the field. Just waiting now to see how they compare.

Got videos today of bucks checking out the does and some 'chasing' going on already...but my Moultries don't have audio capability, so it will be fun to see what Brownings produce.

Attached picture Jcat cam1.jpg
Attached picture Jcat_cam2.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 09:46 AM

I bought my first cam when they used 35mm film. No idea how many I've bought since then. Including a couple of no flash that I have around the house and ponds for uninvited guests. All in all, I would have to go with Cuddebak and old time Moultris as the easiest to program and longest lasting. A bunch are junk and take hundreds of pics every time a bunch of hogs come by.

Try putting 2 by a feeder. They never agree.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 12:48 PM

Not intending to hijack the post, but what batteries give y'all the longest life? I'm tired of replacing akalines, every time I check my cameras.

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 07:11 PM

So.....I placed a couple of Browning Command OPs cameras out yesterday afternoon. These are replacing 2 of 5 Moultrie M880's that I've had for 5-6 years (run them 365-24/7).

Anxious to see what they would do....I pulled the cards this morning.

Obviously, I can't speak to their overall performance yet...since it will take time to gather more video under different weather/lighting conditions, distances, subjects, etc...

But my first impressions are as follows:

1. They are MUCH easier to program than my M880's.
2. They use 6 instead of 8 AA batteries. We will see how that effects battery life.
3. They are somewhat smaller than the M880's, less conspicuous.
4. Access to batteries and SD card, no better or worse.
5. IR intensity and range about the same.
6. Detection range seems to be about the same.
7. Trigger speed slightly better than the M880's
8. Ambient light detection MUCH better than M880's. The Moultries are terrible about 'hunting' at last light and first light. They can't make up their minds whether to use the IR emitters or not. So you end up with 5-6 completely dark videos with every low light event. Browning works great!
9. Browning camera has audio...kind of neat.
10 Browning camera does NOT have good color rendering, at least not in the green spectrum. The foliage appears very yellow looking when it is in fact dark green.

After running them for awhile.....I will report back if any of my observations have changed. Except for the disparity in playback color, I think I will be happy with these. They are sort of 'budget' tier cameras...after all.

Posted By: Tx_ranger482vs

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 10:03 PM

Reconyx. Little pricey but better quality and customer service. Think they are around $450
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 10:37 PM

'Ran a dozen Bushnells on the last lease, for 4 years. 2 of them were mine that I'd used before that a few years. Not a single problem from any of them.

Now running a couple of Brownings and they've been fine, once you get them dialed in. I just bought a 3rd Browning with Cabela's points.

Also using one StealthCam that I've had a few years. Not impressed with the motion sensor at all. It's always been funky. I just watched a bale of alfalfa disappear over 7 days and there were 5 pictures total. Five. Granted, one was this guy:

[Linked Image]

As you can see, the picture quality isn't the best.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Game cameras - 10/29/19 10:39 PM

Fellow forum member just put out the new Moultrie cellular game camera and from initial use, it appears to be a home run, especially at $130 with the rebate. Ease to program remotely, no disturbing the area, no sorting thru images on your PC, delivered to you phone thru the app or desktop portal.

I have been using the Ridgetec cellular and I am happy to not have to sit and sort images, I know almost immediately what is at the feeder.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum