Texas Hunting Forum

Arrowhead hunting-pay digs

Posted By: cos

Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/25/19 10:13 PM

Anyone been to one of the pay digs in hill country or have recommendations on a decent pay dig.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/25/19 10:35 PM

'Don't know anything about them. Hondo Crouch used to chip his own, lay them out in the two-track leading to the house for guests to pick up. When they'd turn them over, there'd be a price tag with 25 cents on it. grin
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/25/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Don't know anything about them. Hondo Crouch used to chip his own, lay them out in the two-track leading to the house for guests to pick up. When they'd turn them over, there'd be a price tag with 25 cents on it. grin

roflmao

Who’s Hondo Crouch? I’d love to know more about this fella.

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

roflmao

Who’s Hondo Crouch? I’d love to know more about this fella.

He bought...and ruined Luckenbach, but mine is an unpopular and jaded opinion. He did have true entertainment talent and wit. As with many talented entertainers, the backstory is a bit tawdry and sad. cool
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 12:31 AM

There's a place in Bell county where you can did for 20 bucks a day

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 02:06 AM

Is the place in Bell county the Chrisner Ranch? Been there a few years ago.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cos

Yes Did you have any luck ?
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 10:20 AM

roflmao

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 01:48 PM

Found three points and some stone tools out at Chrisner Ranch. All day. Very hard digging.
Posted By: RGLass

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 08:00 PM

About Hondo . He didn’t ruin Luckenbach. It was closed when he bought it. His heirs have ruined it. One of his grandsons was put in charge years ago. It was a great place to listen to music, drink beer, and dance for a long time. The heirs have had many squabbles and fights over the management of the place. I played music there for years, hosted picker’s circles, and worked security for big functions and music shows. Hondo called himself an imagineer. He was an Olympic swimmer. There’s a book “Hondo, Father.” Written by one of his daughters.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by RGLass
About Hondo . He didn’t ruin Luckenbach. It was closed when he bought it. His heirs have ruined it. One of his grandsons was put in charge years ago. It was a great place to listen to music, drink beer, and dance for a long time. The heirs have had many squabbles and fights over the management of the place. I played music there for years, hosted picker’s circles, and worked security for big functions and music shows. Hondo called himself an imagineer. He was an Olympic swimmer. There’s a book “Hondo, Father.” Written by one of his daughters.

Agree that 'Hondo' didn't ruin it. I haven't been there since the late 70's and I'm sure some things about it have changed...but all through the 70's it was a neat place to go.

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/26/19 11:13 PM

"Friends of the family" are never gonna agree on what happened, and I was one. I'm not gonna go into who I knew, etc., but I knew Luckenbach when Mr. Engel ran it. Way, way before Hondo and Geech came on the scene. Hell, my mother went to Texas when Hondo was an Olympic swimmer. All I know is, their (Hondo and Geech's) idea ruined the area from what I knew. And all that was there after, 'cept for Jerry Jeff and Willie just passing through briefly, was a whole buncha wannabe musicians and bikers. As I said, my opinion is unpopular, but there's still a few square-heads left around there that'll agree with me wholeheartedly.
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/27/19 01:03 AM

This Luckenbach local square head agrees with Creekrunner.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/27/19 04:26 PM

a good boot scootin place
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/28/19 02:02 PM

Used to go in there for Iron Brew when I was just a kid.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/28/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by cos
Anyone been to one of the pay digs in hill country or have recommendations on a decent pay dig.

Been years since I went to one of the hill country pay digs, but I have been to them and hope to go to one or two again next year. I went to one near Carthage in June because it was near my hunting lease, inexpensive as far as pay digs go, and convenient. Found some points. More crude than your typical hill country points because of the material being mostly petrified wood. Look to Facebook Groups for Texas Chert and Texas Pay Digs. There are are some going on somewhere every weekend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Espy

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by sallysue
Originally Posted by cos

Yes Did you have any luck ?

Nephew is friends with them. Been dove hunting plan on looking for arrowheads one day.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by cos

Been years since I went to one of the hill country pay digs, but I have been to them and hope to go to one or two again next year. I went to one near Carthage in June because it was near my hunting lease, inexpensive as far as pay digs go, and convenient. Found some points. More crude than your typical hill country points because of the material being mostly petrified wood. Look to Facebook Groups for Texas Chert and Texas Pay Digs. There are are some going on somewhere every weekend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is this the one my brother Steven was doing?

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 01:34 AM

Did not know about the digs near Carthage. I have some points made out of petrified wood. They must of been hard up for something to work with. Mine are crude looking also.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by sqiggy

Is this the one my brother Steven was doing?

Yes it was.

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by cos
Did not know about the digs near Carthage. I have some points made out of petrified wood. They must of been hard up for something to work with. Mine are crude looking also.

Thanks for the info.

There have not been any more digs at the one near Carthage as far as I know. It was always either too hot or too wet.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 01:50 AM

Now that I'm retired, I would really like to go on one of those pay digs. On my land in East Texas, I am finding pottery pieces in a creek bed but not much luck on arrow heads. Almost all the stones are that red crumbly stuff.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by cos

Thanks for the info.

That's why I don't even bother hunting for points in East Texas. Typically they are very crude when made from petrified wood (palm wood being the occasional exception). But I grew up in Central Texas and I guess I am spoiled from the artifacts there.

Also...it is exceedingly hard work to find points most places in East Texas (except creek beds). There is SO much top soil generated that unless you have discovered an encampment...you'll dig forever...for a paltry return.
Posted By: kk66

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 10/29/19 04:32 PM

I had a friend who would go back to the reservation to stay with his grandparents every summer and his summer job was to throw newly made arrow heads out on the trails for tourists to find.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 11/24/19 01:51 AM

The Long ranch located on 1431 between kingsland and fuzzys corner. Its on the Llano River. The owner, Malcolm Long use to open it for diggers to look for arrowheads.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Arrowhead hunting-pay digs - 11/25/19 02:31 PM

Watch TheDitchWalker on YouTube. I've got permission to hunt a creek close by my house after deer season ends. The owner says it has never been checked for arrowheads. Due to the large number of snakes, he rarely gets close to it. My plan it to walk it before they emerge from hibernation.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum