Texas Hunting Forum

SST on hogs

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

SST on hogs - 10/06/19 10:24 PM

This could be a post about shot placement, rifles, ammo, hog hunting, so take your pick. Shot a few this weekend, one in the evening, the other the next morning. Range is 125 yards to feeder, these were both within a few step of the feeder, both dead on their feet, fell right over. One with a .308, 165 gr from a 24" 5r barrel. The other, a .300 BO, 125 gr., 16 ", 5r barrel. Both Hornady SST. The velocity is about 600 fps greater for the .308 Both did the job, both shot in the same spot, that sweet place up high in the neck. No exit wound on either. This bullet, this spot gets it done.

Attached picture IMG_4568.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4566.JPG
Posted By: jbseamus83

Re: SST on hogs - 10/06/19 10:31 PM

That's awesome! Good shooting. I'm actually sitting in the blind right now with my 7mm-08 looking for pigs. I have a load worked up with the Hornady SST as well. Hopefully I can test them out. Congrats!

Re: SST on hogs - 10/06/19 10:47 PM

SST is a great bullet, been using it for years and most everything I shoot with it is DRT. Shot placement gets 1/2 the credit, IMO. It's accurate, and opens up quick making a great wound channel. Stay after em'!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by jbseamus83
That's awesome! Good shooting. I'm actually sitting in the blind right now with my 7mm-08 looking for pigs. I have a load worked up with the Hornady SST as well. Hopefully I can test them out. Congrats!

Ballistic Silvertip is good on hogs as well (7mm-08).

Attached picture 7mm-08_e.jpg
Attached picture 7mm-08_b.jpg
Attached picture 7mm-08_a.jpg
Attached picture 7mm-08_c.jpg
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 12:39 AM

I stick to neck shots on pigs for a drt, that's s large target.

But the SST is an awesome bullet, it's destroys internals.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 10:37 AM

[Linked Image]
Works well for me.......last weekend 6.8 200 yards high shoulder

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
[Linked Image]

Good job. Those West Texas/Panhandle hogs just have a gnarly look. Like this wooly booger I shot a few years ago: [Linked Image]
Posted By: Crews

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 11:13 AM

I've found that the SST's are great hunting bullets. I've also found that they don't shoot very well out of larger bolt guns when I've tried them. Small sample size, YMMV. It's my go-to in my SBR's of various calibers.

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Crews
I've found that the SST's are great hunting bullets. I've also found that they don't shoot very well out of larger bolt guns when I've tried them. Small sample size, YMMV. It's my go-to in my SBR's of various calibers.

You talking about most long actions? I never used it in anything past .308.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
[Linked Image]

^^^^^

Yep. Another SST from 6.8........my nephew shot this one.

Attached picture 1am _boar_1.jpg
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: SST on hogs - 10/07/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Crews

You talking about most long actions? I never used it in anything past .308.

I use them in my 7mag. In the standard velocity 140 grains, the destruction is pretty severe. In the Hornady Custom Lite, it's just right for deer and hogs. The velocity is about the same as a 7mm-08.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum