Texas Hunting Forum

Dry

Posted By: don k

Dry - 10/06/19 11:50 AM

I went to the YO auction yesterday. I thought it was dry here but that part of the country has us beat. There is not a single blade if green grass. And very little grass. If there is no rain there within the next couple of weeks it is going to be a long and deadly Winter.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Dry - 10/06/19 12:08 PM

It was a long, dry summer here, & we sure have missed the usual Sept rains.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Dry - 10/06/19 12:17 PM

Menard/Junction area hasn't caught the last couple of showers that we got here in NW Bexar. The forecast shows a good chance for tomorrow. I'm trying to set up a feeder and get it started out there, and I have to drive down a (usually) dry creek bed to get to the area, so I figure I'm helping with the rain chances. I'll take the rain anyway I can get it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Dry - 10/06/19 02:16 PM

its going to take a lot of rain over wide spread area to help
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Dry - 10/06/19 03:20 PM

its been bad here also... Weather wise... Tis amazing how fragil we tis compaired ta Mother Nature...
Last year several timeshad ta stop on way ta work, (22 mile drive one way), & scrape the windshield so could see.
Takes money ta pay d bills, even for low-income workers... haven ta do more with less... This winter supose ta b worse.
Tough on d critters, they gotta live in d elements. Spent some time living on d streets no shelter...
As pappy once said: Humans Fracking with Mother Nature... We just gotta do best we can...
angel Prayers... confused2 twas in texas looking for work when the Hurricain (think twas Harvey) hit..
FB had familiy,& friends most of them yankee's, angel Praying for those in need.
It was bombarded with the Hurrican & angel Prayers...
Got a pop-up asking for donations... Eplained i was out of work, had No spair money but willing ta Help with clean-up..
Twas damn good at foundry wake up with alien body parts ta remind me.. never did get a responce..
& it reminded me of what a gold hat once said:
WE dont make money off clean up...

& later seen a person from texas scratch (tis thinking low-income) say:
WE dont need angel Prayers... We need money..

popcorn can understand, as a low-income worker, when back went kaput.
asked for help using workmans comps set up ta help low-income workers... Got laughed at made fun of & terminated by
lawyers on payroll... confused2 we could all use angel Prayers...

just my 2cents most still got me on thar ignorance list...

keep your head held high & your powder dry...
flag
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Dry - 10/06/19 11:49 PM

If we don’t get rain we are gonna be in dire straights.

Was in Fredericksburg today and it was exceptionally dry.

We’re I hunt close to the house we have gotten some good rains in the last month but it was a total fluke.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 12:54 AM

We havent had rain in a couple of months. It's bad. Heading in to winter we should have had at least some precip. Of course the cool front moved in but the rain petered out. Pouring in western Erath and Comanche right now. We can't seem to catch a break.
Posted By: Bowunderarm

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 12:55 AM

In Edwards County I have a rain guzzler with a 500 gallon storage tank for supplemental water; in the 5 years it has been on the ground it has NEVER gone dry. September 28th it had less than 100 gallons. Lack of rain and the deer hitting the water hard; it's getting scary on the Plateau.

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bowunderarm
In Edwards County I have a rain guzzler with a 500 gallon storage tank for supplemental water; in the 5 years it has been on the ground it has NEVER gone dry. September 28th it had less than 100 gallons. Lack of rain and the deer hitting the water hard; it's getting scary on the Plateau.

I'd really appreciate a pic of your guzzler set up. I need to put a couple on my place and I'm trying to figure out the most cost-effective way of doing it. Thanks. up And... welcome

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 01:32 AM

A sprinkle just started here in northern Kimble county. God is great. I hope it keeps up all night. up

Maybe, our Texas summer is finally over.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 01:35 AM

I have places in my pastures that have bare ground and in the past 7 yrs there was either waste deep grass or weeds covering those areas. Wildlife is in great shape with the masts crops we have had here. Brush is starting to stress and turn yellow though. If we get some rains it could be a bumper forb crop this winter.
Posted By: Bowunderarm

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Bowunderarm

I'd really appreciate a pic of your guzzler set up. I need to put a couple on my place and I'm trying to figure out the most cost-effective way of doing it. Thanks. up And... welcome

No problem; Thanks!

This is the one that was built in 2014; it is half a mile from a water source and on the other side of a dry creek.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The frame is 15’ x 15’ of 4”x2” purlin (half a 30’ stick). The center collection is 18’ of 6”x2” purlin. The roof is just standard 8’ roof panels. The conduit is 4” sched 40 PVC.
 I prefer galvanized pipe for the risers instead of steel pipe because you can drive a Tek screw into it. The tank is a standard 550 gallon.

This forms a 16’ by 16’ collection system. The formula for rain collection is Square Feet times 0.623 equals gallons per inch of water. Therefore I get 256 x 0.623=159.5 gallons per inch of rain fall.

This year my father and I built another one near our cabin. The metal is the biggest cost but will withstand the Texas sun!

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 11:36 AM

The sprinkle fizzled and it went around both sides here. crying 'Clear as a bell with beautiful stars now.

Psalm 63:1 was the verse on phone this morning. Coincedence?

"O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;"
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 11:50 AM

My buddy buried a horse the other day, dug a 6' hole with a backhoe and was bone dry all the way down. Pretty dry.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dry - 10/07/19 06:32 PM

Seems like the last few years have been like this for us. No rain when we need it for antlers and right about the time they go hard horn and season is kicking off we start getting rain lol. Farmlogs says we got another 1.4 inches over the weekend. Its something but its still probably dry as hell down there.

Re: Dry - 10/15/19 10:23 PM

[Linked Image]

It's been a slow, light rain, off and on, all day, between Menard and Junction. Very thankful to have it. It, however, was so humid for a while that I quit trying to do anything and headed inside for early martinis. My wife wants me to have fresh fruit, but she didn't put a lemon in her care package. #roughingitwithoutagarnish. laugh
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Dry - 10/15/19 11:47 PM

Martini's in the rain , that does not seem half bad. smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum