Texas Hunting Forum

N Texas Food Plot Planting

Posted By: ctonsmitty

N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/21/19 11:16 PM

When are you guys planting food plots for upcoming deer season. Will Sept 28 weekend be too early in N Texas along Red River or just about right? As far as timing, the reason for my asking is to avoid Army Worm attack.

We would plant Oats, Wheat, Peas and Clover

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 12:23 PM

Wish I knew the answer to that one
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 02:03 PM

I’m waiting till mid October.
Posted By: TigerCobra

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 02:19 PM

I wanna plant it today 50% chance of rain on Monday and I will
Be busy hunting every weekend in archery season so no time to plant then.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 06:36 PM

any time now is fine but you want to time the rain. We got a few inches over the last couple of days and more in the forecast so we put it in today.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 06:36 PM

any time now is fine but you want to time the rain. We got a few inches over the last couple of days and more in the forecast so we put it in today.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 06:44 PM

Best time to plant is mid September to first week of October if you want anything in the plot come November. Timing the rain is the tough part.

One of my properties was planted yesterday, other one will be as soon as we can get a little rain.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 07:47 PM

Timing the bugs is also a problem
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 08:08 PM

I plan to plant first weekend of October in my place in southern OK. I would plant today thru Monday if I could, but I highly recommend timing when you are going to get some good rain just after planting.. with the warmth of the soil I wouldn’t too much about planting and temps for a bit yet. Ground is plenty warm for a while yet.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/22/19 11:13 PM

I planted Thursday right before a rain in Cass County. Oats and peas.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 03:20 PM

Most people around here plant the weekend of or after Pioneer Weekend in Henrietta. Army worms got a lot of people last year. We planted last Monday which most consider a little early around here but haven't had any army worms the last 3 years....(knock on wood) I'd say if the weather forecast is favorable go for it.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 05:06 PM

A little off the subject but a question that may need to be asked. Do you continue to fertilize your food plot during the season?
I just read this, "you will need to keep fertilizing the plots, so they remain vigorous and attractive to deer. We recommend applying 150 pounds of 33-0-0 or 34-0-0 per acre every four to six weeks"
I have never fertilized after the initial time and was just wondering how the rest of you work your plots.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 05:45 PM

We only fertilize with triple 13 when we plant, about 150 lbs per acre. My plots look beautiful all winter.
Posted By: slick trick 2

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 06:39 PM

army worms are out right now- need some 60 degree day - i would hold off till mid Oct.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 07:23 PM

Put in my plots in on 9-4 at my place in Dickens county. 1/3 acre and (2) 1/2 acres. Planted small grain wheat. If the bugs and birds didn't clean me out I maybe in good shape as I got rain as follows:

1.4" on 9/14

1.6 on 9/21

1.3 on 9/22

Total of 4.3 inches

Will see results this weekend
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 08:11 PM

Put in my plots in on 9-4 at my place in Dickens county. 1/3 acre and (2) 1/2 acres. Planted small grain wheat. If the bugs and birds didn't clean me out I maybe in good shape as I got rain as follows:

1.4" on 9/14

1.6 on 9/21

1.3 on 9/22

Total of 4.3 inches

Will see results this weekend
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: N Texas Food Plot Planting - 09/23/19 09:46 PM

Must be nice not having to worry about army worms for all of yall already planting. Army worms ate our plots in about a day or two last year. We are going to wait a little longer this year. Plus we haven't had a drop of rain for a couple months.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum