Texas Hunting Forum

Montana bow elk

Posted By: tlk

Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 12:37 AM

fly out at 6 am in morning for an elk bow hunt - been some years since I hunted with a bow - cannot wait
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 12:37 AM

cheers
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 12:41 AM

Good luck! What area of Montana?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 01:05 AM

Good luck like George ask what part. I love hunting elk in Montana, lots of fond memories of elk hunts there
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 01:29 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 01:50 AM

Good luck. up
Posted By: erathar

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 02:07 AM

You are one lucky son of a gun. Enjoy your time up there.

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 10:15 AM

Checkerboard 2 hours north west from Billings.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 10:37 AM

Another good luck and please share pictures when you can up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 11:05 AM

Good luck...
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 11:15 AM

Go get em'! I'm a couple weeks behind you. Where I am hunting, the high temp when I get there is supposed to be 40 and snow. Guess I won't be wearing shorts and flip flops.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 01:20 PM

Man, you got the life, tlk!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 06:25 PM

If your elk standards are similar to your whitetail standards, I can't wait to see the results. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 06:35 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 06:45 PM

Good hunting!!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 07:11 PM

best wishes and stay safe

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/16/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Checkerboard 2 hours north west from Billings.

Cool, very nice area, Wen I was hunting quite a bit up there it was in the Little Belts and Big Belts north of White Sulfur Springs MT.
Posted By: DWB Montana

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/20/19 01:12 AM

Hope hunt is going well, perfect timing, front just came thru today, cool, wet for the next few I am hearing. Let us know how hunt went.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/20/19 02:37 AM

Rut has to be full swing right now. Hope you loose an arrow through a good one!

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/20/19 03:56 AM

Seeing elk but none are talking. Must have walked over 10 miles today (most all of which seemed uphill). I am after them. Just need the right set up to come together. Weather has been perfect.

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/20/19 04:44 AM

Rut is late, for sure, talked to friends who have been hunting up here for 5 years, quietest they have ever seen, another group hunting up on the Crazies said the same.....perhaps this weekend.

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 03:45 PM

TLK, still hunting or make it home? My neighbor took this bull this weekend... [Linked Image]
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by DWB Montana
TLK, still hunting or make it home? My neighbor took this bull this weekend... [Linked Image]

WOAH!!!!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Seeing elk but none are talking. Must have walked over 10 miles today (most all of which seemed uphill). I am after them. Just need the right set up to come together. Weather has been perfect.

Stay hard at it, only takes one!!!

I got my but kicked mule deer hunting twice this year so didn’t get to chase elk for the first time in 12 years, it’s killing me especially considering the unit I was mule deer hunting in.

Good luck, pulling for you

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 05:11 PM

Got home yesterday - had a great trip but no bull. They finally started bugling a little on Saturday morning - I had an awesome stalk on a herd of about 50 elk. Perfect set up - into the wind with a small creek bottom that let me stalk them. Had to go about a mile and a half to get to them.

Could have shot 2-3 bulls but were smaller 5x5s so I passed - then at the back of the herd saw a very nice 6 x 6 - got to 80 yards on him and then the cows busted me. Had it been rifle season?? Dead bull

Anyway it was worth the trip to get to do that stalk - maybe next year
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Got home yesterday - had a great trip but no bull. They finally started bugling a little on Saturday morning - I had an awesome stalk on a herd of about 50 elk. Perfect set up - into the wind with a small creek bottom that let me stalk them. Had to go about a mile and a half to get to them.

Could have shot 2-3 bulls but were smaller 5x5s so I passed - then at the back of the herd saw a very nice 6 x 6 - got to 80 yards on him and then the cows busted me. Had it been rifle season?? Dead bull

Anyway it was worth the trip to get to do that stalk - maybe next year

Congrats on great hunt!

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 05:28 PM

Glad you enjoyed your time here in Montana, looks like you left before the blast of winter hit...weather people are calling for high's in the 30's up in the mountains and snow, even down on the lower elevations may share in that snow at night.

Re: Montana bow elk - 09/24/19 05:45 PM

It is called hunting for a reason cheers But is sure is fun Congrats on a great hunt

I have ate a few tags over the years elk hunting but still had great fun trips. The vacation aspect is worth the trip for sure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum