Texas Hunting Forum

This is why I "carry" on the lease...

Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 12:37 PM

I went out to the lease Friday morning to do some work around camp and hunt hogs in the evening. First thing, before going through the gate, I strap on my .45 Colt Blackhawk. First two rounds up are shotshells, the rest cast SWCs. It's an old habit, because ya never know what you'll run into. Sure enough, had an intruder in camp…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 12:56 PM

eeks333 wow I’m glad you were OK. I guess I’m still fortunate. At 64 I can still out walk a rattler.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 12:56 PM

Just keeping rats and mice out of camp....

I would have moved him....
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

I figured that you and Dan might disapprove! And that's OK; when I was younger I had rattlesnakes (and others) for pets. Never hesitated to pick them up. Still like and admire them. Just too old to be "moving" them! wink
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 01:52 PM

A good rattler is a dead rattler.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 01:52 PM

I would have shot it....several times.....but that's just me.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 04:27 PM

You might want to look around and make sure there isn't a den around.
Keeping the area clean so that rats and mice don't hang out is also a good idea.
Usually removing any food source or trash/brush piles go a long way to keeping them away.
Treat the area around your camp with snake repellent helps as well.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 05:02 PM

"Snake shaming" because he killed a rattlesnake, Yes, you saw it here. roflmao
Posted By: 603Country

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 06:26 PM

I’d have moved him. Body thrown over there and head kicked over yonder.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 06:54 PM

They don't get a pass around me...what they get is a new home as a hatband, knife sheath etc....
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 07:18 PM

I'll leave them be in the field. But they don't get a pass around camp.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 07:44 PM

Hey!

That’s right where we put our lounging chairs during the heat of the day scared

No activity at camp since early August - hadn’t seen one there in 2 years either

Good eye
Posted By: Superduty

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis in Ft Worth
I went out to the lease Friday morning to do some work around camp and hunt hogs in the evening. First thing, before going through the gate, I strap on my .45 Colt Blackhawk. First two rounds up are shotshells, the rest cast SWCs. It's an old habit, because ya never know what you'll run into. Sure enough, had an intruder in camp…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Technically you are the intruder.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/15/19 11:21 PM

I figured that you and Dan might disapprove! And that's OK; when I was younger I had rattlesnakes (and others) for pets. Never hesitated to pick them up. Still like and admire them. Just too old to be "moving" them! wink

Better safe than sorry.... up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/16/19 01:48 AM

You know better than the rest of us, there are plenty of nonvenomous snakes that provide the same services. A hit from thay guy, and your next 2 to 3 weeks have been decided for you. The next 30 minutes had best be driving to the hospital or setting up a lading zone for a helicopter to take you to the hospital.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/16/19 01:57 AM

I would have done the same thing, good job.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/16/19 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Technically you are the intruder.

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Posted By: Judd

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/16/19 03:04 PM

Technicality I know...but I think he moved him....from the living to the dead grin
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/16/19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Walkabout
eeks333 wow I’m glad you were OK. I guess I’m still fortunate. At 64 I can still out walk a rattler.

roflmao
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/16/19 10:44 PM

hate them things.
Posted By: Garwoodie

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 09:20 AM

Good riddance!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
You know better than the rest of us, there are plenty of nonvenomous snakes that provide the same services. A hit from thay guy, and your next 2 to 3 weeks have been decided for you. The next 30 minutes had best be driving to the hospital or setting up a lading zone for a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Nuff said.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 12:55 PM

Yep, going to be incredibly sick really fast. That close to camp a venomous snake has to die for safety purposes.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 12:57 PM

Hoping a helo can fly because of storms in the area, or they're not on another call and that the hospital actually does have anti-venom.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
I would have done the same thing, good job.

x2
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 05:05 PM

I love my judge and have it for one simple reason - it's easier and safer than a shovel. I could never live with myself if I were to pass on dispatching a rattler and then have that rattler hit a kid, guest or other hunter. Just can't do it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/17/19 05:24 PM

Poor lil snake
Posted By: Bbear

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/22/19 09:02 PM

Around the house, all poisonous snakes die.

Out in the field, if he rattles 20' or more away, he/she gets a pass. Any closer, they die.

I want those genes that make them rattle 'over there' passed along to their next generation. Until there are too many of them.
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: This is why I "carry" on the lease... - 09/22/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I love my judge and have it for one simple reason - it's easier and safer than a shovel. I could never live with myself if I were to pass on dispatching a rattler and then have that rattler hit a kid, guest or other hunter. Just can't do it.

I totally agree. I can't take that chance either. Too many close calls the way it is. With one dry strike through my boot already and grandkids at the ranch I can't give them a pass. If it can kill me, and that means anything that crawls or walks, it gets killed. Period.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum