Texas Hunting Forum

Old stuff...

Posted By: Creekrunner

Old stuff... - 09/11/19 09:43 PM

I went through a period, several years ago, of looking around book stores for old hunting books and magazines. Then eBay hit and I almost needed an intervention. It didn't help that my dad was a packrat and lover of anything older 'n dirt.

I've always admired the artwork especially on the old magazines. Here are just a few, there's lots more. I framed a couple, like the last one. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got any old stuff?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Old stuff... - 09/11/19 10:06 PM

not much any more, it is an addiction

Re: Old stuff... - 09/11/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
not much any more, it is an addiction

You got that right.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Old stuff... - 09/11/19 10:22 PM

When I use to go to every gun show in DFW I would always look for old ammo boxes, magazines, books, and gun cleaning kits. Most of that stuff was dirt cheap too. I could walk away with a stack of magazines for a buck or two. Some were even stacked up with signs that said "free". Now days everything is over priced at the shows so I no longer go and have moved on to collecting other things.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 02:59 AM

I would love to collect some old books and magazines.

I have some older ( but not really old, nothing of notable mention ) books.

I do have a old Winchester belt buckle with a model 94’ on it. Don’t know the age but would be interested in finding out
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 11:45 AM

Very cool. up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 03:33 PM

when my FIL passed, we tossed hundreds, if not thousands, of old Field & Stream and other older hunting/fishing magazine publications that he had collected over the years, mostly those he picked up from a waiting room at one of the many VA Hospitals and doctor's offices ... some really cool illustrations but we had to draw a line somewhere (in another thread, I posted we hauled off 80,000 lbs of scrap metal from his places, so yeah, packrat supreme).
Posted By: Stub

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 09:46 PM

Creek thats some great looking items you got there, how old is some of it, like the Animal Life or shooting facts?

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Creek thats some great looking items you got there, how old is some of it, like the Animal Life or shooting facts?

Thank you sir. The Animal Life I think is early 50's, but I could be wrong. The Shooting Facts is a Charles Askins little book from 1935. The medal right below that is my dad's dad's (that I never knew) NRA sharpshooting medal from the early '20's and the clock to the left of the Hunting and Fishing magazine is an old wind-up that was mounted in the dash of automobiles pre-1920. Dam thing keeps perfect time! (I also recently gave a pocket watch that was one of my great-grandmother's to my youngest daughter, that was from about 1890, wind-up of course. It also kept great time.) TMI, I know. 'Just have a faint hope that some of these kids will appreciate the past somewhat.
grin

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Thank you sir. The Animal Life I think is early 50's, but I could be wrong. The Shooting Facts is a Charles Askins little book from 1935. The medal right below that is my dad's dad's (that I never knew) NRA sharpshooting medal from the early '20's and the clock to the left of the Hunting and Fishing magazine is an old wind-up that was mounted in the dash of automobiles pre-1920. Dam thing keeps perfect time! (I also recently gave a pocket watch that was one of my great-grandmother's to my youngest daughter, that was from about 1890, wind-up of course. It also kept great time.) TMI, I know. 'Just have a faint hope that some of these kids will appreciate the past somewhat.
grin

Buddy that is not TMI that is way cool and I appreciate you sharing it with us up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

grin

Buddy that is not TMI that is way cool and I appreciate you sharing it with us up

x2 up
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Old stuff... - 09/12/19 11:13 PM

Even today, you can still find remakes of tin signs and new ammo boxes that carry artwork originally created by Phillip R. Goodwin. And every now and then you'll find an original painting of his coming up for auction for those who have very deep check books. IMO, all the paintings that he created for Winchester and others carry a message that almost transfixes the hunter who appreciates good artwork.

Link

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 01:43 AM

Dug out the only two truly “ old “ things I own they are hunting related.

My great aunt gave me this when I was 4 years old. It was my great uncle Bills, who work for a distillery, looked exactly like Dwight Eisenhower and died in the early 70’s. Model 6 Remington chambered for shorts, longs and long rifle.

Shot mainly .22 shorts out of it and I’ve killed my share of bunnies and quail with it.

[Linked Image]

This is a belt buckle my grandpa gave me...probably got it in a garage sale as he wasn’t a hunter. I’m curious about the age, but it’s a real cool piece of memorabilia [Linked Image]
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 02:01 AM

My family owned a drug store way back in West Texas. I have a bunch of old product from their store but this one always was my favorite. And yes, those are original smokes from the package. I dated this package at one point and feel like it was pre 1940 but I can’t find that info anymore. Had surgery today so I can’t look at anything else but once I can I’ll post some more pics.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 01:27 PM

that's some cool stuff
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 05:22 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 05:24 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 05:26 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 05:28 PM

^^^

Some cool stuff

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 07:38 PM

Most is this stuff is from my grandparents or great-grandparents....This pie safe everything is in was my great grandmothers as well as a few of the items...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 07:48 PM

Love looking at history! thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Old stuff... - 09/13/19 10:21 PM

A buddy of mine teaches at a college. A few years ago the school was going through their library and tossing a lot of old books. He saw a stack of green hardback books next to the dumpster that looked like old encyclopedias, so he walked over for a look. It was a hard-bound set of every Outdoor Life from January 1969 through December 1981. He knew I'd want them so he snatched them up for me. Two volumes per year complete with all the full color adds for trucks and boats and everything. Pretty fun to pull a volume down and thumb through it on a rainy day.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 01:08 AM

[Linked Image]
I found some of my grandfathers hunting licenses in a box of things that no one wanted. I am as proud to have them as some of the heirloom guns I have. It is the heritage that I come from.

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 01:12 AM

Those are awesome....

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 03:34 AM

The sticker on a cane my grandfather brought back as a souvenir after attending the Texas Centennial in Dallas in 1936.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kry226

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 03:34 AM

Awesome stuff and thread! up

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 03:45 AM

A wealth of traditional hunting wisdom, copyright 1960 and signed by the author

"My wife accuses me of spending all my time hunting. This is not true. I spend some of my time fishing - which goes to show how unfair a woman can be."

Tom Hayes

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 04:11 AM

An old roll crimper for 12 gauge shotgun shells, I also have the hand primer and powder and shot measure cups. Still usuable, and still used to occasionally make some special shotgun loads. Fun making light load black powder loads, smokes like an oil fire, and it smells good.
[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kry226
Awesome stuff and thread! up

Keep it coming.

This is the only old thing I have and it is for sale grin

[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 06:49 PM

Some of my grandfather's decoys.

[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 08:22 PM

Those are nice....30 years ago I started collecting old decoys....had a few hand carved wood ones and some early paper mallards....lost in a divorce....
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 09:00 PM

My Grandads hunting license from 1969. Have the deer tags to go with it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 10:02 PM

Ken, That is an awesome display. I want to do something like that with my grandfathers licenses up
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 10:26 PM

Gulf Oil Corp Texas fish guide maps of the entire Texas coast. Lithographs from the 1930's and every one has a stamp from a state of Texas engineer. I assume they are the originals. I framed them all. Not sure why the THF photo thing won't let me rotate it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
30 years ago I started collecting old decoys....had a few hand carved wood ones and some early paper mallards....lost in a divorce....

That sucks. Somehow I wound up with the china. confused2 'Sold it in a garage sale. Weird divorce. Weird woman. Before the split, I hunted Pronghorn on her grandparents' place just a couple miles north of Abbott, NM (east of Springer). Her dad, my brother, and me were staying in the house that the grandad had built with his own hands, adobe bricks he made when he homesteaded the place when he and his wife were 16 years old. I walked out behind the house and found the farm implement "dump". Farm implements (horse or mule drawn) used to have a tool box, down below your crotch as you sat on the thing. I noticed the lid had "John Deere" on it and the leaping deer. The deer had four legs (really old). I asked my, at the time, father-in-law if I could pull the cotter pins and take the lid. He said I could, so I did. 'Sat on our mantle until she decided she was tired of me. She had never made a single comment about it up to that point. Moving out, I asked if I could take it. The reply was "Well, it was MY grandfather's". Fine. Then, when she moved out of that house, while I was picking up the girls I asked what she did with it. She had no memory of it. bang Is that passive-aggressive or what?! 'Still pisses me off. realmad
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Old stuff... - 09/14/19 11:23 PM

Thank you. it took me forever to getting around to do it. It has my grandads license, mine and my dads duck stamps from 70’s up to now.
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Ken, That is an awesome display. I want to do something like that with my grandfathers licenses up
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Old stuff... - 09/15/19 12:06 AM

I picked this up off Ebay for a couple bucks long ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old stuff... - 09/15/19 12:42 AM

I like that in 1957 you could shoot roadrunners, hawks and woodpeckers. I would also have partaken in Bat shooting.

For the record, I have nothing against woodpeckers, I think they are cool

Re: Old stuff... - 09/15/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I have nothing against woodpeckers,

I do.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Old stuff... - 09/15/19 06:25 AM

Bears! Pretty cool.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Old stuff... - 09/15/19 06:35 AM

Out of my grandfathers old grocery store in Munday Texas 1928

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Old stuff... - 09/16/19 04:31 AM

One of my most treasured possessions is a leather bound journal my grandpa gave me. It is the journal of my great-great-great-grandpa. The earliest date (that I'm sure I read right) is Oct. 1820. The journal contains all kind of information from how to make a wind powered grain mill (our last name is Miller), water mills, how to make different colors of dye, how long to let different types of lumber dry and even how to make gunpowder and it even has some history and physics in it. Inside were also land deeds and receipts. At the time it was written, my family lived in Wood County, Virginia.

I'm fortunate enough that this has survived the years and journey down to Texas. When my family came to Texas it was about 1880 when they settle around Gober.

I'll try to post some pictures if I can find some.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Old stuff... - 09/16/19 08:09 AM

I have a room dedicated to old hunting stuff and relics. One of my favorites is a Mint condition Brayden Wire company Deer Feeder it was the first patent deer feeder ever. another one is a Thermos brand Swivel Seat Shell bucket

Attached picture old4.jpg
Attached picture old1.jpg
Attached picture old2.jpg

Re: Old stuff... - 09/16/19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 10pointers
I have a room dedicated to old hunting stuff and relics. One of my favorites is a Mint condition Brayden Wire company Deer Feeder it was the first patent deer feeder ever. another one is a Thermos brand Swivel Seat Shell bucket

That "Feed-all" hasn't been used...but I used a couple. grin up Cool room.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Old stuff... - 09/16/19 02:17 PM

Very cool 10pointers!
I love old hunting stuff and love these photos. up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Old stuff... - 09/16/19 03:09 PM

My first "hunting" rifle was this Daisy Cub BB gun that I got back in 1962. Still have and it still shoots today.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum