Texas Hunting Forum

food plot

Posted By: old raider

food plot - 09/04/19 12:31 AM

This is my first attempt at planting a food plot and I need some help. I hunt in Young county. I'll plant about 4 acres in sandy loam. What's the best premixed seed to plant? The field is plowed and I'll be able to turn the soil once planted. Thanks
Posted By: phathawg

Re: food plot - 09/04/19 12:45 AM

I've had good luck with Forage Feast from Tractor Supply. Lots of mixed seeds. You can keep track of what grows best and maybe customize your plot next year.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: food plot - 09/04/19 01:09 AM

Turner seed company will take care of you.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: food plot - 09/04/19 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: food plot - 09/04/19 01:47 AM

we have sandy loam in Lamar county. Not much on premix cause i like to know what i am getting. We mixed a combination of oats, Austrian winter peas and radishes. Everything but the radishes did well and we did no-till. Deer loved the oats and peas. We planted mid September before the rain and within 2 week the deer were hitting it and it lasted all winter. I can tell you that I have bought my last bag of corn.

Good luck!

Z
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: food plot - 09/04/19 01:11 PM

Don't bother planting (broadcasting) anything but 100lbs of oats and 50lbs of Austrian winter peas, and 100-150 of 13-13-13 fertilizer per acre. Plant it and they will come. I guarantee!
Posted By: Western

Re: food plot - 09/04/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB

or MBS Seed in Denton, both good with local/regional plant knowledge
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum