Texas Hunting Forum

I Have Never Seen That Before

Posted By: gary roberson

I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/02/19 06:37 PM

Last week, I was calling coyotes near Alpine, TX. I was blowing one of my favorite long range calls, the Black Magic, imitating the bleats of a fawn. I have used this same call to lure mule deer anytime of the year but does respond AGRESSIVELY when fawns are present. Following the first series, I hear rocks rolling and I know that I have a muley doe coming hard. I turn to the right and the doe is about twenty steps before she circles in front of me. She moves 90 degrees to my left and is standing, staring at me from 30 steps. I see her look over her right shoulder as a coyote runs behind her less than 10 steps.
The doe whirls and gets after the coyote taking him several hundred yards (Steve was able to capture a couple of seconds of this on video). I decide to call another series and see if I can get the coyote to return as I know it has not seen or smelled me. After another series, the doe returns and stands about 25 steps to my left as if guarding me.
I look down the hill and to my left at about 75 yards and see the coyote trying to get back to me. The doe sees him as well and holds her ground, stamping her feet. After about 30 seconds, the coyote realizes that the doe means business and trots off obviously beaten. The doe stayed there on guard until I stood up to leave and then she calmly walked off as if she knew she had done a great job. While I have called deer and coyotes on the same stand, I have never had one stand guard over me.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Stub

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/02/19 06:40 PM

Had to be way cool to experience that up
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/02/19 06:42 PM

That is really cool, would have been fun to experience!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/02/19 06:48 PM

Cool experience. It would have been fun to watch a coyote get stomped.
I watched a few whitetail doe go after a domesticated cat once. That stupid cat wasn't sure what was going but managed to walk away as the does were hot on his trial.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/02/19 07:22 PM

That is cool! We've called in some WT does with the fawn in distress calls at night. We've also almost caused a stampede from cattle coming on it also.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/02/19 10:07 PM

Very cool experience! up

Calling in coyotes is one of my favorite hunting activities. I've never called in a doe with a coyote.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 12:36 AM

Great story!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 12:36 AM

I have not seen it to that extreme but was calling coyotes one evening in La Salle County and had 3 does came in from the south They were in on top of me within seconds. A coyote was coming to me from the NE with an adult doe hot on his tail and closing fast to within 18 yards of me. She veered off when she saw me and never could get a shot at the yote since I was not expecting one from that direction. Seen mule deer chase off a coyote 2 times, once in Kansas and once in Trans Pecos. Both were large groups of does and small bucks. The lead doe in Trans Pecos was leading the chase up hill and almost caught the coyote on several occasions. Broken terrain and cover saved him. They disappeared over the rise and not sure what happened after that.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 12:35 PM

dang man thats awsome!

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 01:39 PM

Steve did get video of the coyote rolling in and the doe whirling and giving chase. He also got a couple of seconds of the coyote leaving after he returned the second time.
Here is the rest of the story....I told Steve and Brian that the coyote did not see or smell us so we should go back to the pickup and drive down the road and try to call him away from the guard doe.
So we drove about a half mile away and set up in the best spot I could find though a little brushier than what I like. Sure enough, after the second series, I hear rocks rolling at about 2:00 o'clock, see a coyote swapping ends and blowing out at about 12 steps. I try for a shot as he is leaving and finally pick him up about 200 yards but miss as I hustled a shot off just as he is disappearing.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Deer-getter

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 08:30 PM

cool story.. can you send the video?

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 08:46 PM

You will be able to see it on CARNIVORE in a few weeks. I didn't download the video and the camera is not here.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: dkershen

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/03/19 08:59 PM

Cool story Gary. I've had does try to get in the high rack with me using those fawn calls in July and August. Maternal instinct on steroids. up
Posted By: TCM3

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/04/19 11:29 PM

what channel does carnivore come on? I've never seen it on outdoor or sportsman.
Posted By: kry226

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/05/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
That is really cool, would have been fun to experience!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/05/19 12:57 AM

I’ve called in a few deer with the dying rabbit call at night. In fact the first whitetail deer I ever saw between Rotan and Hamlin came right up to the truck when we were varmint hunting one night around ‘96. Deer all over that ranch now.

I hunted with a rancher who was a coyote hunting addict back around ‘89 in Fort Stockton. He’d turn the tape recorder all the way up and drive through a pasture with me and his son in the back of the truck. He was right, it will make mule deer stand up and look around long enough to get shot.

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/05/19 03:47 PM

Pursuit Channel. If you have Outdoor or Sportsman, you have Pursuit. 393 on Dish or 604 on Direct.
Thanks and Adios,
gary

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/14/19 01:55 PM

The show is airing this weekend. 12:30 PM (noon) and Sunday at 7:00 PM. My producer did not edit where the coyote came back the second time as we had just a second or two of the coyote leaving. I hope that you enjoy the show as much as we enjoyed the hunt in a most beautiful part of Texas.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: decook

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/14/19 02:30 PM

This outta be entertaining :-)
Gary since watching your show I got to say i like it so much I don't even mind the commercials -
-d
Posted By: TCM3

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/15/19 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
Pursuit Channel. If you have Outdoor or Sportsman, you have Pursuit. 393 on Dish or 604 on Direct.
Thanks and Adios,
gary

bang bang
Have outdoor and sportsmen, no Pursuit.
Consolidated Communication (cable)
Although it looks like I can watch it on Pursuits webpage.

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/15/19 01:50 PM

decook,
Thanks so much, that means a lot to me and our crew who work really hard to produce a cinematic, classy, and sometimes educational predator hunting show on TV.
Thanks again and Adios,
Gary
Posted By: mow

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/15/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
The show is airing this weekend. 12:30 PM (noon) and Sunday at 7:00 PM. My producer did not edit where the coyote came back the second time as we had just a second or two of the coyote leaving. I hope that you enjoy the show as much as we enjoyed the hunt in a most beautiful part of Texas.
Adios,
Gary

what is the episodes name..looking on their website..interested
Posted By: LG

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/16/19 03:24 PM

up

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/16/19 03:55 PM

CARNIVORE. In our 9th season.
Thanks!
Gary
Posted By: jdickey

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/23/19 02:57 PM

Just another reason to enjoy the great outdoors that our God has given to us. You just never run out of the enjoyment......!!!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I Have Never Seen That Before - 09/23/19 03:08 PM

Very cool experience!!

Never had that happen, but I watched 4 bucks circle a coyote and all charge him from different angles. The coyote fit through a wire fence with hair flying as he made his escape.

Have a buddy that was in Colorado years ago hunting over an alfalfa field and he has a video of a bobcat chasing a mule deer fawn across the field. From out of nowhere the mama runs smooth over the bobcat and rolls him. Was an awesome video and wish I had a copy of it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum