Texas Hunting Forum

Best Fishing Times?

Posted By: JB1316

Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 01:05 PM

I'm heading to Rockport for the weekend and will be sneaking in some wade fishing - Im as far from a good fisherman as you can get, but have fun startling the fish or catching the dumb trout if they'll let me. Just for fun, recently I've been using the fishingreminder website just to see if I happen to be going during a good or bad time for fish, not that it's going to stop me either way, but just for the novelty of it. I looked this morning and see it's allegedly an excellent weekend to be there, but the peak fishing times are at 2am. I always try and sneak out around 7 or so in the mornings when Im down there, and try and take my son out in the late afternoon - but that's mostly out of habit, and treating fishing like hunting (best at dawn and dusk - relatively) .

Anyways, Im not fishing at 2am, but just wondering if anyone else uses this website and found it to be anything more than BS, or if it's actually got a little science behind it?
https://www.fishingreminder.com/US/charts/fishing_times/Rockport
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 01:19 PM

Sorry but tide is more important than time. I like an incoming tide. Fresh water from the bay and ocean carries bait and oxygen into the estuary making game fish more active. Good luck.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 01:29 PM

I've always been an early morning fisherman down that way when the "chop" is less and water calmer. Especially when working live bait and popping corks.

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Sorry but tide is more important than time. I like an incoming tide. Fresh water from the bay and ocean carries bait and oxygen into the estuary making game fish more active. Good luck.

So when you say incoming tide, you mean high tide? Showing my knowledge base here, lol
Posted By: Foghornleghorn

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 04:51 PM

Tide [/b]MOVEMENT[b] is more important than peak high or low activity will slow when tide stops moving
Posted By: rickym

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 04:59 PM

The couple hours before the “peak” high tide time that you see posted will be the most active feeding time. Followed by the hour or two prior to peak low tide. Also the first hour of light can produce a few fish even without tide movement.
If you have days where there’s double tides, 2 high, 2 low, it can provide some decent fishing all day but the major tides(moving the most water) will be what you want to key in on.

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 05:05 PM

Awesome, thanks guys!
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 07:08 PM

Might have something to do with lunar cycles too. I don't fish saltwater, but bank fishing for catfish usually gets good from dusk until a couple hours after dark. Seems to pick back up at 3 or 4 am. But the in between times I've still caugt some nice fish, including my personal best I think was around midnight.

Good luck, I hope to see some good pictures
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 08:15 PM

I've always had my best luck in the surf right as its getting light in the morning.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JB1316
Originally Posted by HornSlayer

So when you say incoming tide, you mean high tide? Showing my knowledge base here, lol

Look at the tied charts in that area. Anything between low and high will be incoming.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex70

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/29/19 11:44 PM

Avoid a slack tide if possible, and as Bill mentioned, get a tide chart for that specific area
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/30/19 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tex70
Avoid a slack tide if possible, and as Bill mentioned, get a tide chart for that specific area

If you fish the big ship channels, 30 to 45 min before a slack tide can produce, but as soon as it stops normally the bite comes to a screeching halt.

Re: Best Fishing Times? - 08/30/19 08:03 PM

I'll report back fellas. Thanks for the tips!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum