Texas Hunting Forum

Free Super Combo at Academy

Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 10:31 AM

Last year at Academy they offered a free Super Combo License with the purchase of a Mossberg 88 or one of their crossbows. Noticed on the Academy website they are doing it again, but just says free Super Combo when you purchase “select products”. Says it starts Wednesday (when licenses go on sale).

Anybody happen to know what items it will be this year (or maybe the same as last year)? Thanks!
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 01:47 PM

Looks like the Mossberg Patriot Rifle $399, or Mossberg Maverick 88 12 GA $189 or crossbow $299 Oh, and it starts the 15th of August!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 02:32 PM

Evidently the promo has worked well for them in the past. I took the bait last year and picked up a Savage XP II .243 that I use as a "utility" rifle and as a backup gun. While the wood stock is a little hard on the eyes, it shoots and handles great for the price. Took the pig below with it earlier this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erny

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 03:27 PM

Here is the ad that I saw on Facebook.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 04:08 PM

Thanks! That’s the info I was looking for!
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 04:22 PM

is the shotgun worth a hoot?
Posted By: janie

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stratgolfer

I think so. It's a no frills serviceable shotgun. I had one and gave it to my daughter in law. She still has it.
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 05:12 PM

shotgun is good similar to the Remington cheap 870 little longer pull which is good just work the action 2 or 300 times to smooth it up. I keep one at the lease for dove and quail they get rough treatment and if it gets taken you haven't lost much
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by fredgus
shotgun is good similar to the Remington cheap 870 little longer pull which is good just work the action 2 or 300 times to smooth it up. I keep one at the lease for dove and quail they get rough treatment and if it gets taken you haven't lost much

Kinda my thoughts as well. Basically betting a shotgun for 110$, kinda hard to beat.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/12/19 11:32 PM

Wife and I both got the 20ga shotguns last year. Hunted dove with them. Not pretty for sure, but both worked flawlessly.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by krmitchell
Originally Posted by fredgus

Kinda my thoughts as well. Basically betting a shotgun for 110$, kinda hard to beat.

Not a bad trick
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 01:04 AM

Maverick 88 is a good gun.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stratgolfer

Got the 12 Gauge last year. Works just fine. For $129 dollars it’s fantastic.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 11:38 AM

I have 2 in 20 and 12 and I think they are now using the model 500 barrels that are ribbed. They shoot great just the action is stiff but for the money still a better gun than the 870 Express, those just get worse it seems.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:08 PM

How much is a super combo? What would I be saving by doing this deal?
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.

Nothing unless you're in the market for one of those items.
Posted By: flatnasty

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:26 PM

shoot this is going to work on me also! probably end up with the shot gun
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by laid over
Maverick 88 is a good gun.

Yep. Barrels and chokes can be switched out with any Mossberg 500...because it is basically a Mossberg 500.
Posted By: janie

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:41 PM

Super combo is $68.00. For folks over 65 the cost drops to $32.00
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:42 PM

I buy a super combo for myself and wife every year at $68 anyways. But thinking on that crossbow for my wife, can you rest one of those on a window (deer blind) and shoot or do you need to be holding it up to shoot? Anyone know?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 12:48 PM

Well, I'm over 65 so is it fair that I would only get a $32 discount while all you young whipper snappers would get a $68 discount. That's age discrimination if you ask me. lol
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

I buy a super combo for myself and wife every year at $68 anyways. But thinking on that crossbow for my wife, can you rest one of those on a window (deer blind) and shoot or do you need to be holding it up to shoot? Anyone know?

I wouldn't rest one on a blind windowsill as the whole blind is going to reverberate when it goes off. You would probably be okay if you had a padded rest of some sort under it or had your hand under it. It's going to make quite a bit of noise otherwise.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/13/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

I wouldn't rest one on a blind windowsill as the whole blind is going to reverberate when it goes off. You would probably be okay if you had a padded rest of some sort under it or had your hand under it. It's going to make quite a bit of noise otherwise.

I have done it. Padding on the window sill helps. More importantly, be sure the limbs have sufficient clearance so they dont strike anything when they flex back during the shot.
Posted By: adkhunter

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/15/19 06:20 PM

Just walked out with a 20 ga mossberg. Not bad for basically $137 out the door. Can't say I'll worry too much about bumps and scrapes though, probably get a rattle can paint job to make it look a little better!
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/15/19 06:24 PM

Is the 18" barrel of the Mossberg shotgun one of the options?
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/15/19 06:27 PM

28 inch Gumbeaux it says what I saw
Posted By: mikereiling5

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/15/19 07:25 PM

is the sale only for today?
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/15/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by adkhunter
Just walked out with a 20 ga mossberg. Not bad for basically $137 out the door. Can't say I'll worry too much about bumps and scrapes though, probably get a rattle can paint job to make it look a little better!

Danggit, do I have to go get a new shotgun now? I guess I do...
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/17/19 04:50 AM

Picked up a 20 and a 12 for the nephew and myself. 28 inch is the only one on special, I asked. First shotgun for him, knock around truck gun for me. Not a bad deal at all.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/18/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikereiling5
is the sale only for today?

goes through 8/24
Posted By: rfamilyhunting

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/19/19 05:33 PM

To sweeten the deal even more, the shotguns are now on sale and you can save an additional $10. If you already purchased one, no issue, Academy also has a 14 day price adjustment guarantee.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasSlam18

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/19/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
Picked up a 20 and a 12 for the nephew and myself. 28 inch is the only one on special, I asked. First shotgun for him, knock around truck gun for me. Not a bad deal at all.

Online it shows the "youth" model with a 22" barrel as well. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/maverick%C2%AE-youth-20-gauge-pump-action-shotgun#repChildCatid=679904

I bought one and i know 5 others who did as well.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/19/19 07:21 PM

I considered jumping on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon, but with my wife due to have double knee replacement this year, decided I should pass. Not just the rifle, but scope rings, a new scope, dies, powder, brass, bullets . . .
Posted By: supersixfour

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/22/19 03:02 AM

I couldn't pass on this either. Picked up the 26" 20 gauge today, fits me perfect. Will make a nice beater dove gun.
Posted By: jbseamus83

Re: Free Super Combo at Academy - 08/23/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by supersixfour
I couldn't pass on this either. Picked up the 26" 20 gauge today, fits me perfect. Will make a nice beater dove gun.

Same here. For a reliable back up gun, you can't beat it. Got a 12 ga this morning.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum