Texas Hunting Forum

Craigslist scam

Posted By: Shoot&miss

Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 12:55 AM

Went and looked at some land a guy had on Craigslist. He wasn’t able to meet me
Out there. Sent a contract with Veterans Hunting Assc. Super nice guy, says go to the bank and he has a routing number and it goes to a credit union. Gave us a couple of weeks to get the money to him, now he’s wanting it soon cause he says many people are calling and wanting it. What does this sound like to you??? Thanks.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:06 AM

Scam...run away!
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:06 AM

Scam
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:08 AM

Sounds like a scam.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:13 AM

A couple of old thoughts come to mind.

If it’s too good to be true it probably is.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Not calling you a fool, but I would do my homework on this guy to insure he’s legit. Get references, try to find out who owns the land, do google searches on the dude, post his name on boards and see what people have to say about him and maybe inquire with the local Sherriff or Game Wardens. Me personally, I wouldn’t send the money until I knew a heck of lot more.

Another old saying. Better safe than sorry.

Oh yeah, welcome to the THF.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:14 AM

You don't say whether this is $50k or $500k... Once you wire money, it's gone, no getting it back. I sure wouldn't wire money for land, I'd go to a TItle Co. for the transaction, pay for the title insurance, etc. You can go to the County Tax Assessor's office and see who the land is actually titled to, depending on the county, they may have a website. Stop at a neighbor's house and ask them. Wouldn't be the first time someone was trying to sell someone else's land without telling them about it.

If I was trying to sell some land, I think I could make it out there to see someone wanting to buy it.
Posted By: Shoot&miss

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:18 AM

No I agree with you, we’ve been doing research, just getting some other thoughts. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:35 AM

I would do a search on that counties CAD to find out who the actual landowner is and make contact.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I would do a search on that counties CAD to find out who the actual landowner is and make contact.

Can also us OnX
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:47 AM

Need escrow lol
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 03:13 AM

Are there any back taxes due?
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 03:55 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Can also us OnX

I use both of these all of the time. up
Posted By: HS2

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 04:36 AM

As Charlie said, never buy land without going through a title company. Never ever. Even people who are honest sometimes have title problems with their land.

It’s also very easy in most counties to find the website with a cad map and check the owner.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 06:26 AM

trout
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 11:37 AM

LOL
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 11:58 AM

No bueno. I can see from your post your not considering buying but leasing. Even when leasing there needs to be a signed contract that stipulates ownership of property and leasing agent. This is one of th oldest leasing scams going......most often in east Texas.......find a property that has an absentee owner, show it and lease it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565

Not calling you a fool, but I would do my homework on this guy to insure he’s legit. Get references, try to find out who owns the land, do google searches on the dude, post his name on boards and see what people have to say about him and maybe inquire with the local Sherriff or Game Wardens. Me personally, I wouldn’t send the money until I knew a heck of lot more.

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 12:58 PM

you NEVER buy land, house ect with out title search, seller might own the land, AND owe on it
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:00 PM

Anyone selling land legitimately understands the wheels turn quite slow on said transactions. It's not to your favor if they are being pushy.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565

Welcome to BigJoe's Cliche Club. clap
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I sure wouldn't wire money for land, I'd go to a TItle Co. for the transaction, pay for the title insurance, etc. If I was trying to sell some land, I think I could make it out there to see someone wanting to buy it.

Agreed and unfortunately I felt I needed to do this and did when buying land from my mom. I feared she may have a will somewhere dog knows how old that gave it to me and brothers. Take no chances with serious money. Even if the landowner had an important meeting and couldn't make it, you'd think he could re-schedule or have a spouse or other at least grant access and show the place. Don't wire the money.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/18/19 05:56 PM

I got a buddy in Nigeria that can help
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/19/19 01:11 AM

Is this for a deer lease or to buy the land???
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/19/19 01:12 PM

My two cents.........it's a scam. Has all the signs of being one. Find out who the land owner is and contact him directly.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/19/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by HS2
As Charlie said, never buy land without going through a title company. Never ever. Even people who are honest sometimes have title problems with their land.

It’s also very easy in most counties to find the website with a cad map and check the owner.

Some land issues go back decades. You absolutely have to have Title Insurance when buying land. They also handle all of the money. Last time I sold some land, they would not accept cashiers checks because so many of them are frauds, and even when doing a wired bank money transfer, they made me wait three days to ensure that the cash was actually available before issuing me a check.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/19/19 05:13 PM

This reminds me of that game where everyone sits in a circle you start out whispering a sentence to the one sitting next to you and it completely changes by the time it gets full circle, LOL.

HE IS NOT TRYING TO BUY, HE WAS TRYING TO LEASE, read the op's post. roflmao
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/19/19 05:17 PM

Keep on looking ELSEWHERE. Post up his name so others can avoid this scam
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/20/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

scratch
I didn't see anywhere in his post where he says buy or lease.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Craigslist scam - 07/21/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by sqiggy
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

scratch
I didn't see anywhere in his post where he says buy or lease.

x2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum