Texas Hunting Forum

Anti hunting comments

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 06:07 PM

I've noticed more and more anti hunting comments on here. Someone always gives certain animals a pass, so they are down on anyone who isn't as enlightened as they think they are. I remember when the anti hunting movement was much worse when CASH and PETA were being successful with legislation. I just can't understand ever questioning why someone would hunt or kill an animal if it's legal to do so. It seems to me we're sometimes our own worst enemies.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 06:30 PM

I agree.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 06:41 PM

So much at play to say what would cause it, but I can't say I've noticed an increase on here, per se. 'Always gonna have the human nature element that everyone oughta do things my way; I don't think you'll ever get away from that. That gets into a lot of the subjects on here, HF/LF, caliber that's ethical, hunting over a feeder, etc. Very, very few people truly adhere to the "different strokes for different folks" philosophy. They'd rather look down on others, or otherwise measure certain body parts with each other, metaphorically speaking. grin

Then you have you're creep factor of the media/group think influence. "Animals are sentient", yada, yada. We were with our son and our granddaughter at Toy Story 4 yesterday. They played a preview of the new Lion King sequel coming out. The male "King" lion is talking to the cub about how a true leader figures out a way to give. In real life, not Disney, there isn't a cotton-picking thing "giving" about a male lion. But you know what? For a vast majority of children in America these days, the philosophy in The Lion King is as close to any form of religion they're ever gonna get. And, society is drilling into everyone that you are your own god, and that's where the "I'm more enlightened than you are" attitude comes from.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 07:04 PM

I do give certain animals a pass, but I’m about as far away from being an anti hunter than a guy can get. We don’t eat rabbit these days, so I don’t shoot em. And I let foxes and bobcats have a pass. Some folks give snakes a pass.

There are anti hunters in the family, all by marriage. A SiL’s sister won’t even visit our place due to deer heads on the wall. That’s a bit extreme, seems to me, but so be it.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I just can't understand ever questioning why someone would hunt or kill an animal if it's legal to do so.

To quote those who have said this previously on this forum about a number of things concerning hunting, "just because it is legal doesn't make it right." What people consider to be "right" varies from individual to individual.

Many of the folks that you are perceiving as our own worst enemies are often in a position where they feel like they are fighting the good fight against those who are hunting's own worst enemies.

That is part of it. Another part of it that I see seems to stem from the attitude that "If you don't hunt what I hunt, for the reasons I hunt, with the methods I hunt, you are doing it wrong" mindset.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 07:56 PM

The most common I've noticed are where someone posts a pic or tells about shooting something, other than a deer, and inevitably someone asks "Why did you kill a _______?"
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 09:06 PM

The most common I've noticed are where someone posts a pic or tells about shooting something, other than a deer, and inevitably someone asks "Why did you kill a _______?"

Like what? A rabbit? A squirrel? Possum? I musta missed a thread, your gonna have to be more specific.

Killing random animals for kicks is something I look down on.

That certainly doesn’t make me anti-hunting.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 10:30 PM

In the last year I've seen Why did you kill the jackrabbit, Why did you kill the fox, Why did you kill the badger ect ect.
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

Like what? A rabbit? A squirrel? Possum? I musta missed a thread, your gonna have to be more specific.

Killing random animals for kicks is something I look down on.

That certainly doesn’t make me anti-hunting.

In the last year I've seen "why did you kill the jackrabbit", "why did you kill the fox", "why did you kill the possum" , ect ect. Nothing about it being questionable on the hunter's part, but rather the person asking the question doesn't agree with the killing of that species of animal.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 10:43 PM

I want quail. And turkeys. I'm killin' every racoon, skunk, oppossum, armadillo, and yes, fox that I can get loaded and get a bead on. TPWD agrees with me. What the bunny huggers think doesn't bother me one wit. 'Probably gonna shoot a jack, open it up and do an African-style drag over the ranch's roads, hang it up and do some calling to see what shows up. up

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 10:53 PM

In the last year I've seen "why did you kill the jackrabbit", "why did you kill the fox", "why did you kill the possum" , ect ect. Nothing about it being questionable on the hunter's part, but rather the person asking the question doesn't agree with the killing of that species of animal.

That doesn’t make them anti-hunting.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 11:14 PM

That doesn’t make them anti-hunting.

It does in my book. What if I did it to everyone who talks or posts a pic of every hog or deer they killed. Call people out and question everyone about why they are doing what they are doing, implying they've done something wrong. Does that seem right to you?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 11:32 PM

Guys - the REAL issue is simply social media itself - and yes a forum like this is social media. On top of all that is twitter, facebook, instagram, and on and on.

This is a hunting forum - if you do not agree with animals being shot then go somewhere else. Nobody should have to defend taking an animal in a legal manner
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 11:39 PM

I agree. It would not offend me if this forum added a rule stating you aren't allowed to disparage or criticize legal hunting methods or members that hunt legally. This is the Texas HUNTING Forum, is it not?

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/07/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I agree. It would not offend me if this forum added a rule stating you aren't allowed to disparage or criticize legal hunting methods or members that hunt legally. This is the Texas HUNTING Forum, is it not?

AMEN ! Imagine a young hunter going out and predator calling for the first time. They call in a fox, make a perfect shot and post their proud pics on here. Then they read people asking why they killed the fox like they've committed a felony. If that's not negative to our sport, I can't imagine what is.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:45 AM

Imagine a young hunter going out and predator calling for the first time. They call in a fox, make a perfect shot and post their proud pics on here. Then they read people asking why they killed the fox like they've committed a felony. If that's not negative to our sport, I can't imagine what is.

So if I dont think clubbing baby seals is ok, I’m anti-hunting?

Is this really what your worried about? Talk about 1st World problems.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:06 AM

Imagine a young hunter going out and predator calling for the first time. They call in a fox, make a perfect shot and post their proud pics on here. Then they read people asking why they killed the fox like they've committed a felony. If that's not negative to our sport, I can't imagine what is.

Here you go...

https://www.peta.org/
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:08 AM

I would club baby seals if there were any around. Cheaper than 22 shells and you get that hands on experience. Liberalism runs deep without internal knowledge with some folks. Like a toad in the water as it gets heated up.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:12 AM

Talk about apples to oranges.

Clubbing seals is illegal to pretty much everyone except natives that survive on seal oil. You are not making a point with that comment.

Ethics and the law cross paths more often than not on the decision NOT to take something. Like a fish hooked deep bleeding from the gills. It's bleeding to death and you have to let it go because it's not quite big enough. Hitting a deer with a motorised vehicle also. Gotta leave report it and leave it to waste. I passed a few rotting by the road today.

The issue is that we have hunters posting critical things as a knee jerk reaction fueled by emotions instead of truth. That is exactly what anti hunters do and how they work to win public opinion. In my six months on here I've lost count of the number of times I have seen it

You win that fight by supporting legal and ethical hunters and presenting facts that do not support the arguments that anti hunters make.

Not by joining sides with them.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:16 AM

Here you go...

I still don't get it? I'm not big on using dogs for experiments either, so that makes me anti-hunting too? I shot an adorable raccoon right in the face Sat night as he exited my protein trough and I must say, I enjoyed that shot.

I haven't seen many anti-hunters on THF or even people leaning that way... hunting means different things to different folks, but that's really OK.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:18 AM

Amen to that

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

Here you go...

I still don't get it? I'm not big on using dogs for experiments either, so that makes me anti-hunting too? I shot an adorable raccoon right in the face Sat night as he exited my protein trough and I must say, I enjoyed that shot.

I haven't seen many anti-hunters on THF or even people leaning that way... hunting means different things to different folks, but that's really OK.

But that is a perfect example of what PETA does. They spread stuff in media/social media/internet to stir emotions and inspire people to donate to them, then they use that money to lobby for gun control and against hunting.

Wish I could remember what the percentage of their funds are spent lobbying for gun control. Their end game is to take away your guns and that is a fact.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by regularguy11B

But that is a perfect example of what PETA does. They spread stuff in media/social media/internet to stir emotions and inspire people to donate to them, then they use that money to lobby for gun control and against hunting.

Wish I could remember what the percentage of their funds are spent lobbying for gun control. Their end game is to take away your guns and that is a fact.

WTF does PETA have to do with an anti-hunting stance on THF when someone says they popped a Bobcat and someone says they'd have passed?

I get it... you guys are Russian trolls trying to sow hate and discontent here on THF! It ain't gonna work commies! cowboy texas

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:39 AM

My point to this thread was that we need to stick together and support each others endeavors. Being critical of how or what another person hunts divides us, and divided we will lose. Back in the 80's and early 90's, I worked in an archery pro shop. It was a good day if I got to work and the keyhole wasn't glued shut. People take for granted that the anti hunting movement has slowed but it's still here. We certainly don't need to contribute to it.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 02:47 AM

WTF does PETA have to do with an anti-hunting stance on THF when someone says they popped a Bobcat and someone says they'd have passed?

I get it... you guys are Russian trolls trying to sow hate and discontent here on THF! It ain't gonna work commies! cowboy texas

Ultimate cop out! It's the other way around!

But seriously, a lot of unreasonable criticism on here

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 03:01 AM

My point to this thread was that we need to stick together and support each others endeavors. Being critical of how or what another person hunts divides us, and divided we will lose. Back in the 80's and early 90's, I worked in an archery pro shop. It was a good day if I got to work and the keyhole wasn't glued shut. People take for granted that the anti hunting movement has slowed but it's still here. We certainly need to contribute to it.

Tilt at windmills much?

It’s ok if other hunters have different opinions. Doesn’t effect me.

Hunters are not a monolithic voice.

Look, you just accused me of working undercover for PETA. Your as hysterical as that dude on MSNBC named Richard Maddow.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 03:26 AM

Here you go...

Exactly!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 04:50 AM

Over 10 years ago I called in my first bobcat from a primitive high rack compared to now while predator hunting and posted a pic and a member asked why... Guess being in my early 30s and successful pissed him off... There will always be pissed off people. He didn't think any bobcats ever should be shot. I haven't shot one since then and seen several while deer hunting but by my choice, not his.

I still haven't posted my 2005 quail hunt with 60 quail and not one pointer in the pic...
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 10:50 AM

I don't make decisions about others and what they do. But, long age, I quit using animals for target practice.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I don't make decisions about others and what they do. But, long age, I quit using animals for target practice.

I'd love to see an example of that in this forum if you could present it. I Have not seen it
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:01 PM

Someone has an opinion different than yours and you try to shut it down? We now need rules to governor speech? This is nothing but a THF form of PC. Thanks liberals, but I'll pass.
Posted By: shightower

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:09 PM

This is an interesting topic for me. I teach hunter ed in a high school where very few students have shot a firearms or hunted. As I’m teaching class I find my self trying to justify why it’s important shooting (for example) prairie dogs.
Because it’s “fun” or great target practice is sometimes hard to justify to some students.

I stress that hunting is conservation and give the success stories. (Whitetail deer) I also want the students to give examples of why they think hunting is bad. THERE ARE MORE NON HUNTERS THAN HUNTERS!!!!!!!!

We have to appreciate and understand everyone’s point of view and respect it.

In my opinion ETHICS and social media are our biggest threats as hunters.
For example , if a hunter shoots an animal that is legal to harvest but questionable and then post it on social media it BLOWS UP. The legality of it is irrelevant at this point.

For the most part hunters can justify harvesting an animal to eat. Shooting an animal for target practice is hard to justify, especially when it’s posted on social media.

I think most will agree, that gun ownership goes hand and hand with hunting. There are people in both categories that are new to it and are not in the “traditional “ category.
They probably didn’t have granddad or dad telling them if you shoot it you eat it.
For many of us this is in our heads before we shoot anything, wether we adhere to it or not, but it’s there.

Posted By: Marc K

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:14 PM

Opinions will be expressed on open forums - nature of the beast. If I disagree with an opinion, I can ignore it or offer an intelligent response about my opinion. Seems like a non-issue to me.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:17 PM

We are our own worst enemy. It's one thing to have a differing opinions. It's another to publicly ridicule someone for hunting an animal totally within their rights.

The things I see online that are common.

1. High fence vs low fence. I could never see myself paying someone to hunt a high fence, but if someone called me and said hey man let's go cull some deer on my high fence you keep the meat... I will be hitting the door with the 270. But I'll be danged if you will catch me running down anyone on a public forum for writing that check

2. Long range shots. I personally would get no enjoyment out of shooting a deer or elk from a half mile away. I know people that love to shoot. They almost have an ocd part to them. Totally different than myself. In all actuality the 1st time I drew back on a deer with my bow I thought I'll never touch a rifle again. But you won't see me beating up folks that do. Nor do I want to be put down for bow hunting when the chances of wounding an animal are considerably higher.

3. Becoming more common with the rise of western Hunting is public vs private. I live to hunt public for several reasons none of which make me a better hunter or give me a right to look down on someone who doesn't. I've found that it's the adventure that keeps me in the hunt. Sitting gazing at the same field, feeder oak bottom etc for years on end seems boring to me. But do I care how or where someone else chooses to hunt? Absolutely not. Land owners feel a connection with a particular piece of property and the animals on it. They take pride in the stewardship of it. Good for them. Without a great mix of public and private land going into conservation efforts etc we would not be where we are today.

Ultimately the issue is the internet gives everyone a place to talk. That can be good and it can be bad. You get me out around a campfire with a couple buddies my opinion may be more blunt on a variety of issues and that is where those opinions belong. Not strung all over the internet like dirty laundry.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:41 PM

When I first started hunting as a kid back in the 70's, no one ever voiced an issue with killing any type of snake, nor did people act as if their pets were people. Now we have people pleading on social media for people to not shoot fireworks because it scares their pets, and television commercials encouraging people to look for a new place to live because sirens scare them.

Forget the issue with hunting. I'm wondering what the hell is going to happen when our nation faces a true crisis with Snowflakes now running deep and wide.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 01:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 03:12 PM

Here you go...

Exactly!

There seems to be a huge logic gap here between equating PETA with hunters that don't share the same, a universal set, hunting values.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
When I first started hunting as a kid back in the 70's, no one ever voiced an issue with killing any type of snake, nor did people act as if their pets were people. Now we have people pleading on social media for people to not shoot fireworks because it scares their pets, and television commercials encouraging people to look for a new place to live because sirens scare them.

Forget the issue with hunting. I'm wondering what the hell is going to happen when our nation faces a true crisis with Snowflakes now running deep and wide.

Man you hit the nail on the head

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Palehorse
[Linked Image]

I could probably take a lesson from Tim myself
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 04:22 PM

I shoot hogs and leave them lay apparently that hurts some people feelings

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 04:48 PM

Apparently a whole lot more of us ought to shoot them and leave them lay, as many as you can and way more than you could possibly process. This talk of using poison has me worried.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
We are our own worst enemy. It's one thing to have a differing opinions. It's another to publicly ridicule someone for hunting an animal totally within their rights.

1. High fence vs low fence. I could never see myself paying someone to hunt a high fence, but if someone called me and said hey man let's go cull some deer on my high fence you keep the meat... I will be hitting the door with the 270. But I'll be danged if you will catch me running down anyone on a public forum for writing that check

2. Long range shots. I personally would get no enjoyment out of shooting a deer or elk from a half mile away. I know people that love to shoot. They almost have an ocd part to them. Totally different than myself. In all actuality the 1st time I drew back on a deer with my bow I thought I'll never touch a rifle again. But you won't see me beating up folks that do. Nor do I want to be put down for bow hunting when the chances of wounding an animal are considerably higher.

3. Becoming more common with the rise of western Hunting is public vs private. I live to hunt public for several reasons none of which make me a better hunter or give me a right to look down on someone who doesn't. I've found that it's the adventure that keeps me in the hunt. Sitting gazing at the same field, feeder oak bottom etc for years on end seems boring to me. But do I care how or where someone else chooses to hunt? Absolutely not. Land owners feel a connection with a particular piece of property and the animals on it. They take pride in the stewardship of it. Good for them. Without a great mix of public and private land going into conservation efforts etc we would not be where we are today.

Ultimately the issue is the internet gives everyone a place to talk. That can be good and it can be bad. You get me out around a campfire with a couple buddies my opinion may be more blunt on a variety of issues and that is where those opinions belong. Not strung all over the internet like dirty laundry.

Spot on IMO. Public opinion/ridicule is expected in open internet forums. Shouldn't be accepted on a hunting forum for LEGAL hunting. Does not help our cause in any way, shape or form. And doesn't foster new friendships, just the opposite FME.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 05:27 PM

You have to becareful putting it on the grill. Bad flare ups!!!!! Lots of great fat. I started just using a cast iron to sear to keep grill from flaming up and catching fire... again. Burned down three grills until I figured it out.

I was really reluctant to use non-native mesquite, I highly suggest just a hint of mesquite smoke though. Inuits can just get over it. I left them a few mesquite beans just in case, they come around to my way of thinking.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 06:15 PM

Clubbing baby seals is a form of legal hunting. I don’t agree with it, or think it’s ethical. I’ll speak about it however I want. If something me snowflake gets offended, tough [censored].

Same with hunters who drive around & shoot up all the rabbits, squirrels, possums, etc. I think they are complete [censored], & are not welcome on my place. Don’t like it? Life is tough, plan accordingly.

Just because you shoot something doesn’t make it hunting.

Citiots just can’t wait to get to the country & shoot up everything. Doesn’t make them hunters.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 06:29 PM

Clubbing baby seals is a form of legal hunting. I don’t agree with it, or think it’s ethical. I’ll speak about it however I want. If something me snowflake gets offended, tough [censored].

Same with hunters who drive around & shoot up all the rabbits, squirrels, possums, etc. I think they are complete [censored], & are not welcome on my place. Don’t like it? Life is tough, plan accordingly.

Citiots just can’t wait to get to the country & shoot up everything. Doesn’t make them hunters.

So are you out on the seal ribs? Pit style???? With a good ol Texan rub!!! Cooked to perfection and failing from the bone...finger licking good!!!

Ironically when the EU through such a fit about seal hunts it really killed the Inuit economy... apparently they make lots of money from pelts. Who knew.....
Posted By: freerange

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 06:44 PM

Im moving deer stands so no time to elaborate but ducknbass covered my thoughts pretty well. To expand some I would say that a few negative comments are to be expected an they won’t come much from me regardless if I disagree. I don’t feel good about hushing anybody up rather I like their mouth or not.
Posted By: Schat

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 06:49 PM

I am the last person to want to be called a PC type, thought control, or tree hugger of any sort. But social media is double edge sword, what one sees as good fun( I enjoy the forum and post), other sees as unneeded actions. I recently attended a conference where people are looking a varmint tournaments, a lot of there info was coming from social media post. They are legal in Texas, but the feeling was not in support. I see it like the old tarpon tournaments. It not the action, but the what people see or want to see. a lot of there info was just pictures of hunts and the end. No, thought on predator control or it s legal. They even tally positive and negative response in there own data pool from other state tournaments from social media. I do not what the side board put on the data, but social media is real broad. I may not shot a bobcat in my old age, but I will not pass up a stray cat. This might make a hypocrite and will take the comments. But posting a feral cat would get me in hot water from many side of the world. so, posting any thing (pic or comments) that could be tallied as negative, may or may not help the cause. I feel most hunters shot a few animals we did not eat , for what ever the reason. but as we grow older it weeds it self out. I remember in my youth when I would shot a limit of doves and both my bother and sister. We cleaned birds till it was late. Now it ok to watch the grand kids shoot a limit even if I am a few short. I would not post the pictures grand kids, youngest boy is never clean and feathers seam to be a thing to play with. Anti hunters would think he was tarred and feathered. Food for thought
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 07:16 PM

As a people we have moved away from a rural life style. My grand pa would raise ducks, chickens and goats and no one made a fuss when they were killed and prepared for dinner. It was the way it was. Now a feather on a piece of chicken on the store shelf is repulsive to many.

Our society via media has attributed human values to wild life starting with Bambi. We see loving and friendly carnivores as moms, dads and cute little babies.

This in addition to the media exploiting some who have demonstrated a barbaric and crude behavior has expanded the anti hunting population.

I am as pro hunting as you can get and have no hesitation in harvesting game but I also question the harvesting certain unique animals. An elephant as an example.

I'm sure this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flashprism
As a people we have moved away from a rural life style. My grand pa would raise ducks, chickens and goats and no one made a fuss when they were killed and prepared for dinner. It was the way it was. Now a feather on a piece of chicken on the store shelf is repulsive to many.

Our society via media has attributed human values to wild life starting with Bambi. We see loving and friendly carnivores as moms, dads and cute little babies.

This in addition to the media exploiting some who have demonstrated a barbaric and crude behavior has expanded the anti hunting population.

I am as pro hunting as you can get and have no hesitation in harvesting game but I also question the harvesting certain unique animals. An elephant as an example.

This type of opinion does not offend or attack other legal hunters.......I'm all for opinions like; "not my cup of tea but to each their own as long as it's legal hunting" if your asked about it in the post. But if your not asked, what good comes from posting that you wouldn't hunt this animal or this method of legal hunting?

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
So are you out on the seal ribs? Pit style???? With a good ol Texan rub!!! Cooked to perfection and failing from the bone...finger licking good!!! .

Pit style, absolutely! It’s a bit greasy.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 07:47 PM

So are you out on the seal ribs? Pit style???? With a good ol Texan rub!!! Cooked to perfection and failing from the bone...finger licking good!!! .

Pit style, absolutely! It’s a bit greasy.

I’m booking a trip to Nova Scotia, I’m looking for a pellet grill sponsor. Pretty sure I’m about to ink a deal with Yoder, I turned down those peasants over at Traeger. Can you believe they wanted me to use a tailgate model. No body got time for that. Can’t even get half a tiny seal on that thing
Posted By: majekman

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 08:12 PM

Have a good friend who’s a prominent physician in south Texas and hard core hunter. Always his dream to take a bull elephant. He got it done a couple years ago in Africa. He wrote a really big check for the pleasure, also. Hunt was very anticlimactic. He shot the bull just outside of a village after ph waking him up in middle of the night. He shot it while a bunch of natives held flashlights on the animal. It was a crop and village destroying rouge bull.
My point is I chastised my friend for not being a hunter...just a shooter but it was all good natured ribbing. No way would I care to do something like that. But it was legal and he wrote the check, so be it.
He also had to keep it really on the sly because he was fully aware that if it got on social media....they would tar and feather him and try to destroy his hard earned reputation in his profession. That sucks but oh so true.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flashprism

African Hunting is foreign to most of us. Rest assured two things. One it is portrait in a negative light and has been our entire life. But if one does the slightest amount of research they will find that African game does better with American hunters hunting them. The meat does no go to waste and the management practices are second to none.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/08/19 11:59 PM

You should educate yourself about elephant carrying capacity in southern Africa and what the elephant population currently is in certain southern African countries. Botswana just reinstated hunting. Don't be a dupe of western media...and "Bambi" yourself.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 12:23 AM

OMG I'm so sorry I used the word question. I should have realized the implications went far beyond the the meaning of the word itself and I was essentially attacking my fellow hunters which is the last thing I intended. I'll be certain to be less offensive in the future.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 12:49 AM

Posted By: tlk

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 01:11 AM

For real? Shooting a squirrel and eating it is now a bad thing and if I do that I am a butt hole?

My family has lived in Texas over 130 years and went squirrel hunting for many many years. Was great fun and then we would take them home and prepare them to eat. NO DIFFERENT from shooting a deer, quail, etc. I have been a hunter for well over 60 years thank you

Yes I will plan accordingly and gladly not come to "your place" - give me a break

you Sir are on the wrong forum IMO -

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 03:01 AM

Really not fair to lump rabbits in with that. If you can't appreciate a cottontail as a game animal and food source you're no better than the "citiots" you loathe.

Hunting isn't all about the biggest antlers on the wall. Take a look in the mirror.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 03:04 AM

Really not fair to lump rabbits in with that. If you can't appreciate a cottontail as a game animal and food source you're no better than the "citiots" you loathe.

Hunting isn't all about the biggest antlers on the wall. Take a look in the mirror.

Damn if i didnt just do it too. Good grief.

Ya'll have fun bashing each other. The way things are going, hunting will be forbidden in 50 years and there probably won't be any good habitst left for game anyway. Because there will be no revenue from sportsmen to protect it.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

For real? Shooting a squirrel and eating it is now a bad thing and if I do that I am a butt hole?

My family has lived in Texas over 130 years and went squirrel hunting for many many years. Was great fun and then we would take them home and prepare them to eat. NO DIFFERENT from shooting a deer, quail, etc. I have been a hunter for well over 60 years thank you

Yes I will plan accordingly and gladly not come to "your place" - give me a break

I agree with you.

This forum is completely divided, it is like high school shenanigans all over again with the cliques and such.

A lot of the anti hunting banter is coming from snobs looking down on a lot of us. Quick to put you down to make themselves feel better, gotta lump you into neat little categories as they see it.

I'd guess that's about 99% of it right there. Hell with that!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 03:41 AM

I'd love to see an example of that in this forum if you could present it. I Have not seen it

I’ll give you an example of using animals as target practice.

Ive killed tens of thousands of jack rabbits just to watch them die. I’ve killed them running, jumping, standing, and any other way to shoot them with a 22. When I was a kid if I could talk anyone into driving around after dark I could burn a brick of 22’s in a few hours on jacks. I also can’t think of how many English sparrows I killed sitting on the pens. I never was much on shooting paper but I killed thousands of animals before I had a drivers license, and several times that after I had my own vehicle. Maybe that’s why I don’t miss when it counts.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 04:19 AM

If there were that many to kill then I would bet it needed to be done.

When I was a boy we used to have contest who could kill the most english sparrows in a day. We called them dookie birds and would take out hundreds of them in a day with just pump up pellet guns. Yes in town, mesquite/balch springs in the 80's and the neighbors were so happy we were killing them.

When we moved to rowlett I killed every snake and turtle I saw on the water until I got straightened out for killing a slew of bullsnakes out back.

Yep I was taught to eat anything I killed. But I learned wuickly there are exceptions to that rule!
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/09/19 04:12 PM

The only opinion you have to worry about is the TPWD. If it’s legal and you are legal, then that’s end of story.

These forums are always good for a laugh with the sanctimonious do gooders whose ways, ideas, beliefs, and perceptions whose mantra is “ to each my way or else.”

I too have many ideas/beliefs I follow, but my right to an opinion gives no validity to that opinion except for me.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 01:09 AM

I have a lot of opinions about this thread but im afraid to post them so instead ill just go this direction::
Im not sure how to word this so I don't offend anyone. What I WANT to say is I WISH yall didn't say things that offend others but then yall might be offended by me saying that. Dang!! We have free speech and this is an open forum so it would probably be smart to wade in with thick skin(there are no rules in a knife fight.) Im as thin skinned as they come so even though I know we WONT ALWAYS AGREE I also recognize its possible that we ALL GET ALONG.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 01:21 AM

There are certain things I don’t care for but I would never want to outlaw that behavior

If it’s legal, get after just some ain’t for me

African hunts-I’m out
Hunting game animals with 50 cal-I’m out
High fence-I’m out

That’s enough to get blasted on here, I just have 0 interest in that

We have enough laws/rules in this country to be trying to create more.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 02:13 AM

just because tpwd deems something as "legal" doesn't not make it ethically correct. so lets not get totally hung up on that. don't ask me to define ethical either, because someone will say i'm wrong. I agree that hunters as a whole should stick together better. "anti" hunters won't get anywhere with the way they go about things because there really aren't that many. "non" hunters are the ones that have the numbers
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I do give certain animals a pass, but I’m about as far away from being an anti hunter than a guy can get. We don’t eat rabbit these days, so I don’t shoot em. And I let foxes and bobcats have a pass. Some folks give snakes a pass.

There are anti hunters in the family, all by marriage. A SiL’s sister won’t even visit our place due to deer heads on the wall. That’s a bit extreme, seems to me, but so be it.

THIS is exactly how I think, I never shot fox, cat's (feral were always in the cross hairs) but I certainly don't condemn hunters that do

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by 603Country

THIS is exactly how I think, I never shot fox, cat's (feral were always in the cross hairs) but I certainly don't condemn hunters that do

Amen to that

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by woodduckhunter
just because tpwd deems something as "legal" doesn't not make it ethically correct. so lets not get totally hung up on that. don't ask me to define ethical either, because someone will say i'm wrong. I agree that hunters as a whole should stick together better. "anti" hunters won't get anywhere with the way they go about things because there really aren't that many. "non" hunters are the ones that have the numbers

Your ethics views should have no bearing on how hunters legally hunt..... I will stay totally hung up on that fact. This is not the Texas Ethics Forum, it's the Texas Hunting Forum........and I will only concern myself with what TP&W deems legal hunting. Keep your ethics to yourself.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

WOW.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 08:02 PM

Your ethics views should have no bearing on how hunters legally hunt..... I will stay totally hung up on that fact. This is not the Texas Ethics Forum, it's the Texas Hunting Forum........and I will only concern myself with what TP&W deems legal hunting. Keep your ethics to yourself.

Yup...if you don't like it then don't do it or allow it on your property....period... 2cents

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 08:08 PM

I've heard that baby seal only fed mothers milk BBQs just like cabrito..... food

How do you feel about killing Coons? Feral dogs or cats? Whitetail Doe? Turkey hens? Whales? Sharks? Snakes? Spiders? Cockroaches? Fire ants? ....Jes trying to see where the line is drawn.... scratch

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid

WOW.

Dude has some brass hangers for sure

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/10/19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid

WOW.

Dude has some brass hangers for sure

That method works every time until it doesn't and you are trampled to death.....pass!
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Yup...if you don't like it then don't do it or allow it on your property....period... 2cents

Correct, this is the Texas Hunting Forum. Unfortunately, hunting ethics or lack thereof, is what will cause hunting to become more restricted and regulated than it is today. and like I said earlier, everyone has their own definition of hunting ethics, right or wrong. HF, feeders, box stands, cameras, bows, little guns, certain types of food plots, etc, to each their own. If youre on your own place and you want to do it, you should be allowed to do it.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 02:47 AM

Correct, this is the Texas Hunting Forum. Unfortunately, hunting ethics or lack thereof, is what will cause hunting to become more restricted and regulated than it is today. and like I said earlier, everyone has their own definition of hunting ethics, right or wrong. HF, feeders, box stands, cameras, bows, little guns, certain types of food plots, etc, to each their own. If youre on your own place and you want to do it, you should be allowed to do it.

You mean like calling things like baiting bears unethical? The best chance to properly age, identify sex, and give you the highest percentage of an uncomplicated shot opportunity is unethical because a food source is allowed?

Who knew there are now ethical ways to kill dinner. I always figured it was a simple dead or alive, eat or eaten ideology. Who knew an animal cared how sporting your where in its death

Ethics is an Anti hunting tool to destroy means and methods until nothing is left....irony is our loathing toward others hunting adventures not of our own and pride put it on a silver plate for them

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 03:30 AM

I've heard that baby seal only fed mothers milk BBQs just like cabrito..... food

How do you feel about killing Coons? Feral dogs or cats? Whitetail Doe? Turkey hens? Whales? Sharks? Snakes? Spiders? Cockroaches? Fire ants? ....Jes trying to see where the line is drawn.... scratch

I don't know, I think the fat of a baby seal has gotta be even better. Now you got me thinking about slurping that stuff down and licking my greasy fingers.mmmmmmm baby seal. Bucket list!

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 03:57 AM

I don't know, I think the fat of a baby seal has gotta be even better. Now you got me thinking about slurping that stuff down and licking my greasy fingers.mmmmmmm baby seal. Bucket list!

That’s the spirt!!!!! See we all can find common ground with BBQ!!!!

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 04:17 AM

Seal rhymes with veal

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

Wow! I posted the PETA link just as a jab, but after reading that statement from him, just wow! I've been hunting rabbits, squirrels and possums for 40 years. Rabbits and squirrels for the pot and possums to control them, to bring back the turkey population on my ranch. Just shocking to see this on the THF.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 05:29 AM

Boil the fat off your possum and crock pot with a bottle of bbq sauce. Just like pork

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 11:15 AM

Wow! I posted the PETA link just as a jab, but after reading that statement from him, just wow! I've been hunting rabbits, squirrels and possums for 40 years. Rabbits and squirrels for the pot and possums to control them, to bring back the turkey population on my ranch. Just shocking to see this on the THF.

Shocking! OMG! That’s the first time I’ve ever heard of a possum hunter.

You found me out, I work undercover for PETA.

Your superior intelligence was craftily hidden, & I was hopelessly outclassed.

Do you ever eat a hamburger, or are you the Texas version of Jeremiah Johnson?

Hamburger meat comes from the store & doesn’t involve the killing of animals, that’s what you should be eating.

If only I was as good a hunter as you are, I could live off the land also. But alas, I’m a vagitarian (& also a lesbian).

I assume you live no further than 15 minutes from a Super Wal Mart, Mr Johnson. You really need to get over yourself. 40 years of living my off possum meat can change a man.

Posted By: TLew

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 04:13 PM

Well this escalated quickly...
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 04:49 PM

“ Citiots” now that’s a good one! I’ve come across quite a few of them in my life.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 05:17 PM

It’s said ten jackrabbit eat as much grass as one cow...

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 07:59 PM

I’ll take steak.

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 09:21 PM

Based on our land owners request I shoot every coyote, raccoon and skunk I see. It’s his belief these animals impact the quail and turkey population and he wants the quail to make a comeback. I also shoot every pig I see as well and I’ll use them for bait. Not sure if this makes me “that guy” who shoots everything up for grins and giggles.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/11/19 10:39 PM

I’ll take steak.

Technically nothing in an eco system really goes to waste.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 04:39 AM

If you really believe in what you do is right, why shut others out or stop to listen to their position? Hunting being right or wrong is an opinion, not a fact, the more people talk and break down those barriers between the groups the better for the sport as a whole. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right, at one point all hunting was legal and that had serious impacts some of which will never be reversed. We wouldn't even have these resources if it wasn't for regulation so all those people who say "I do what I want when I want" are full of it. People like Steve Rinella are perfect ambassadors in my opinion, I don't agree with him on everything, but he talks about the issues facing hunting/fishing and finds middle ground or respectfully disagrees. To me it seems like so many more people are open to hunting in recent years as a way of subsidizing your family's organic protein consumption that would have been completely anti in the past.

In my opinion the biggest threats facing hunting is trophy hunting, high fence ranches, claiming hunters are the biggest conservationists, and killing animals you do not eat.

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
Based on our land owners request I shoot every coyote, raccoon and skunk I see. It’s his belief these animals impact the quail and turkey population and he wants the quail to make a comeback. I also shoot every pig I see as well and I’ll use them for bait. Not sure if this makes me “that guy” who shoots everything up for grins and giggles.

https://nri.tamu.edu/blog/2018/june...and-the-mesopredator-release-hypothesis/

https://quailforever.org/Habitat/Why-Habitat/Quail-Facts/Effects-of-Predators.aspx

https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLa...heasant-Quail-Populat.aspx?feed=articles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdopGBtb0A

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by TrackQuack
If you really believe in what you do is right, why shut others out or stop to listen to their position? Hunting being right or wrong is an opinion, not a fact, the more people talk and break down those barriers between the groups the better for the sport as a whole. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right, at one point all hunting was legal and that had serious impacts some of which will never be reversed. We wouldn't even have these resources if it wasn't for regulation so all those people who say "I do what I want when I want" are full of it. People like Steve Rinella are perfect ambassadors in my opinion, I don't agree with him on everything, but he talks about the issues facing hunting/fishing and finds middle ground or respectfully disagrees. To me it seems like so many more people are open to hunting in recent years as a way of subsidizing your family's organic protein consumption that would have been completely anti in the past.

In my opinion the biggest threats facing hunting is trophy hunting, high fence ranches, claiming hunters are the biggest conservationists, and killing animals you do not eat.

https://quailforever.org/Habitat/Why-Habitat/Quail-Facts/Effects-of-Predators.aspx

Prime example of emotional response with no basisis on fact or even what you quoted. Go back and read your quote from bigjoe and try again!
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 07:59 AM

Prime example of emotional response with no basisis on fact or even what you quoted. Go back and read your quote from bigjoe and try again!

Bryan - I can tell that we would not agree on much from a majority of your posts. That is ok. Also, I am emotional when it comes to hunting & fishing as they are my biggest passions in life outside of my family. That does not sway fact/fiction.

There are 3 credible sources stating that based on their collected scientific data, coyotes do not hurt quail populations. They are aligned in the theory that if anything they help to manage and balance the ecosystem. This is coming from a generally hunting funded organization that has a primary focus on sustainable quail/pheasant populations.

My last post on the matter.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 12:09 PM

Nothing wrong with respectfully disagreeing about legal hunting methods........the problem is many disrespect and try to shame other hunters/methods that are LEGAL.........and they try to speculate what MIGHT happen with the non hunting public if all hunters don't follow the hunting methods that they use.......but their methods like bow hunting factually wound more animals that suffer a slow agonizing death rather than using a modern rifle to make a clean kill......then the hypocrisy of their "hunting beliefs" comes to the forefront that speaks volumes about their true agenda......they want to be in charge of how other hunters hunt and eliminate methods they don't use or agree with......period.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 12:27 PM

Steven is a great ambassador but he fails greatly to remind people that 80% of hunters hunt private land not public, the true conservationists is the private land owner/hunter that has invested money to increase and save productive wildlife habitat. The same people/his following typical make trifling comments about. Technically leasing for hunting is a big Conservation action, you are incentivizing landowner to keep or increase current wildlife habitat.

His purity score is EXACTLY what’s wrong with hunting today. It’s a chest beating pulpit pounding.

The greatest threat to hunters is hunters egos and measuring contests. Not HF, not trophy hunting, not trapping, not predation control, it’s how we tell and present our story and the true why’s IMO

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 12:34 PM

The seal hunting mention on this thread is a perfect example. The limiting ability or push back on the Inuit seal hunting was actually from Europe. As liberal as Canada is the overwhelming majority of Canadians support indigenous traditions and hunting....why?

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 03:09 PM

Without so-called trophy hunting which in my opinion doesn't even exist the term being used by a supposed Hunter is Goofy but without so-called trophy hunting and Texas high fence ranches there would be a lot of African plains animals that simply do not exist anymore. without Americans going to Africa and spending a lot of money to kill big game animals, probably what you refer to as trophy hunting there would be no animals in Africa that is a simple fact it is an unquestionable undeniable fact without Americans hunting those animals they are worthless to the local population and they will kill them because they eat their crops they destroy their villages and they ruin heir livelihood. inarguable fact.

So the real threat to those animals is people that are willingly ignorant on the reality of the situation and put down people that go and hunt them.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 03:20 PM

Without so-called trophy hunting which in my opinion doesn't even exist the term being used by a supposed Hunter is Goofy but without so-called trophy hunting and Texas high fence ranches there would be a lot of African plains animals that simply do not exist anymore. without Americans going to Africa and spending a lot of money to kill big game animals, probably what you refer to as trophy hunting there would be no animals in Africa that is a simple fact it is an unquestionable undeniable fact without Americans hunting those animals they are worthless to the local and they will kill them because they eat their crops they destroy their villages and they ruin heir livelihood. inarguable fact.

X2 , Heck even here in the US with out “trophy hunting” we wouldn’t have the same animal recovery or conservation dollars we currently get for raffle and Governor sheep, elk and deer tags!! One auction sheep tag in Texas is worth proportionally more then then entire sheep draw.

Boone and Crockett started trophy hunting aka a scoring system to push and highlight areas that have higher age class, great genetics and optimal nutrition(aka density to carrying capacity).

We have done a terrible job explaining what we do, what we consume, give back etc. because we are too busy shooting holes in the bottom of the boat because we think Joe bobs hunting style and animals is less deserving of accreditation then our own and we won’t stand for it.....

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 03:37 PM

Without so-called trophy hunting which in my opinion doesn't even exist the term being used by a supposed Hunter is Goofy but without so-called trophy hunting and Texas high fence ranches there would be a lot of African plains animals that simply do not exist anymore. without Americans going to Africa and spending a lot of money to kill big game animals, probably what you refer to as trophy hunting there would be no animals in Africa that is a simple fact it is an unquestionable undeniable fact without Americans hunting those animals they are worthless to the local and they will kill them because they eat their crops they destroy their villages and they ruin heir livelihood. inarguable fact.

X2 , Heck even here in the US with out “trophy hunting” we wouldn’t have the same animal recovery or conservation dollars we currently get for raffle and Governor sheep, elk and deer tags!! One auction sheep tag in Texas is worth proportionally more then then entire sheep draw.

Boone and Crockett started trophy hunting aka a scoring system to push and highlight areas that have higher age class, great genetics and optimal nutrition(aka density to carrying capacity).

We have done a terrible job explaining what we do, what we consume, give back etc. because we are too busy shooting holes in the bottom of the boat because we think Joe bobs hunting style and animals is less deserving of accreditation then our own and we won’t stand for it.....

But but Cecil and that evil Knowlton.
Posted By: breadman

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 04:06 PM

There are anti hunters in the family, all by marriage. A SiL’s sister won’t even visit our place due to deer heads on the wall. That’s a bit extreme, seems to me, but so be it.[/quote]
[/color] SO THATS THE TRICK ?[color:#CC0000] , im in mounts are gonna be relocated from my cave to the living/dinning room ,,yehaw

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 10:16 PM

Bryan - I can tell that we would not agree on much from a majority of your posts. That is ok. Also, I am emotional when it comes to hunting & fishing as they are my biggest passions in life outside of my family. That does not sway fact/fiction.

There are 3 credible sources stating that based on their collected scientific data, coyotes do not hurt quail populations. They are aligned in the theory that if anything they help to manage and balance the ecosystem. This is coming from a generally hunting funded organization that has a primary focus on sustainable quail/pheasant populations.

My last post on the matter.

Probably tainted by liberal universities involved, no doubt.

They tried to do it in the 2 year coyote study conducted on Fort Bragg. They lied outright, claimed the coyotes weren't eating fawns and made no inpact on the population of whitetail deer. The Fort Bragg wildlife department had a different opinion on the matter.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/12/19 11:12 PM

This has been the top post all week !!

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/14/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Thekitch

Folks sure got riled up. The intent was to suggest for people to stop making condescending comments about which species of animals others choose to legally hunt, because they don't agree with the killing of that particular species. Seems pretty simple to me.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/14/19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thekitch

Folks sure got riled up. The intent was to suggest for people to stop making condescending comments about which species of animals others choose to legally hunt, because they don't agree with the killing of that particular species. Seems pretty simple to me.

I've come to the conclusion that you can start a thread on virtually any subject and arguments will eventually ensue if people post on it long enough. About half the time the arguments have nothing to do with the OP. This is a big reason I steer clear of many of the threads here. I'm just not a big fan of getting into online brawls with keyboard warriors, many of which would never say in person what they say online. You can bet your bottom dollar the minute emotion enters the equation all logic goes out the window. That's when the insults and personal attacks start and it generally goes downhill from there. The best thing about the internet is it gives everyone a platform to say what they want, and the worst thing about the internet is it gives everyone a platform to say what they want.
As far as the OP, I agree with your sentiment. It would be nice if everyone would just accept how/what others choose to hunt and move on, but some just can't pull it off because they let their emotions take over. Some folks are just very passionate about their beliefs and that's difficult to overcome.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/22/19 05:02 AM

I’m not one to tell a man what he can and cannot shoot. I wouldn’t hesitate to kill any animal that needed killing, and have done so.....coons, possums, dogs, whatever. My grandfather lived in a time when people would drown whole litters of puppies because no one needed another dog. But I sure wish some of those hunters years ago had left a few black bear and more bobcat. I don’t get a chance to hunt bear in Texas because those guys didn’t see any wrong in killing every one they saw. And I seem to keep learning that some of these animals are beneficial, so I give most a pass. But as I said, if a man wants to shoot everything legal I guess that’s his business. I keep thinking of the fisherman who complain that they can’t catch 300 crappie like they used to......yeah, cause you caught them all. But there doesn’t seem to be any shortage of tree rats or corn bandits or coyotes, I don’t have qualms with killing animals, but I sure enjoy watching them more.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/22/19 03:06 PM

Dang good thread. A lot of places wouldn’t discuss and agree/disagree with this civility. Which I guess means that there is a shortage of mean spirited liberals here.

Re: Anti hunting comments - 07/22/19 04:24 PM

Dang good thread. A lot of places wouldn’t discuss and agree/disagree with this civility. Which I guess means that there is a shortage of mean spirited liberals here.

clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum