Texas Hunting Forum

Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 12:55 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else encounter Murphy’s Law at the deer lease? Seems that any time I go to work at the lease if something can go wrong, it does go wrong. Nothing ever goes as smooth as I plan!
Posted By: DCS

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 01:08 PM

Oh, believe me there have been some trips from hell. Flat tires, truck issues on the way up, I discovered I forgot my wallet at home about 3 hours into the trip one time and had to turn around, dead batteries, feeders still full because of loose spinner plates, busted water pipes, and the list goes on. It's not just you.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 02:45 PM

I had two bad trips in a row when I went to cut mesquite. The drive sprocket was grooved on my chain saw one trip. The idler sprocket on the bar split the next time. And my camera batteries went from three bars to dead in two days.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 02:53 PM

The correct tool is never in the SxS or in my container, it's always "next trip".
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 06:44 PM

Frozen water line at pump, power loss for a month and 200# of game really ripe,refrigerator broke and rotten food. trailer robbed, hot water heater burnt out, pressure switch shorted on well etc etc. always expect the unexpected frown
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 06:44 PM

Happens every trip for our group. Keeping up with 10 feeders, 5 blinds, cameras and fencing plus campers is a chore. We buy everything in 2's right now. If one timer goes out, sure enough another will. Just part of the fun I guess.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 07:28 PM

Every darn time. I'm sure we could all raise our post count by 20 if we listed them all...
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 09:30 PM

It is hardly an adventure if everything goes right and according to plan.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

So true! Plus I don't even know I went unless I'm bleeding somewhere!

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 11:30 PM

X2 on bleeding. This weekend I stabbed my finger with a screwdriver, several cuts from barb wire and stabbed by multiple mesquite thorns. The mesquite thorns suck.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Posted By: Grizz

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 11:44 PM

Never!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/01/19 11:44 PM

Oh the joys of the great outdoors. banana
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 12:12 AM

I dunno. Bad trips make great stories and better memories.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
Never!

[Linked Image]

someone was gone on lugnut day roflmao
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by rogerh
Never!

[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, we walked the road and found all four lug nuts and were able to get them back on (extra tight).
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
X2 on bleeding. This weekend I stabbed my finger with a screwdriver, several cuts from barb wire and stabbed by multiple mesquite thorns. The mesquite thorns suck.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

My finger still hurts 10 months after trying to cut it off when a 12v feeder went off while I was touching the spinner plate. Lesson learned to unplug the motor before touching anything on a feeder after a trip to the minor emergency clinic......I would never have imagined how fast those things spin.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 01:55 AM

This thread is like your writing it for me, lol. I call these challenges the "tolls" that are charged for fun times........ whip cheers
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 05:43 AM

Like when my buddy chopped the end of his finger off a few weeks ago with my mower!! eek2 Still got the feeder filled before 2 hour drive to the ER. up

The frozen water pipe that burst sucks but usually a once a year fix because someone didn't turn the pump off or bleed the lines.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 08:19 AM

And then it rained all night. Woke up in a swamp. Kinda disappointed in the 4X4 performance, it never failed me before.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 09:21 AM

Never!

[Linked Image]

If you got a torque wrench put em on 25 ft lbs.
Ask me how i know..lol, had a similar thing happen with mine
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 01:05 PM

While things do sometimes go wrong, many times my projects work out better at the lease than they do at home. Maybe it's because I don't feel pressured to make it work and look more perfect like I do when working on something at home.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Never!

[Linked Image]

If you got a torque wrench put em on 25 ft lbs.
Ask me how i know..lol, had a similar thing happen with mine

Hey! You lost something!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 02:04 PM

I must be one adventurous individual then. lol
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/02/19 03:42 PM

Knocked a track off the dozer.

Rats ate the fuel shut off solenoid wire on dozer with the bucket down and side covers on. Cant get to the wiring you need to fix with the covers on can get the covers off with the bucket down lol.

Go to shred roads and senderos and tractor is loosing power, take off the fuel cap and look down into the tank and see algae floating around eek2

Tractor starter wont work, try to pull start it and stick the truck in the sand pulling the broke down tractor cry

Last year the power went out at the place for a long time had 2 fridge/freezers that went rancid, one in the camp house that never came back on.

Pressure pump that feeds the camp house died last time, had to cobble together some old water hoses to reach from the well straight to the camp and didn't have the proper fittings so ended up putting two female ends on the hose one at the hose bib at the well and the other to the drain on the water heater which we left open to get water into the cabin. lol some southern engineering if I ever saw it.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/03/19 04:33 AM

Bad days at the ranch/lease.......................that's what beer is for!!!

I've been trying to remember t posts to stake both my box blinds down with for about the last 10 trips. Its not that I forget to buy T post, its just I don't remember. Along with most everything else I need to do.

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/03/19 05:23 AM

Almost a year ago I am at buddies ranch. Just two of us to shoot guns and drink some beer and going to be hottest day of the year, 103 or so. By lunch we notice house isn't getting any cooler, just warmer. Compressor isn't kicking on. He calls an AC guy who is 60 miles away and still has a job left. We try the styrofoam swamp ice cooler we use in the blind but at 90 degrees we abandoned the house for barn. Guy and his young daughter who was learning to drive showed up few hours later. He said it was good highway and rural road experience for her. I joked we should have just kicked it. Well turned out that would have fixed it. Ants got in the capacitor connections! $90 to blow them out thank you... Dude lived in Weatherford and does rural work on weekends since those guys don't work then normally and he can drive a long way and charge a premium. Guy was in Albany before us. Not sure why I didn't kick it. Works 25% of the time on stuff.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/06/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Almost a year ago I am at buddies ranch. Just two of us to shoot guns and drink some beer and going to be hottest day of the year, 103 or so. By lunch we notice house isn't getting any cooler, just warmer. Compressor isn't kicking on. He calls an AC guy who is 60 miles away and still has a job left. We try the styrofoam swamp ice cooler we use in the blind but at 90 degrees we abandoned the house for barn. Guy and his young daughter who was learning to drive showed up few hours later. He said it was good highway and rural road experience for her. I joked we should have just kicked it. Well turned out that would have fixed it. Ants got in the capacitor connections! $90 to blow them out thank you... Dude lived in Weatherford and does rural work on weekends since those guys don't work then normally and he can drive a long way and charge a premium. Guy was in Albany before us. Not sure why I didn't kick it. Works 25% of the time on stuff.

Kick it, shake it, slap it! Great story smile
Posted By: donswin

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/12/19 12:00 AM

Are things ever supposed to go right? I can't remember a single trip to the lease where I didn't have to fix something.

This spring, I thought I would show off the countryside to some friends from China. When we got there, I cranked up the generator and opened the trailer. Then I taught them to shoot.

Now that they were ready to try a hog, I gave one a ride in my Ranger to the pond where it promptly ran out of gas.

We walked back to camp and hauled a gas can back to the Ranger. Now we were ready to go to the back of the property where we were going to hunt. The Ranger died.

Another (much longer) walk back to camp and got my car to pull the Ranger back to camp where I could load it on the trailer and bring it home.

It started raining.

So I back the trailer up to the Ranger and use the winch to pull it up. The battery died.

I carried a small generator from camp with a battery charger and charge the battery.

Ready now, I tried winching the Ranger up the rest of the way. The winch froze up.

Then I used a come-along to finish pulling the Ranger up on the trailer. It started raining harder.

We loaded the car and pulled the trailer, Ranger and all, through the mud to the front gate.

The drive home was uneventful.

My friends were optimistic about the events. They said they learned how to do many things that they will never use again.

I offered to take one of them on another trip to the country.

They declined the offer.

A new fuel pump revived my Ranger.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/12/19 07:49 PM

We got a saying where we hunt. “Gotta pay your taxes” something is always gonna break and cost you money.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/12/19 08:40 PM

Lease trip = blood, bleeding for me, every trip. Every time.
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/12/19 08:49 PM

Building cottonseed feeders and driving the first tpost with much vigor. Hit the bump on the tpost and whacked myself on top of the head with the tpost driver. I bit my tongue but not off, no broken teeth head bleeding like crazy. We are an hour from a medical facility and thank God I didn’t need stitches. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/12/19 09:06 PM

You win!

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/12/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ccrock
Building cottonseed feeders and driving the first tpost with much vigor. Hit the bump on the tpost and whacked myself on top of the head with the tpost driver. I bit my tongue but not off, no broken teeth head bleeding like crazy. We are an hour from a medical facility and thank God I didn’t need stitches. [Linked Image]

Seen that before and it sucks. This is what a finger looks like after a 12v spinner plate goes off unexpectedly (glued back together at this point)

[Linked Image]

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/13/19 12:26 AM

Same here. I hate when I have to trim Mesquite trees. I always end up sticking my hand or fingers with the thorns.

Originally Posted by jakebunch
Lease trip = blood, bleeding for me, every trip. Every time.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/13/19 12:55 AM

My brother jokes that "ranch" is an old Indian work for "something is broke"
I think this can be applied to "deer lease"
A weekend is always full of chores, and a list for next time.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/13/19 02:34 AM

My dad used to say that we weren't working at the lease until someone was bleeding.

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/13/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scott W
My dad used to say that we weren't working at the lease until someone was bleeding.

I love it. My wife never could understand how when I returned from a lease trip why I was bruised, bloody and completely wiped out. We sent the kids to the grandparents and I took her for a work weekend with just her and I. After building 2 feeder pens, setting up two feeders, setting up and hauling 300 gallons of water for a water station on top of putting out 3/4 ton of feed she finally understood. I haven’t heard a word about me being tired when I get home since then.

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/13/19 05:54 AM

Last Sunday, buddy didn't lock the tongue on the ball. Drove his atv on the trailer and it popped off and smashed my license plate... He walked in and said he made my truck look like a real truck now... I scratched his trailer making it look like a real trailer... grin
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Murphy’s Law at the Deer lease - 07/13/19 09:53 PM

That looks more painful than beating myself in the head with the tpost driver.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum