Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Store Must Haves

Posted By: RWHunting

Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/28/19 08:24 PM

As many of you know, I manufacture and sell deer feeders and custom blinds. I am now trying to branch into retail sales also at my shop and online. What are some must haves at a small hunting store just starting out?
Ive already got

Deer Feeders and accessories
Trail Cameras and accessories
T-Mate Trail Camera Mounts
Sniper Hog Lights
Red Arrow Scents

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/28/19 08:30 PM

Also have deer corn and paracord duck call lanyards.

Some things Im considering, but trying to decide what customers want

Black Gold Hog Attractant
The Finisher Duck Tool
Buck Candy
Scent Blaster
Echo Calls
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/28/19 08:54 PM

Guess first thing would be "who" are the type of hunters are your market?

Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/28/19 09:16 PM

Ammuniton if legal. Maybe a smaller line of camo. hand warmers, good socks, tinks 69 doe pee
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/28/19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
Ammuniton if legal. Maybe a smaller line of camo. hand warmers, good socks, tinks 69 doe pee

Agreed, ammo, gloves, winter hats, maybe even phone chargers and such. I'm thinking of things frequently forgotten. Suppose that depends on your location too.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/28/19 10:45 PM

Flashlights and the like.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/29/19 05:44 PM

Can you sell hunting licenses? Ice and coolers.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/29/19 11:35 PM

who are your competitors in your area, try to find items that hunters want or need that big box stores don't carry, its tough to compete against big boys, customer service is your best seller.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/29/19 11:55 PM

Feeder batteries, if you dont already.
Maybe skinning knives or field dressing supplies.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/30/19 12:59 AM

Are you in a good retail location? Or will this be mostly for Online sales and customers of your blinds and feeders?
Posted By: JCB

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 06/30/19 01:27 AM

WASP SPRAY!!!!!!!!!
Foggers, moth balls, ice.

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/01/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Are you in a good retail location? Or will this be mostly for Online sales and customers of your blinds and feeders?

For now it will be online and for people already there to look at or buy feeders and blinds
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/01/19 05:55 PM

With only an Online store, you would have a hard time competing with the larger outfits. I would stick to basic stuff that goes with the blinds and feeders. For feeders, batteries is about it. For blinds? That is a tough one, but years ago I found a camera mount, I lived that thing, I mounted a cheap point and shot camera on it, in one of the windows facing the feeder, never had to dig for the camera, because it was the first thing I installed in the mornings. If I remember correctly it was a video cam mount, that was for security cams. Small heaters for at point of sale along with propane.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/01/19 07:34 PM

I think it would just be tough to compete with Amazon these days except for the feeders, blinds, and corn. Good luck though up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/01/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by RWHunting
As many of you know, I manufacture and sell deer feeders and custom blinds. I am now trying to branch into retail sales also at my shop and online. What are some must haves at a small hunting store just starting out?
Ive already got

Sniper Hog Lights
Red Arrow Scents

Amazon proof products/services that are last minute, Academy’s credit was just down graded and Buccee’s is expanding. What does Buccees carry and why, is a better question
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/02/19 02:12 AM

!2v and 6v feeder batteries
solar panels
timers
ice and corn are good suggestions
thermacells
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/02/19 03:02 AM

Junk food and fountain drinks would be killer. Always great if you can swing by a store nearby in the afternoon after hunting all morning, grab some fountain drinks and chips or etc.

Really awesome when you have kids. Nothing hits the spot like a ice cold fountain drink. Gotta make it a good time for everyone!
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/02/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
I think it would just be tough to compete with Amazon these days except for the feeders, blinds, and corn. Good luck though up

It's about location and convenience to the hunter.

Best things for a store like that is anything a hunter might lose, forget, or require regular replacement and of course pogie bait.
Posted By: hornetfan63

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/02/19 03:26 AM

Corn
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/02/19 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Ive already got

Sniper Hog Lights
Red Arrow Scents

Amazon proof products/services that are last minute, Academy’s credit was just down graded and Buccee’s is expanding. What does Buccees carry and why, is a better question

curious, what is Academy's credit down graded?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/03/19 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by colt45
Ive already got

Sniper Hog Lights
Red Arrow Scents

Lower cash flow based on current inventory maybe? They built a giant store in Dallas. Right by me. Haven't been there in months... Sorry but goong to Foot Locker or Dicks is a way better shoe experience. They need to fix the shoe section. Carry 100s and can't find rubber boots in most common size...
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/09/19 09:43 PM

The last post hit my one addition...mud boots in the $15-25 range, forgot the good ones at home or unexpected weather...either way a $20 bill to avoid wet feet for the weekend...
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/09/19 09:57 PM

guns and ammo!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 01:46 PM

Corn and protein
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RANGERRONG
guns and ammo!

At reasonable prices. I don't pay $200 extra just for the pleasure of supporting a LGS.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 01:56 PM

Ice
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 03:04 PM

Cold beer!!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 04:14 PM

surprised no one mentioned condoms bolt ... but they come in very useful over the end of a barrel during rainy hunts outside of a blind ...
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 06:05 PM

Has a lot to do with geographical location. I looked you're in Quinlan. Take a stroll through native off 276 those guys have don't pretty good. I'd suggest finding a good bow tech. I live 2 hours from Canton and still drive down there to have my bow worked on. Lots of waterfowl hunters in East Texas and no place to buy good equipment. Yes you can go I to academy and get a 25 dollar call some cheap waders and decoys but that's about it
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
Ive already got

Sniper Hog Lights
Red Arrow Scents

Online market place competition, brick and mortar is dieing unless they have a sound online plan
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/10/19 06:43 PM

Academy has been going downhill since they sold out. I still go there, as it is close to work. But I do miss the rod riots and worm bars.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/11/19 01:31 PM

Cheap ammo. Even if you sell it at break even pricing for you, it'll get people in the door. Hopes are they'll buy a few higher GM% items while they're in there picking up ammo. But I am no retail genius either.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/11/19 03:50 PM

At least a few boxes of .22 long rifle, .243, 30-30, .308, and 30-06 ammo.
Yes, I'm an old timer so rock on!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/11/19 03:57 PM

This is all you need!

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/11/19 06:15 PM

I don't usually buy a feeder or a blind on the way to hunt, so all the last minute "I forgot at home" hunting stuff is lost on me. Anyone driving an hour or more is gonna' go by a WalMart, unless they're heading to El Paso. When I do pick up or move feeders and stands it's usually hotter'n hell. I would suggest beer and bottled water. I have no idea what a liquor license costs but I'm pretty sure it's not cheap. So that leaves bottled water and soft drinks. Next best thing is ice. If you can swing a big commercial ice machine to fill coolers that'd be cool. There's a tractor store near me that has had a sign out since the day they opened. "Free Ice!!! Come On In!". No telling how many units they've sold or leased by giving away ice. Rule #1....get them in the door. Best of luck to you sir! Living the American Dream!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/11/19 08:05 PM

although I agree with slow drifter in most cases, sometimes locations are remote enough that there isn't a handy Walmart/Academy type store around and a local hunting store might be all that's available. I agree I don't typically buy a blind or feeder on my way to hunt, but there have been several occasions at both my Ozona and Fairfield leases that I got there to find something broken or damaged where I need to run to town to buy something to repair if I don't have with me. Feeder parts are the most common, spinner plate, brackets to hold motor box on, coon cages, 6vdc/12vdc batteries, timers, solar panels (coons seem to love these along with wiring), barrel lids, self tapping screws, etc. I know that when I am remote like those locations, if I need something, so be it and I don't gripe about the cost if it is something I have to have that can't wait until the next trip. There is a hardware store in Ozona that has everything as does Caps in Fairfield. I actually prefer to shop at those local shops within reason of pricing. Part of the reason I buy corn at Brown in Lampasas is their corn is usually $2-3+/bag cheaper than in Ozona and when buying 30-40 bags, that easily covers the cost of the little bit extra drive.
Posted By: Shortya

Re: Hunting Store Must Haves - 07/23/19 09:17 PM

Miscellaneous electrical parts - wire, wire nuts, alligator clips, etc......always needing a repair on feeder/solar panel due to coons. I now carry a "feeder bag" with me all of the time with wire and all sorts of connectors, tape, etc....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum