Texas Hunting Forum

Did someone already mention that Google Maps...

Posted By: Texas Dan

Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 12:18 PM

...appears to have updated images? Not sure if the image dates are shown somewhere, but I would bet the current images of the area where I hunt in East Texas were taken this past winter. Unlike past images that showed things that no longer exist, current objects and equipment appear where they should. The tall, north leaning shadows and bare trees makes it appear that images were taken last winter.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 12:41 PM

I believe they update different areas at different times. My home area is 5+ years old and Val Verde ranch is 3+ old
Posted By: GLC

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 01:05 PM

Area that we had hunted for the past 5 years never had an update in north east Texas.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 01:06 PM

The area in Fairfield we hunt it still at least 2+ years old.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 01:08 PM

Our area was about 5 years old till recently they updated it.
Posted By: PropaneMan

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 01:14 PM

The Google Earth images of my lease in Cass County was updated on March 16, 2019. Terrific timing after not having been updated for about 5 years, as my landowner had just had the place clear cut in late Feb/early March. It's really helpful to see what the place looks like now without me even having to make the drive down there to check it out.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 01:15 PM

I am pretty sure they steadily update google maps on a constant and ongoing basis. I imagine they get the images every time the opportunity comes to get one. Moving satellites cost a whole lot of money, but they also don't stay perfectly still oriented to the same spot in orbit. So it gets updated as the images come. This is just a guess of course.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 02:20 PM

I just saw two Google camera cars driving around Granbury last week but street view at my house is still at least six years old.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 02:23 PM

I found this image of an area a farmer created. When you zoom in, the letters are made by trees so it must have been like this for decades or taken him decades to do this. Anyone know anything about this? It's located just north of Smithville and is bigger than the town of Smithville.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scott W
I found this image of an area a farmer created. When you zoom in, the letters are made by trees so it must have been like this for decades or taken him decades to do this. Anyone know anything about this? It's located just north of Smithville and is bigger than the town of Smithville.

[Linked Image]

scratch looks like them thar jumbled letters they have ya type confused2 see if ya b's a robot... Man been doing stuff like dat 4 ever...

Looks like : LUECKE...
coolpics

back as many posted. They update , think if ya send few bucks they will swing by...

scratch Did i ever tells ya bout the time they flew by me house ?
They got a pic of uranis ... got pic in mail intittled:
Fly by mooning...
flag
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 03:28 PM

Streetview chose to drive by my son's house when his uber-liberal wife had all her Beto signs in the yard. bang
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
...appears to have updated images? Not sure if the image dates are shown somewhere, but I would bet the current images of the area where I hunt in East Texas were taken this past winter. Unlike past images that showed things that no longer exist, current objects and equipment appear where they should. The tall, north leaning shadows and bare trees makes it appear that images were taken last winter.

Google updates their images when they get new image information. When the oil boom hit north Texas in my area a few years ago, everything updated multiple times in my area. I am not certain that there is a correlation between the oil boom and the images, but believe there may be.

If you have a computer (not phone) version of Google Earth, there is an icon in the upper left corner that will not only get you the date of the image, but let you see the same area over time through whatever other images they have for that spot.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Streetview chose to drive by my son's house when his uber-liberal wife had all her Beto signs in the yard. bang

Ouch!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/11/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Grizz

Ouch!

You can always pull it up every once in a while and show it to her then laugh and walk off...…. rofl
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 12:35 AM

Our street view is at least 5 years old.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 12:51 AM

Maybe next time around there will be a "Bernie" sign. crazy
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

Don't think you boys are helping .
Posted By: rickym

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 12:16 PM

The picture of our place near linden was taken st Patrick’s day weekend.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 12:57 PM

The Nocona area was updated in the past few months.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 01:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Here is some info
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/giant-luecke-signature
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 01:53 PM

Pics here are several years old still
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill

Yep! We have water again and camp is correct finally!
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/12/19 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by Red Pill

Yep! We have water again and camp is correct finally!

About all you can see on my place is that the owner's trailer is no longer there. If you look VERY closely, you can see the shadow of my feeder and my tower stand.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/13/19 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Grizz

Ouch!

You can always pull it up every once in a while and show it to her then laugh and walk off...…. rofl

Attached picture Liberal.jpg
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/13/19 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by MClark

[Linked Image]

Here is some info
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/giant-luecke-signature

Thanks for finding that! I'm meeting my in,was nearby Friday to get my kids back, will be telling the story and trying to drive close to it!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/13/19 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by llbts1
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

Don't think you boys are helping .

Was that an objective???? clap clap
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/13/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Images of lease in Erath County about 5 years old
Images of farm in Franklin County are only a few months old
Posted By: ELKMTB

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/13/19 07:44 PM

weather app shows updated maps, but google maps are several years old
Posted By: Beagledad

Re: Did someone already mention that Google Maps... - 06/13/19 08:21 PM

They need to hook in with our Tax Assessor/Collector's office for their updates...……..Them suns a guns are pretty on spot! Just add something to your land and wait to see how quick they send you a note with their hand out for the taxes hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum