Texas Hunting Forum

Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 03:43 PM

I hunt with thermal. Thermal offers some challenges to target identification that are different and sometimes more difficult than hunting with a daylight scope. This hunter claimed he thought he was shooting at a deer. The target in question was a 75 year old jogger. The prosecutor says that from the video, it is obvious that the guy was shooting at a human. From the video shown, that he was shooting at a human is NOT obvious, but then again, it isn't obviously any animal. It certainly could be a human, or an animal with a quartered-toward approach. I could see where the hunter could not tell that was a human (from the short video shown) but there is no way in hell that he could identify it as a deer.

On top of that, the guy is shooting toward buildings that are the backdrop to the "deer" he was trying to kill. He was hunting with illegal ammo, illegally hunting at night, and with a scope for which he didn't have permission to use for hunting. Everything about this shot is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Care must be taken when identifying targets with thermal. The scope in question appears to be a Pulsar Trail. Assuming it is on native magnification, it should be the XP50 model. It could be the XP38 zoomed from 1.2x to 1.6x, but I doubt it.

You can ethically hunt with thermal and properly identify targets with thermal. This target obviously was not properly identified and based on the video shared, cannot be identified as the target the shooter claimed he thought it was.

http://www.ladbible.com/news/weird-...-a-75-year-old-jogger-in-sweden-20190326
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 03:49 PM

Surely they will at least convict him on something like our equivalent of manslaugter.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 04:15 PM

Just a matter of time before some idiot uses thermal on a shooting spree and the dems try to ban it because it’s to militaristic
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Surely they will at least convict him on something like our equivalent of manslaugter.

X2
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 04:20 PM

Regardless of what they get him on they should get him. I won't pretend to know anything about Sweden's laws but I'll bet they have some equivalent of a felony and he has committed at least 1.
I wonder what ammo it was that was illegal, hopefully FMJ as this would have done the least amount of damage to Grandpa.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 04:40 PM

bang
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:05 PM

Wow, just wow. As DNS mentioned, so many things wrong with this shot it isn't funny. A very careless, wreckless hunter.

I didn't get any video to feed so I only saw still photos from the video, but there is no way to ID anything in that phot other than "something" is out there. Video would give a much better picture of how the person was jogging/walking and would clearly show an upright two legged animal vs a bent over 4 legged animal.

This guy gives us a bad name in a bad way trout
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:21 PM

Lets just say that this really truly was mistaken identity. That hunter was breaking so many rules of common sense...not to mention some laws...that he ought to get the book thrown at him. I mean really....
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:25 PM

Yeah, lets just assume for a second it was really a deer he was shooting at....still illegal there to shoot deer at night. Not to mention the illegal ammo (? no details) and the shooting with those buildings behind, etc...stupid is as stupid does.

I have heard of people being hit by the ugly stick, this guy was hit with the stupid stick
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:28 PM

Only an idiot pulls the trigger without first being absolutely sure of his/her target.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:49 PM

Looked like a Sasquatch maybe. Very human-like characteristics.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:52 PM

Stop calling this guy a hunter. He's not one of us. He's a poacher.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 05:58 PM

I see a murder IMO. No way that's not walking upright with a human gait.

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 06:05 PM

LOL, poaching is just illegal taking of game. You have trappers, hunters, fisherfolk that all do it. He is still a hunter, legal or not.

I see a murder IMO.

Nobody died so there was no murder. By Swedish law, it would have to be planned in advance and the victim to have died for it to be murder. Without being able to prove planning, had Olle died, then by their law it could have been manslaughter or negligent homicide.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 06:25 PM

Throw the dang book at this guy. Wayyyy too many red flags.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 07:13 PM

He should lose his hunting and firearm ownership rights, clearly too f'in stupid to do either.

There was that time back home in La. someone shot a guy out of a tree stand thinking he was a bear and the bear was smoking a cigarette. We call them couyon's back home...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 07:20 PM

At best this guy is a complete moron.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
At best this guy is a complete moron.

up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 08:50 PM

Why would a jogger Be using a thermal while jogging
Posted By: P_102

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 08:55 PM

Definitely upright, 2 legged.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/26/19 08:56 PM

Those laws in Europe for hunting are significantly different than the ones here in the United States. You are allowed to hunt at night. The illegal ammunition may have been ammunition that he had intended to shoot foxes with but it was not considered powerful enough by the law to shoot a deer with. They also made the statement that he required permission to hunt foxes with a thermal imaging sight but they left out that you do not need permission to hunt deer with one.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/27/19 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

LOL, poaching is just illegal taking of game. You have trappers, hunters, fisherfolk that all do it. He is still a hunter, legal or not.

I see a murder IMO.

Nobody died so there was no murder. By Swedish law, it would have to be planned in advance and the victim to have died for it to be murder. Without being able to prove planning, had Olle died, then by their law it could have been manslaughter or negligent homicide.

Shooting deer at night with a thermal in a place you don't have permission to be with illegal ammo... yeah, that qualifies as poaching. This guy is no hunter
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/27/19 11:17 AM

Unbelievable
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/27/19 12:23 PM

Yeah I definitely see a person there.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/27/19 02:25 PM

Bottom line: you are responsible for where the bullet ends up. Be sure of your target and what’s behind it.

On top of that safety violation, the guy broke several laws. He is an idiot.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/27/19 03:39 PM

There was zero legal about the whole situation. Geez. At night for one thing! Give him the chair.

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/27/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
There was zero legal about the whole situation. Geez. At night for one thing! Give him the chair.

They don't do that in Sweden. They don't execute people who actually commit murder. In some cases, actual murders may only get 10-18 years.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/28/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Bottom line: you are responsible for where the bullet ends up. Be sure of your target and what’s behind it.

On top of that safety violation, the guy broke several laws. He is an idiot.

[quote=Duck_Hunter]Bottom line: you are responsible for where the bullet ends up. Be sure of your target and what’s behind it.

On top of that safety violation, the guy broke several laws. He is an idiot. [/quote

The house behind his target certainly shows gross negligence on the part of the shooter.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/30/19 12:55 AM

He should be charged with Homicide. If he is that stupid, he does not need to be out utilizing firearms.

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/30/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by crash700
He should be charged with Homicide. If he is that stupid, he does not need to be out utilizing firearms.

Why would you charge him with a crime he did not commit?
Posted By: Western

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/30/19 02:30 PM

As you fellas said, all kinds of "wrong" going on and the "gait" and movement of the "object" appears human in heavy clothing to me, enough so I wouldn't have even had my trigger finger rtg based on that footage.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 03/30/19 05:35 PM

All too often we hear of death or sever injury due to hunters shooting at targets that they are not 100% certain of, be careful out there guys.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 04/03/19 04:06 AM

No way that image looks like any animal.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 04/03/19 04:23 AM

Ive seen the full video on another site. Almost immediately after the shot, the shooter gets up and runs in the opposite direction. So either he knew what he was doing and was trying to hide or he “accidently” shot someone and then ran away like a scared biotch when he rwalized what happened. Either way, piece of garbage that should spend a lonnng time in jail.

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 04/03/19 09:58 PM

Where did you see the whole video? Given that the victim screamed after being shot, that he ran isn't a surprise.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 04/03/19 10:29 PM

I don't use thermal, and I never shoot unless I'm 1000% sure of my target and background.

So, the lesson I'm taking from this is DON'T JOG.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hunter Shoots Jogger Using Thermal Optic - 04/03/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ErnestTBass
So, the lesson I'm taking from this is DON'T JOG.

Exactly. Your knees will thank you later on.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum