Texas Hunting Forum

What do you do in the "quiet" season?

Posted By: Tundraboy

What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 01:19 PM

I guess I chose the wrong time of year to start getting back into hunting. Seems a lot of the public land around DFW doesn't permit even varmint hunting at this time and through the summer. So what do you guys do to keep yourselves amused and your aim in? Private land? Lease? Looking for suggestions as well. I want to get trained up for the fall season and don't want to start it cold! (no pun intended)
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 01:39 PM

At least one trip to the range every month to satisfy my desire and pure joy in shooting. Sometimes I'll take a rifle, sometimes a handgun, and sometimes both.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 01:44 PM

There is no quiet season here. I hunt private land so there are pigs and varmints to be killed year round. Plus there is always work to do to better the deer herd. Feed protein, plant food plots, spray mesquites, tend to blinds, there is always work to be done. And bass fishing is about to get hot so get your pole ready to rip some lips, there is a lot of fishing around DFW.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 01:57 PM

My “downtime” consists of the items below.

1) Repair or replace any damaged hunting clothing. I get quite a rips and tears. Thankfully my mother-in-law sews them up for me, at least for those items that can be repaired.
2) Replace gear that failed to live up to expectations.
3) Relatively frequent trips to the range to work on fundamentals. The rimfires get the bulk of the work due to cost; however, the centerfires do get their share of quality time.
4) Go glassing for animals at least monthly. For me glassing skills are just as, if not more, important than shooting skills. You cannot shoot what you cannot find.
5) Get into even better hunting shape.
6) Hunt for any legal game I can within a few hours of my house.
7) Identify what I can do better. Or in some cases, try to figure out where the hell the animals went (were there 2 weeks before season).
8) Spend so much time with the wife that she’s ready to get rid of me during the fall hunting season.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 02:13 PM

Hogs and coyotes all year.

I got quite happy a few days ago, seeing a four legged body in the pasture, standing frozen. I thought "alright we are starting the day with a coyote down". Got glass on it, and it was a doe. Dangit! Went on with my day.

I shoot the rifles 52 weeks a year, as well I should. That equates to there ALWAYS being brass to prep, and ammo to load.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 02:42 PM

.22CB shorts and squirrels in the back yard.
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
.22CB shorts and squirrels in the back yard.

This, you are not the only one.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 04:50 PM

Make hunting related items.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 04:53 PM

Continue hunting, shooting (lots and lots of shooting) and reloading.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 05:39 PM

Not thinking about hunting or shooting much this time of year. I'm a bass fisherman and spend as much time as allowed on the lake. If I do decide to shoot, I have a 300 yard range out my front door. If I decided to shoot some hogs I have a feeder 175 yards from my house.
Posted By: helomech

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 05:56 PM

Working around my property, gardening, lots of shooting, and killing every predator I can get my sights on.
Posted By: don k

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 06:12 PM

Same as I do any other time. Work work work
Posted By: GLC

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 06:32 PM

No quiet season, projects I put off during hunting season, I now have to get done. Finish my pipe fence around property, my shop, build a deck on the house, enclose the patio, etc. And still work on the deer lease during off season.
What Quiet Time? confused2
Posted By: HuntersAnonymous41

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 06:43 PM

Well spring turkey is a few days away so depending on your zone you have that going for you. I hunt private land between Texas and back home in Louisiana; varmint all year round. Beyond that, saving money, going to the range as much as i can, and putting as much time in with the significant other as I can to be in god standing come season. Oh and run my dogs, or they run me so we am in good shape come season.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 07:18 PM

I was always having to fix something or building something for our place.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 07:59 PM

Fish..
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 10:22 PM

Crappie fish, check and fill feeders, hunt coyotes and pigs, yard work, etc...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 10:23 PM

I'm hunting and shooting year round......until it gets really hot....I'll take a small break and right back at it.

Always improvements to be made or new things to learn where I hunt.........and get some fishing in too.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 10:33 PM

An air rifle keeps me sharp. I can shoot it in the house if I have to. I gotta shoot or I will go mad.

Other than that, i fish, I go to six flags, watch tv, give my wife a hard time about stuff to pay her back for giving me a hard time about something or other. Work out. Same stuff everybody else does
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/14/19 11:37 PM

Getting boat ready now for the Laguna then fish !!!!

Food plots next month milo, peas, radishes etc!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog and coyote hunting

the fish again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/15/19 12:01 AM

As most of ya'll have said there really is no quiet season.

I shoot about once a week all year round, always a rifle/shotgun/handgun to sight-in/pattern/tweak, always testing the next great bullet, always loading ammunition. Great to see most of ya'll shooting year round.

And then there is spring food plots and thinning varmints.

As far as seasons go, there aren't four seasons there are two...deer season and just before deer season.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/15/19 02:40 AM

Fish and golf, in no particular order. Skeet/trap shooting with my wife when she wants to. Camp and hike, if we pla it out somewhere that’s not 9,000 degrees and totally flat. Beach vacation and home projects.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/15/19 03:56 AM

I don’t do much off season hunting, but depending on the year my big game season can start in mid August and runs thru mid January, so it’s nice to have a reprieve at the end.

Off season I am on one ranch or another 3-5 days a week, so I get my country fix from that. Occasionally I will shoot a pig or other critter when the opportunity presents itself but I’m not out hunting them.

I keep up the feeders at the lease and the protein full and leave it at that. This year I may try and get on an axis there but when I think about it I just don’t get all that fired up. Maybe I could go after it with a bow to spice it up
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/15/19 12:06 PM

No noise colibri 22 in the back yard. Get back to the ponds and the fish. Build and fill some new pipe feeders. Check game cams to try to identify the poacher(s) who enjoy my land as much as I do
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/15/19 04:57 PM

Go fishing.

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/17/19 02:27 PM

Went to the drag races last night to watch the boy's dad. That is always agreat time.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/18/19 03:19 AM

There is no quiet season. May be a month or so from end of hunting season and it is still too cold to fish. But you can chase hogs squirrels rabbits. Then after a short break the fish bite that should keep you busy till dove season.

Me and my brother in law whooped 45 crappie today after church. [Linked Image]
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 03/19/19 01:06 AM

Between mid March and early September- Top of my list: Figuring out how to NOT get on my wife’s bad side (so I can do other things). In other times- going to the range to shoot rifles / pistols; practice with my crossbow; discard / replace / repair hunting items; figure out how I can redo / request my work schedule so I can put holes in Texas hogs (or ANYTHING) until deer season reopens here. Then: REPEAT!!!!!

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/01/19 02:50 AM

If I am being real honest, hunting season is more of the quiet season to me than the springtime when the fish are biting good. Seems like every day after work I have been blessed with a couple of slabs or some nice sandbass. I can't just run down the street and do some hunting after work. But I sure can run downthe streer to the creek and catch some fish.

Here are some pictures of what the Lord has blessed me with this past tues, weds, and thurs after work. I can't go home and see my family every day but I can make the best of it and I do!

Attached picture C8F24D31-EFCC-4FC4-9487-05F9910B0C06.jpeg
Attached picture 5A8C8D87-8DDF-4F4E-A2D0-BF72053DBDD4.jpeg
Attached picture E6924910-C349-4F2E-812D-0DF3E7E5078A.jpeg

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/01/19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
There is no quiet season. May be a month or so from end of hunting season and it is still too cold to fish. But you can chase hogs squirrels rabbits. Then after a short break the fish bite that should keep you busy till dove season.

What a haul!
Posted By: wp75169

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/01/19 12:38 PM

Hogs at home. Headed to the lease tomorrow with a couple of friends. We will clean up camp and see how much pistol shooting we can do. I’m going to figure out exactly how much time the Dutch oven needs to properly cook potatoes and onions over the fire. Rib-Eye over pecan fire. Asparagus and mushrooms on the cast iron griddle.

Or drink too much and have Dinty Moore beef stew in the microwave. Whatever.

There’s always pigs to kill. Pigs in the back yard, pigs at the lease.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/01/19 04:01 PM

We make a lot more noise in the off season than hunting season. Mainly try to get as much blind, feeder, road, foodplot, camp maintenance done as we can. Also like to wet a line, loaded up a few blues.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/01/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass

That's what I'm talking about up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/01/19 11:49 PM

Still fixing post hurricane stuff. I must say my outsourcing is looking good
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/02/19 01:34 AM

I have weekend appointments with MR GRAY you know. THE TAXMAN. He takes a bite outta everybody if he can.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/02/19 02:13 AM

Wore them out today after work. Bank fishing. Today we were Blessed by the Lord!

Attached picture CB2C8CBF-6D60-4C8B-BD15-CFCDBB119B3B.jpeg
Attached picture 22EBEEF1-148E-4F11-981D-90F0F35FC5CE.jpeg
Attached picture ACECF345-0327-4DE9-A532-97B75A7370D1.jpeg
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/04/19 01:16 AM

Now that I have a monday through friday job, since harvey, I guess I fish every weekend. However I really dont fish much because I am a fishing guide and I take other people fishing so it is really work. So I am not fun fishing. After 10 years of full time guiding fun fishing isn't for me anymore. I am fished out. My handicap is about a 6 so I do hit that little ball in to the hole quite often and go to the course on every chance I get. I do try to go to the gun range at least once a month if I can.

I sure do hate Houston from May till September!!!! Come on October. The countdown begins soon![Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/04/19 01:22 AM

Mor [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
e pics to enjoy. None of them are me just customers.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/04/19 02:27 PM

We have hay meadows to irrigate, antlers to find and trout to catch.
We're always ready for a wolf encounter as well, predator zone here.
We have a 1 acre lot in the forest we're clearing some trees on and getting set up for a perhaps a small cabin.

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/07/19 04:39 AM

As much as I like catching them, this is the best part smile

Been blessed this last couple weeks, to limit on possesion for crappies. I have never been good at catching crappie, never would imagine I would limit on them in 2-3 days just fishing from the bank after work. II was actuallt trying to get some sandbass. But I'd rather have the crappies to be honest!

I got a few sandies too, in the tributaries, but all males around 12 inches max. Looks like the sandbass run is a little behind schedule, but these post spawn crappies are still in the creeks and they are hungry. A 1/4 (not a typo) oz beetle spin, catching a crappie every 3rd cast or so from the bank in 2-3 feet of water. Almost get a daily bag in ine spot in the creek, in 3-4 feet of water, on a creek no more than maybe 10 meters across the widest part. I have never seen anything like it in my life. So it's a blessing for sure!

Anyway back to that best part I was talking about. Here are some crappies and french fries. This plate probably cost me about $2 including the lure I caught these on so less than that. And you can't eat better for 10 times the price!

Attached picture 2BA42163-A6E5-437B-A221-2CEBCC19EA2F.jpeg
Posted By: redhaze

Re: What do you do in the "quiet" season? - 04/07/19 10:55 AM

Golfing and Range time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum