Texas Hunting Forum

Mad cow disease in hogs

Posted By: Wilhunt

Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 02:22 AM

Had a neighbor say there was a report of Mad Cow Disease in hogs. Have you heard of this or is it brucelosis -sp- which shows up in many animals.
What say the THF?
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 03:19 AM

My neighbor said he saw Elvis working at the Allsups in Throckmorton.

That’s more likely than hogs gettin the mad cow.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 12:16 PM

Damn that’s funny!!!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 01:44 PM

I say, produce the alleged report. Otherwise, you are wanting us to debate against the claims of someone who isn't even a member here who isn't backing up what is said.

There are some studies from the 1970s that talk about a CNS infection in hogs that has some similar traits to mad cow disease, but appear to be a different disorder all together. Think of it this way. There are a variety of movement disorders in humans that manifest with symptoms similar to Parkenson's, but that are not Parkenson's. Just because they are similar does not mean they are the same.

There is currently no evidence that bovine spongiform encephalitis is showing up in hogs, at least not any showing up after multiple searches. It has been induced in the lab, but not found otherwise.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
My neighbor said he saw Elvis working at the Allsups in Throckmorton.

That’s more likely than hogs gettin the mad cow.

Elvis works at the feed store, not at Allsups. Everyone knows that.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I say, produce the alleged report. Otherwise, you are wanting us to debate against the claims of someone who isn't even a member here who isn't backing up what is said.

There are some studies from the 1970s that talk about a CNS infection in hogs that has some similar traits to mad cow disease, but appear to be a different disorder all together. Think of it this way. There are a variety of movement disorders in humans that manifest with symptoms similar to Parkenson's, but that are not Parkenson's. Just because they are similar does not mean they are the same.

There is currently no evidence that bovine spongiform encephalitis is showing up in hogs, at least not any showing up after multiple searches. It has been induced in the lab, but not found otherwise.

You mean someone has to be a member here before a claim can be debated? I agree Elvis worked at the feed store.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

You mean someone has to be a member here before a claim can be debated? I agree Elvis worked at the feed store.

Well, I would have challenged you to produce the claimed evidence, but I figured you would have already done it if you had actually seen it, right? That your friend has seen a report that appears to exist nowhere else is quite interesting from the notions of hearsay and mythology. I see the OP as being that you heard Chicken Little say the sky was falling. You didn't see the sky was falling and while Chicken Little may be your friend, he doesn't have a lot of credibility and can't be queried given that he isn't even a member here.

However, since you are the OP, produce the report. Then let's debate.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 03:17 PM

I'm with skinner. Mad cow in hogs is not near the top of my fears list. It's hearsay anyway, Elvis.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 03:29 PM

Wouldn't it be called mad sow disease?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Wouldn't it be called mad sow disease?

I see what you did there.
Posted By: txmikenlisa1

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/13/19 03:35 PM

Pigs are actually one of the more prion resistant species. So it would be unlikely. Unfortunately that changes as new prions develop. So I would anticipate at some point mad pig will be a thing.

I've treated a few patients with CJD. It's a terrifying disease.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Mad cow disease in hogs - 03/20/19 05:44 PM

Pigs were experimentally inoculated with BSE in a recent controlled study to see if it was possible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum