Texas Hunting Forum

Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"??

Posted By: Stealthjr

Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:41 AM

The property is in young county and there is so much thicket growing up from the ground and even swallowing large trees in some spots. I just made a clearing with the tractor and there is a ton of thicket vines sticking out of the ground that are just going to be overgrown again in no time if i dont kill them. What can i use to kill these damn thicket vines for good?
Is there anything that will kill the vines and not the trees they are invading as well?

Thanks!

Robert
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:52 AM

In NC they just burn everything. Rains alot more there though.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 04:13 AM

Another question to ask is do you really want to kill it? does it show sign of deer browsing? hard to replace all that green once its gone.

in my experience, glyphosphate will kill just about everything, as long as you are careful to hit the green of the thicket and not the trees, you should get a good kill but not harm the trees. a small dose to most established trees won't kill the tree anyway.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 11:51 AM

Goats or just mowing them kills probably 90% of them. You can use 2-4-D with a lot of surfactant (soap) but it's a hit or miss deal.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 12:31 PM

Take a picture of them and take that to your local County Extension Agent, he can help and make a recommendation..

Roundup or it's generic same most likely will work, but you risk killing to much and wiping out the landscape.
Roundup is what they sprayed in Vietnam to wipe out the forest?

Look at Lowes for brush killer.

Surfactant is a spreader/sticker, it cause the water droplets to spread over the leaves, which causes the water drops to flatten out on the leaves and helps penetration. It does help.

Mowing will not kill as you know. What is growing up into the trees the deer cannot reach, and the thorns hurt their mouth's.
If deer liked it, it would not be there.

Should you have yaupon, Remedy is the answer and you do not have to have a license to buy it.

Goats is not the answer.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly

Roundup is what they sprayed in Vietnam to wipe out the forest?

No. Roundup is not Agent Orange. Roundup is glyphosate based. Agent Orange contains 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and 2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4,5-T).
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 01:23 PM

Remedy, round up is too tame
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster

Yep. Greenbriar is tough. I just leave ours. High in protein and deer browse it heavily.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:02 PM

You need a woody stem herbicide. 24D won't work in this situation & glyphosate won't either. I have found Triclopyr to work best on woody stem vegetation. This stuff will do what you want. Use some sticker spreader (surfactant). Get both at the feed store. Spray from April-July.

https://www.controlsolutionsinc.com...ntrol&cat_2=&cat_3=&id=24046

Be mindful when mixing, briar is some of the hardest stuff to kill in East Texas.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:15 PM

Burn it. Deer love green brier so not sure about that one comment, It is excellent browse for them. The leaves that is, not the thorny vines.

Burning knocks it down a bit but it will come back with better forage for deer.
Posted By: Western

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:46 PM

This 100%, anything else is just screwing around. iirc, mix 1 part remedy to 3 parts diesel, hit the stems and forget the leaves. A good winter trx. I'd spot spray areas and try not to flood the area because of potential damage to other trees/brush, may take a couple trx to get it under control. This is the mix I was given by Texas AM when renovating a new hay field. It takes a few times as the underground root system is extensive
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:56 PM

Yep - Remedy. Feed store or Tractor Supply. Pricey, but with spot spraying, I can get a couple of acres of mesquite sprayed when mixing 1/4 with diesel. And just because leaves turn, doesn't mean plant completely dead. It takes time (months) for the root systems to die. I spray and then let sit for a year or so before knocking trees down.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Western

This 100%, anything else is just screwing around. iirc, mix 1 part remedy to 3 parts diesel, hit the stems and forget the leaves. A good winter trx. I'd spot spray areas and try not to flood the area because of potential damage to other trees/brush, may take a couple trx to get it under control. This is the mix I was given by Texas AM when renovating a new hay field. It takes a few times as the underground root system is extensive

Remedy is a Triclopyr active ingredient same as Clear Pasture and will work great. Round up is a Glyphosate product and won't work good on briar or any woody stem plant (under brush). Diesel is not necessary. Read the label for usage instructions. Diesel will kill what is above ground. The right herbicide used correctly will kill the root and foliage.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 03:01 PM

I've had good luck with Crossbow herbicide. It's a combination of 2,4-D and Triclopyr.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 03:22 PM

Roundup won't work on briar's (Smilax)….Gotta be a broadleaf weed killer...2-4-D
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 03:34 PM

The method I've used that results in the best kill rate is;

Cut off near ground level, you can clip individual stalks with loppers or multiple with hedge trimmers or use a mower /shredder, pull vines from trees/brush, burn piles of cut vines.

When the new growth is 6" to 12" tall, the waxy leaf coating isn't fully developed, herbicides work far better on tender new growth.
Spray new growth with a Triclopyr using a non ionic surfactant. example - Remedy is one based on triclopyr
Even better better results using a Triclopyr & Fluroxypyr mix. example - PastureGuard is one based on trycloyr & fluroxypyr.
Both mixes using a non ionic surfactant .

The kill rate is really good using manual cut, remove, burn, then spray new growth.

Deer eat the leaves they can reach, greenbrier is a high protein native browse.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 08:29 PM

1.5% dicamba and 3% 2, 4 D with diesel.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best poison to kill "thicket/briar"?? - 03/12/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Goats or just mowing them kills probably 90% of them. You can use 2-4-D with a lot of surfactant (soap) but it's a hit or miss deal.

If you have good fences and a water supply, stick a few goats on the place. It will take time, but they will do a better job and you will not be poisoning the ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum