Texas Hunting Forum

Any THFers in San Antone

Posted By: el_cazador713

Any THFers in San Antone - 03/11/19 02:30 AM

Hey guys,

I will be moving to San Antonio soon and looking to see if any others from here live in the San Antonio area. So excited to be closer to prime hunting areas I love to go to. Hit me up as I’d like to bounce ideas off of folks like places to process meat, taxidermists, etc. feel free to shoot me a pm.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/11/19 02:44 AM

Ah, good old San Antonio, where good food and bad politics abound.
Where are you coming from?
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/11/19 03:00 AM

This place has went down hill. I was at the car wash vacuming my truck when I had to fight off an indian cab driver who was trying to take the hose out of my hand, then had to put the forty to the chest of a mexican national who pushed the handicap stall door in on me because he forgot his sunglasses. Stories like this once a week.

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/11/19 03:49 AM

Lol moving from Houston. I think this place is a step in the right direction
Posted By: don k

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/11/19 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by el_cazador713

Depends on what part of SA you are moving to.

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by don k

Depends on what part of SA you are moving to.

Very true.. So no others in the city?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 02:40 AM

I live in Boerne/fair oaks

Just NW of town
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 02:55 AM

^
^
^ I'm a couple miles back towards town from this guy. (Born on the bank of the San Antonio river though, downtown, in the Nix laugh )
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 11:03 AM

I don't know what goes on in San Antonio, just moved a little farther out again, but never had any problems from anyone. All big cities have their share of issues.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 04:17 PM

I live on the southeast side of S.A. most of my 72 years.
I've gotten so used to the gunshots at night and some during the day where it doesn't even bother me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 04:49 PM

Im around san Antonio. Born and raised in Cibolo I now reside between SA and Floresville and work down town.

I would definitely consider SA a step up from H-town but I guess I might be biased. Last time I was in Houston the group next door in my hotel was filming and adult movie lol.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 04:51 PM

4 in a row from the SE side..........if you're buying a house try to stay out of Bexar county....taxes are sky high and rising.....
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by HWY72
4 in a row from the SE side..........if you're buying a house try to stay out of Bexar county....taxes are sky high and rising.....

Didn't know there were that many of us around here.
Posted By: YanceyTX_Hunter

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 07:16 PM

I'm up on the NW side near UTSA... hunt out in Yancey, Texas
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
I live on the southeast side of S.A. most of my 72 years.
I've gotten so used to the gunshots at night and some during the day where it doesn't even bother me.

Where at on the south east side? Both sides of my family were from rigsby and w.w white
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/12/19 10:46 PM

Not San Antonio proper, but I live in New Braunfels and work in SA.
Posted By: Sled2live

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/13/19 02:09 AM

La Vernia, SE of SA towards Floresville
Posted By: erathar

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/13/19 02:22 AM

Further out on the SE side, than the others, but am up that way often.
Posted By: fishingyankee71

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/14/19 11:12 AM

I live north of town in Bulverde. Bulverde Feed and Seed on 281 North for all of my corn, protein, cotton seed, All Seasons Feeders (cheaper than buying directly from All Seasons), etc.....awesome people and I love supporting local, small business. I process all of my own, but have friends that have a lot of meat processing done at Chick's meats on 281 just north of 46 and love some of what they do. I use Double Nickle Taxidermy north of New Braunfels. Again, super friendly local business, do awesome work, and have never taken longer than six months,,,,I've had at least 8 shoulder mounts done and they've sent me emails with pictures at various points throughout the process to show me the progress.

We hunt southeast of Uvalde.

Welcome to the area.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/14/19 12:40 PM

I was born (Santa Rosa) & raised in San Antonio & had a career of 33 yrs there. When I retired, I moved to Lake LBJ, about 80 miles North. After enjoying semi-rural living, I would never go back. I suggest living more in the Boerne direction.

(I do miss the Mexican food though.)
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/14/19 02:13 PM

From SA, live on western edge of Bexar county (far west about 15 mins from Sea World) You’ll enjoy it, less busy than Houston but still has traffic. Definitely depends on where you live, I enjoy living outside 1604, there are shopping areas popping up everywhere which help to ensure you have most of what you want/need close by. I get my meat processed at Schott’s in Helotes or Dzuikz in Castroville.
Posted By: glens

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/15/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
I was born (Santa Rosa) & raised in San Antonio & had a career of 33 yrs there. When I retired, I moved to Lake LBJ, about 80 miles North. After enjoying semi-rural living, I would never go back. I suggest living more in the Boerne direction.

(I do miss the Mexican food though.)
Never lived there but have been down or through many times. Head down every once in a while to get my camper worked on at Stewart Stevenson on West I10. Traffic is getting worse by the day. . I'm a new Kingsland rat myself.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/18/19 08:27 PM

Boerne/Bergheim
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/18/19 11:58 PM

Born and lived in SA most of my life. Live just a bit NE now, in Comal County. Think you will
like it here for the most part. Like other said, depends on what area you move to.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/19/19 01:58 PM

I live in Pipe Creek, which is up by Medina Lake. Lots of people moving to SA.....and half the city is under road construction. Traffic is really starting to become a headache. I also take my game to Schott's in Helotes, they are very good.

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/19/19 04:01 PM

Appreciate all the info guys! Keep it coming
Posted By: GA Dawg

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/19/19 05:28 PM

Live in Boerne. Moved up from SA few years ago. Got lucky, found 10 acres in the middle of larger properties. Quiet neighbors, lots of wildlife, but still have to drive in each day to SA for work.SA is a nice place in my opinion.

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/19/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by GA Dawg
Live in Boerne. Moved up from SA few years ago. Got lucky, found 10 acres in the middle of larger properties. Quiet neighbors, lots of wildlife, but still have to drive in each day to SA for work.SA is a nice place in my opinion.

Well done! up

This is exactly what we're trying to find. Very slim pickin's.
Posted By: GA Dawg

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/19/19 09:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Grand total of "1" properties with a minimum of 10 acres in Boerne in our price range when we were looking. We grabbed it immediately (almost sight unseen) and had people lined up to try to get us to let loose. Nope.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/21/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I live in Boerne/fair oaks

Just NW of town

I am also in Fair Oaks...
Posted By: Maxlab

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/23/19 04:43 PM

Helotes/San Antonio 1604 and Braun. Born and raised here. I have never had a problem anywhere in San Antonio. I love the city.

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/23/19 04:54 PM

This is getting enough response to almost have a get-together...but I'm lazy - I'll buy a round, but I don't want to plan anything. sleep

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/23/19 10:34 PM

I agree Creekrunner! I think I’ll set something up once I get settled. I’m looking to buy near Fair Oaks myself.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/24/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by rob valle
I live in Pipe Creek, which is up by Medina Lake. Lots of people moving to SA.....and half the city is under road construction. Traffic is really starting to become a headache. I also take my game to Schott's in Helotes, they are very good.

I spent 30 years working in Pipe Creek, have lived in Helotes where my wife was born and raised for 35ish years. Amazing how the area has grown.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/24/19 12:54 AM

Hey SA is ok - do not live there but drive through it regularly and wife and I go spend a weekend there several times a year. Like everywhere else in Texas - growing.

With growth comes changes. Been that way since beginning of time lol - adapt and enjoy
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 03/30/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

Hey SA is ok - do not live there but drive through it regularly and wife and I go spend a weekend there several times a year. Like everywhere else in Texas - growing.

With growth comes changes. Been that way since beginning of time lol - adapt and enjoy

I was talking to the wife yesterday on the way back into town on 281 and thinking back on when all the craziness in population exploded.
It was a mere 25 years ago that you could drive past 281 and 1604 and you were out in the sticks. Now that area all the way to 46 is nothing but rooftops and quadruple decked town houses for as far as the eye can see from Borgfeld road in toward 1604.
I actually hunted deer in what is now the heart of Stone Oak, back in the mid to late 80's.
Sad, because that area had some great genetics.
They are continuing to build even as the new road construction is underway and I won't see it completed in my lifetime, but when it is, it will be obsolete, as the subdivisions continue to expand.
Every time I drive through that area I keep asking myself, "where in the heck are all these people coming from?"
Posted By: remingtonTX

Re: Any THFers in San Antone - 04/06/19 12:54 PM

Born and Raised in SATX but as soon as I got some sense I moved out to Boerne.

I'm hopeful this Downtown in SA stuff works. Keep the weirdos in SA and the good folk out here smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum