Texas Hunting Forum

Crockett county or cottle county?

Posted By: kjmsnake

Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 01:52 PM

I am looking to buy some hunting land and I wanted to know which county is better for hunting Crockett or Cottle county?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 01:57 PM

Cottle....

Posted By: kjmsnake

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 02:13 PM

Was wanting a place that I saw good numbers of deer and turkey.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 02:15 PM

Crockett has excellent deer and turkey populations and large ranches. Deer are not huge but better than most of the Hill Country.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 05:56 PM

Crockett for quantity and some quality. Cottle for quality.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 06:41 PM

I'm sure Mulies are found in western Crockett, but I know for a fact they're in Cottle. Rolling plains area is a lot less rocky and rough. Plenty of red talcum dust though. If it was me, I'd pick Cottle. Find a nice place below the caprock with Mulies and WT , water is a must, whether by windmill or creek. Good luck.

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 06:51 PM

Curious as to why just these two counties. The badlands southwest of Flomot look really interesting. Also west of White star. These are next door to Cottle in Motley county.

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 07:07 PM

If I had an extra $900k I'd be all over south "Owl creek ranch". Listed on lands of Texas. Beautiful place , owner would subdivide into a 500 acre and 250- 225 tracts. Cottle county.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Cottle....

Posted By: CGB

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 07:47 PM

Good choices imo on both county’s. Price per acre is still fair in both. Driving distance would be a factor for me. Size of the neighbors and hunting pressure around the property would be the most important thing I’d look at.

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 08:05 PM

I wouldn't want to have to drive more than 5 hours. But that's me. You'll spend more time at the new place if it's closer.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/10/19 09:20 PM

"If I had an extra $900k I'd be all over south "Owl creek ranch". Listed on lands of Texas. Beautiful place , owner would subdivide into a 500 acre and 250- 225 tracts. Cottle county."

If a Frog had wings, had $900K and could hop, he would not bounce his [censored] when he hopped.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/11/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
"If I had an extra $900k I'd be all over south "Owl creek ranch". Listed on lands of Texas. Beautiful place , owner would subdivide into a 500 acre and 250- 225 tracts. Cottle county."

If a Frog had wings, had $900K and could hop, he wouldhire someone else to carry him and not bounce his [censored] when he hopped.

Fixed it.

Personally, I like Cottle better. Better quality of deer, though maybe not as many. Mule Deer, turkey, quail and doesn't seem to be in serious drought all the time.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/11/19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Crockett for quantity and some quality. Cottle for quality.

^^^
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/11/19 02:50 PM

I would buy in a place that was not in or surrounded by a subdivision and it had ranches larger than the one I am buying that are surrounding it. Both counties have their good and bad.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/11/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I would buy in a place that was not in or surrounded by a subdivision and it had ranches larger than the one I am buying that are surrounding it. Both counties have their good and bad.

I concur. Crockett is going to have free roaming exotics for year round hunting of axis, auodad, red deer, etc.....and wild hogs. Cottle is gonna be hogs and predators year round. For traveling distance if you live in North Texas Cottle is the no brainer.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/11/19 03:56 PM

Big ranches in Cottle County

Matador
Pitchfork
Tongue River
Swenson
Buckle L
Triangle

To name a few.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/11/19 09:59 PM

Both counties can be good or bad. All gonna depend on neighbors landscape ,etc. I prefer the country better in cottle so that would be my pick. You can't do wrong with either as long as you do your homework. Good Luck on finding THE place!! Nothing like pulling up to the gate of your own place!

Re: Crockett county or cottle county? - 03/12/19 01:33 PM

Food plots will be difficult to impossible in Crockett county. Not so in Cottle. Good rich dirt up there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum