Texas Hunting Forum

Just me?

Posted By: Superduty

Just me? - 03/05/19 01:33 PM

I know deer season is over, but I love mornings that are cold with a light drizzle. Where everything is grey looking and the trees have not started to bloom. Grass is low and everything is quiet. The smell of the outdoors seems to be thicker.... To me this is the perfect hunt, weather wise.

We have had some days like this recently here in the messoplex and sure makes me miss hunting.

What is your favorite deer hunting weather? Works for ducks as well, or hogs....heck I like being out on days like that.
Posted By: dawgkllr

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 01:59 PM

I like a winter morning with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. A cold grey overcast day with a light drizzle is good too. Both of these are better spent in my box blind with the lil buddy heater running smile
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:08 PM

Really these days I have to say any day I can be out hunting, no matter the weather. Have to admit I've killed my personal top 2 best in nasty downpour dark storms and my best I was just looking for a break to get out of stand to make it back to camp when he appeared.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
I know deer season is over, but I love mornings that are cold with a light drizzle. Where everything is grey looking and the trees have not started to bloom. Grass is low and everything is quiet. The smell of the outdoors seems to be thicker.... To me this is the perfect hunt, weather wise.

We have had some days like this recently here in the messoplex and sure makes me miss hunting.

What is your favorite deer hunting weather? Works for ducks as well, or hogs....heck I like being out on days like that.

Mornings like that, maybe where the mist kinda comes and goes in waves, and the deer quietly appear and disappear like ghosts... great stuff!

But I will hunt in just about anything. I don't know that I have a favorite.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:09 PM

hunting pheasant with 6" of snow
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:15 PM

I like the cold clear mornings with a heavy frost and moderate breeze. Love to watch the sunrise and the sparkling landscape. Deer seem to like it too. cheers
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:20 PM

Now that deer season is over, my favorite hunting really begins. Calling coyotes, bobcats and chasing lions is much more exciting than deer hunting...and much more affordable.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:27 PM

I enjoy colder, not frigid weather. Slow drizzle can help, especially watching a food plot. One of the biggest bucks I've killed was during tornadic weather on December 26th, when the Tornado came through Rowlett. It had been hot and muggy then the wind changed and quarter size hail came down. Got still and quiet and scary. My phone went off saying a tornado warning was in effect for my area. Just then a couple of doe ran out of the woods followed by a 'monster'. Shot him at 30 yards. Comal county. Biggest buck ever killed on my FILs place in 30 years. After deer season I'm ready to fish so I dont care for the cold. Peach trees are screwed this year. bang
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:31 PM

My two best bucks came on mornings exactly like you described
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 02:34 PM

When it's overcast, drizzly and the temp below 65, I have a urge to want to drive a big ranch slowly, sipping whisky, playing tunes softly.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 03:21 PM

24/7/365 ... but I prefer cold enough where there aren't any mosquitoes. The cold doesn't bother me, even down into the teens.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Just me? - 03/05/19 03:40 PM

I prefer a cool, crisp, clear morning In october or November for hunting big game.

Ducks, give me 50 degrees and drizzle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum