Texas Hunting Forum

How long have you gone without talking a deer

Posted By: Mr. T.

How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 05:04 PM

I've been hunting a lot of years and the longest that I have gone without shooting a deer is 6 years. Now that is going every year, not taking any season off. How about the rest of you.
Posted By: Erny

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 05:40 PM

For the last 30 years I have gotten at least one deer per season. I really enjoy deer meat. Years ago it was tough here in north east Texas with very few doe days and some counties had none. Now I have gone several years with out taking a trophy (decent) buck.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 05:42 PM

I know a lot of horn hunters that run several years between deer. They would prefer to do without venison than shoot a doe.
I have shot a deer every year for the last 25 years, but not necessarily a whitetail. This year the ladies shot a handful of whitetail and I got a few axis.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 05:50 PM

I went 17 years without shooting a deer. In my younger days I shot 2-3 a year but I don't care that much about shooting any more. I'm more of a deer watcher nowadays.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 05:57 PM

It’s rare that I talk to deer, and when I do, I’m usually yelling unmentionables.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 06:14 PM

4 years but that was because the govt kept me in the Middle East for most of it. My unit was kind of "specialized." We got to go "hunting" but it wasn't for deer if you get my drift.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 08:50 PM

I gave up hunting a few years ago, now I go to visit, and just be in the pasture. But I still take my rifle and watch the feeder, every morning and evening that I am there.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 09:25 PM

Just started about 15 years ago. Average 2 a year for the freezer. Anymore than that is MLDP and they get donated.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 10:22 PM

8 years but a missed shot in there contributed to that run
Posted By: Stub

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/03/19 11:37 PM

Within the last 20 years maybe 2 years? I did not shoot a deer last year because I did not see a wall hanger and my freezer was full.
This year shot a doe because I did not see a wall hanger and had plenty of room in the freezer up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 02:21 AM

I think maybe only 1 year between deer since the first one. A few years I only killed a single doe though.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 03:48 AM

I spend a lot more money to watch them vs. shooting them these days. Shot a lot more deer back in the days before heated blinds, protein /corn feeders, etc.
Posted By: DH3

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 06:12 AM

WHEN I HAVE TRIED TO TALK TO A DEER, THEY ALL SEEM TO RUN AWAY. WHEN THEY RUN, THE ADRENILINE MAKES THE VENISON TASTE BAD, SO I HAVE REFRAINED FROM SPEAKING TO THEM.
HOW LONG?? AT LEAST 20 YEARS.. confused2
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 11:31 AM

During the 2016 season I didn’t shoot a deer. Hunted a bunch just didn’t see any doe or a buck I wanted.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 12:30 PM

Never more than a single season.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 01:20 PM

Right now, it's been about 3 months. And I am getting the itch.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 01:23 PM

I think about 5-6 years. When I decided to no longer shoot deer that were not mature. I was still learning how to consistently get mature deer opportunities and lease land that they actually exist on...lol.

I am just not mad at them anymore like I used to be. I took a lot more pics this year instead of rifle shots. Got a new pasture this year that I was more interested in learning what I had to work with than what I could shoot. I didn't shoot any deer but I had one of my most enjoyable seasons to date.

Got great pics of bucks chasing and fighting. Rattled in numerous bucks. Watched deer and coyotes eat corn side by side. Stalked mulies in the snow.....found some very promising bucks working their group of does. Had some of the most beautiful star filled nights around the fire......and sunsets and sunrises painted with Gods hand.

texas cheers
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 02:13 PM

We eat a lot of venison. I don't think I've been skunked in 39 years of hunting.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 02:25 PM

2003 was the last year I shot a deer until this past year. I have been on quail only leases since 2004 (didn't get on any lease this year) Could always count on Dad for more deer meat than we could eat but we lost him a few years ago so I had an offer to come shoot a couple of doe at a friends MLD place, so I went and shot two. Really re- lit a fire too. I love hearing that Little model 7 .223 bark.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 03:20 PM

Been a couple of years since I shot a deer (buck) and about 4 years before that for a buck. I use to shoot at least a doe every season but on my own place we don't see many so I pass on them. I sure feed them a lot though. Now a days I just make sure my son gets a buck.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 03:21 PM

Ive shot at least one deer a year since I started hunting. I have gone up to about 5 years without shooting a buck.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 04:13 PM

I'm 70 years old and I have harvested 44 deer. Started hunting at 13 and got my first one at 17 years old.. Several years I harvested more than one. So my longest dry spell was about 5 years, Where I grew up there weren't many deer and or trophies so just getting a deer was an accomplishment. I was blessed to move to this wonderful sate and further blessed to have my own place, I am now committed to harvesting mature bucks. Not overly concerned if I have a dry year. We do make certain that we have venison in the freezer but I leave that up to our younger hunters. We took only one last year although we could have compromised but we didn't.
Posted By: PMK

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 05:48 PM

I killed my first deer 56 years ago and I have only gone one season that I did not harvest one. I now take a doe or two early in the season instead of waiting until the extended season and not seeing anything.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/04/19 10:09 PM

I've hunted deer for 40 years and never missed a season. Probably gone 2 years max without shooting one.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: How long have you gone without talking a deer - 03/05/19 04:23 PM

I moved to Texas and bought my land in 2003. Before then, I shot one or two bucks a year including my one and only whitetail, a clean 135 ten point. I've been out on my land every deer season since buying my place and I've seen legal bucks almost every year, but I have chosen not to shoot one. I don't get anything out of shooting small bucks and pretty much just hunt for antlers or something that I can put on the wall. I shoot half a dozen or more hogs a year, and I've hunted free range exotics in other parts of the state, as well as Africa, but I haven't shot a native deer in 16 or 17 years. Not sure if I ever will, it's not that important to me. My wife has two bucks on our land in the last three years, and it's a lot more exciting and fun for me to help her get one then it is for me to get one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum