Texas Hunting Forum

Another black panther thread...

Posted By: Adchunts

Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 02:14 PM

This one from back in my old stomping grounds. What say the THF experts?

https://5newsonline.com/2019/02/14/...chief-says-he-spotted-one-while-hunting/
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 02:28 PM

Black, feral tom cat.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 03:02 PM

I would like to point out that the police chief is a professionally trained observer and hence has, um had, more credibility than your run of the mill local bubba.

He is a moron for going public with such a claim. If he ever has to be on the stand to testify about something he witnessed, his credibility will be called into question for identifying a mythical creature that does not exist.

I noticed he didn't talk about all the mountain lions he has seen before. So chances are, he has seen one such cat in the wild, and it was a mythical 'black panther.' It never fails to amaze me how many people claim to have seen black panthers who have not seen mountain lions when mountain lions are infinitely more common.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 03:10 PM

Lot of small diameter trees in the distance that "black panther house cat" is walking thru.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 03:33 PM

Meow
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
Black, feral tom cat.

X2.....people often see what they want to see. If I had been the police chief, I would have just taken it to fish and game and let them decide before I go public
saying I saw big foot....I mean a black panther.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 04:01 PM

Black, feral tom cat.

This
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Black, feral tom cat.

X2.....people often see what they want to see. If I had been the police chief, I would have just taken it to fish and game and let them decide before I go public
saying I saw big foot....I mean a black panther.

No kidding. Being in law enforcement doesn't make us feline experts. I couldn't make it through the commercials but I'm going to say house cat since black panthers do not exist.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 04:45 PM

That cat was close, if it were a panther sized cat it would appear much bigger than it does. Also doesn't walk like a great cat, more stiff like a house cat.

As an aside, has there ever been any discussion about a melanistic bobcat? I don't know the genetics of it, but I suppose it would be possible for something like that to exist....
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
That cat was close, if it were a panther sized cat it would appear much bigger than it does. Also doesn't walk like a great cat, more stiff like a house cat.

As an aside, has there ever been any discussion about a melanistic bobcat? I don't know the genetics of it, but I suppose it would be possible for something like that to exist....

Melanistic bobcats occur in Florida, but I think there have only been like 10 or so recorded. None in Texas, that I am aware of.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

Melanistic bobcats occur in Florida, but I think there have only been like 10 or so recorded. None in Texas, that I am aware of.

One was killed in Grimes County Texas last year or year before.

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 05:35 PM

I saw one in Webb County about 10 years ago. He was over 600 yards away on a sendero, but I still sent three rounds his way. The first one must've come close because he immediately dropped to his belly from a walking position. That's the only melanistic bobcat I've ever seen. I hope to see another some day.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 08:02 PM

I don’t think this one is even close. Not a cougar.
Posted By: pdugas

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/15/19 11:55 PM

violin
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 12:01 AM

Was that HF or LF? Did the sheriff have a .223 with him..... bounce
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

One was killed in Grimes County Texas last year or year before.

A guy posted one shot near Boerne a year or so ago.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 12:56 AM

Panther, No. Melanistic mountain lion is possible. Melanism occurs in many animal species. Hard to get a grasp on the size from that video.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Michael W.
Panther, No. Melanistic mountain lion is possible. Melanism occurs in many animal species. Hard to get a grasp on the size from that video.

And just what is the difference between a black panther and a black mountain lion?

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 07:36 AM

Possible? Maybe, though it has NEVER been documented. There are some dark brown mountain lions, but none that are actually black.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

And just what is the difference between a black panther and a black mountain lion?

Black Panthers are more commonly found burning cars in large metropolitan areas.
Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 03:24 PM

These are funny threads.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 04:49 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 04:52 PM

Should have seen that coming.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 04:56 PM

Spelling???

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

[Linked Image]

roflmao
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 06:52 PM

They actually did find a black leopard in africa 1st one since the 1930s, so if jaguars and leopards can be melanistic its rare but likely cougars can as well.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 09:47 PM

Remind not to go through Kibler Arkansas

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/16/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by sparrish8
They actually did find a black leopard in africa 1st one since the 1930s, so if jaguars and leopards can be melanistic its rare but likely cougars can as well.

There have been no documented black mountain lions ever confirmed to exist, despite hundreds of years of of western occupation of the New World. If it is a big cat and black, it is not a mountain lion.

Assuming that there could be black mountain lions out there, they would be the rarest of the rare 1 in a billion or rarer. That there are people who have seen more "black panthers" in the wild than mountain lions despite the fact that NONE have a confirmed documentation (and mountain lion documentations are common by comparison), just attests to the gullibility of people.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/17/19 12:32 AM

As far as I can find there has never been a panther in North America except in zoos. We have mountain lions, and occasionally Jaguars along with the smaller cats.

"Black panthers live chiefly in the hot, dense tropical rainforests of South and Southeast Asia. They are mainly in Southwestern China,
Burma, Nepal, Southern India, Indonesia, and the southern part of Malaysia. Black leopards are more common than light-colored leopards.

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/17/19 03:24 AM

Panthers are all over North America. They just aren’t black.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/18/19 08:55 AM

popcorn

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/18/19 01:01 PM

As far as I can find there has never been a panther in North America except in zoos. We have mountain lions, and occasionally Jaguars along with the smaller cats.

"Black panthers live chiefly in the hot, dense tropical rainforests of South and Southeast Asia. They are mainly in Southwestern China,
Burma, Nepal, Southern India, Indonesia, and the southern part of Malaysia. Black leopards are more common than light-colored leopards.

Part of the necessity for scientific nomenclature is the generalized or common use of generic names being applied to multiple animals. "Panther" is one of those names as applied to mountain lions.

Puma concolor
historically has been called many things including cougar, Mexican lion, mountain lion, deer tiger, mountain screamer, puma, painter, catamount, Panther, Silver lion, Devil cat, Indian devil, Sneak cat, king cat, mountain devil, red tiger, Deercat, Fire cat, Plain lion , Grey lion, lion, Caracajou, Klandagi, Catawampus, Quinquajou, Long Tail, and Swamp lion.
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/18/19 02:31 PM

Who knows, but I agree with the comment about taking the video to the game ranger station and let them decide. I would not have went public with it like he did. Just sayin"

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/18/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Birdboy
Who knows, but I agree with the comment about taking the video to the game ranger station and let them decide. I would not have went public with it like he did. Just sayin"

Well, the cat's outta the bag now.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/19/19 03:33 AM

That's a black cougar!!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Another black panther thread... - 02/19/19 05:48 PM

Found one in Burton today.......
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PMK

Re: Another black panther thread... - 08/15/19 06:39 PM

Ya'll be the judge out around Abilene ...

Re: Another black panther thread... - 08/15/19 06:48 PM

Black tom cat.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Another black panther thread... - 08/16/19 01:48 PM

I seen a black cougar yrs ago

Re: Another black panther thread... - 08/16/19 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
I seen a black cougar yrs ago

Bar, beer joint, or pool hall.... confused2