Texas Hunting Forum

Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ?

Posted By: deewayne2003

Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 04:36 PM

I've been invited to hunt Namibia in April 2020 for a 10 day plains game hunt and I was wondering if some of you guys that have actually been to Africa can fill me in on what kind of cost I am looking at for having animals shipped back?

I would be having the hides tanned and shipped back with the bleached skulls.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 05:37 PM

Best person to ask would be the outfitter/ph on your hunt.

Our safari they are charging $190 per head to dip/pack and if they can get everything we shoot into 1 crate said it should be around $1500 to ship it here. This is in South Africa
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 05:38 PM

Hides and skulls aren’t bad; ask the outfitter to get a quote from his preferred taxidermist. Primates and swine incurr additional clearing charges. Shoulder mounts add considerably to the shipping charges.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Our safari they are charging $190 per head to dip/pack and if they can get everything we shoot into 1 crate said it should be around $1500 to ship it here. This is in South Africa

I hear you..... but with a recent hunt in Canada that had some "unexpected costs" i'm iffy on trusting outfitters and wanted some real world after the fact figures
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 06:51 PM

A guy I worked with, a single guy with a good income, went to Africa back in the early 2000’s. Went to Zimbabwe. Now I’m going on an old memory, but I’m pretty sure he told me that the full cost of the trip, everything included, was about $30,000. He spent a lot of money, I know, on taxidermy and shipping.

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Hides and skulls aren’t bad; ask the outfitter to get a quote from his preferred taxidermist. Primates and swine incurr additional clearing charges. Shoulder mounts add considerably to the shipping charges.

after getting the prices back from the Taxidermist there It will be money ahead to have my mounts done here.

it adds about $200 per head but I save that in shipping.

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
A guy I worked with, a single guy with a good income, went to Africa back in the early 2000’s. Went to Zimbabwe. Now I’m going on an old memory, but I’m pretty sure he told me that the full cost of the trip, everything included, was about $30,000. He spent a lot of money, I know, on taxidermy and shipping.

a lot depends on what he shot.

You can spend that easily if you get trigger happy on some of the bigger cost animals like Sables, etc.

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by deewayne2003

I hear you..... but with a recent hunt in Canada that had some "unexpected costs" i'm iffy on trusting outfitters and wanted some real world after the fact figures

contact a local taxidermist in Namibia. Life form Taxidermy in south Africa will be able to give you some accurate costs if none are available in Namibia
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 07:47 PM

My wife and I went to Namibia in 2011, we had 6 plains game euro mounts done with mounting shields(wood plaques) plus 3 hides tanned, Taxi work and shipping was approx. $1200.00. It was shipped air freight not on a ship but was told it would be sent by ship and then trucked to DFW. Customs charge was approx. $250 and I picked up at DFW
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 08:23 PM

I had 2 shoulder mounts(Impala and black wildebeest) and 2 skull mounts(warthog and kudu).

I think it was $1200 for shipping
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 08:56 PM

On one of my trips to Namibia, I had two zebra skins a kudu cape, skull and horns shipped back. I had the two zebra skins completely done in Namibia (Trophidienste) because the total cost of felted, tanned skins was only $150 or so each. I would highly advise not to get shoulder mounts done over there because once they are shipped to you and there are problem (if any) you'll have a devil of a time getting any help. Anyway, the cost to dip/pack/ship that crate to Dallas was $1450, and $450 to clear customs through Coppersmith.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/11/19 09:15 PM

Insufficient info to give a really accurate amount, but can get you close. On a 10-day PG trip, I would expect you to have the opportunity at one animal per day, maybe even two. Are you going to be hunting 2x1?? Figure 8-10 animals total. Do you know what you would like to shoot yet??? A lot of people have their capes done over here in the US, which will give you better overall quality. Just have the backskins tanned there. They do excellent tanning for rugs also. I will list some tanning charges below. As far as Euro mounts go for the skulls, they tend to boil the crap out of skulls over there and you will have some lower horn damage most likely. Make sure to have all of your trophies measure BEFORE boiling!!! There is a substantial difference in just dip/pack of the skulls and horns and Euro mount quality. Make sure they understand what you want. I use Reiser Taxidermy from Windhoek, as he is a friend and does great work.

My typical taxidermy charges run $1800-2800 per trip, depending on what I shoot and bring home.
Zebra rug tanned plain $500, with felt back and edges and ears stitched $600-800
Giraffe rug plain, legs trimmed halfway $1600
Kudu or Wildebeest backskins $150, full flat rug $300 Dip/pack skulls $180-200
Hartebeest or Waterbuck about the same size) backskins $125, rug $250, did/pack $150
All the smaller ones (impala, blesbok, springbok etc.) $75 backspin, $150 rug, dip/pack skulls $80

My last trip from Windhoek my shipping charges to the States, customs clearance and admin fees, CITES inspection, USDA vet inspection for baboons and warthogs, and delivery from SF to Salt Lake City was a total of $980. They will add another $300-400 if they ship to RSA, before sending them on to the US.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/12/19 04:23 PM

Where are you located? You could talk to the closest taxidermist and get a good feel for cost
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/14/19 08:42 AM

The impressive thing is the shipping from the Taxi. We got about a dozen animals and they all came in one BIG box.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/16/19 01:35 AM

A couple years ago I paid $753 for dip/pack and $939 for shipping. This was for 7 animals. It would've been cheaper if I would've had the Euros done there.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/16/19 06:54 PM

My wife calls it the trip we never stop paying for out trip was $15k including flights then $2500 for dip, pack, ship and the airlines charged us holding fees because game and fish took for ever to look at my crates then $14k in taxidermy we took 7 animals.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/16/19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus

after getting the prices back from the Taxidermist there It will be money ahead to have my mounts done here.

it adds about $200 per head but I save that in shipping.

Their taxidermy is not near the quality if good taxi in the US but the flat work for pillows and rugs in SA was very good and much cheaper than here.
Posted By: Mwhuntfish

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/21/19 03:28 AM

After my hunt in South Africa, had euros on plaques and flat skins/zebra rug. Did great work on euros and skins are well done at less than half what it would have been in the US, plus no extra costs for dip and pack. Shipping air/ insurance plus customs was about $1400. They can fit a lot of skulls/skins in a crate and I think a big part of the shipping cost is the dimensions of the crate. Have a great trip
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/21/19 05:25 PM

Went in to SA in '17, had 7 euro mounts and one skin. Shipping back by air was about $750. Paid $50 or so for storage at holding facility. Cleared F&W and Customs myself and saved the money. Not hard especially when there are no pigs or monkeys, and F&W was helpful with all questions.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Africa hunt .... After cost of shipping ? - 02/22/19 03:56 AM

Way too many variables. But it’s fair to say at least a grand and then there is the brokerage fees to clear customs. That runs about 500 bucks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum