Texas Hunting Forum

suppressors

Posted By: Mr. T.

suppressors - 01/14/19 09:41 PM

I'm just asking a question. My 72 year old wife is having rotator cuff surgery next week. She is worried about not being able to shoot her 30/06. So, I'm going to buy her a 243 or 25/06 and thought that if I could get a suppressor for it, that would even be better. Is there anyway to legally buy one without going through a year long wait?
Posted By: 21Brutus

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 09:43 PM

No....but the wait was 7 months before the Govt shutdown

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 09:44 PM

Oh my, I forgot about the government shutdown. The seven months sounded good for a moment.
Posted By: 21Brutus

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 09:51 PM

I feel ya....I have one in, was due end of December and then this.....oh well, I'll see it sometime in 2019.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 10:21 PM

All that said, there's nothing in the world better than a suppressor over a muzzle brake. You could try that over an '06 or .308, and then drop down to something like the Creed, if necessary. Yes, the process is slow, but oh so worth it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
All that said, there's nothing in the world better than a suppressor over a muzzle brake. You could try that over an '06 or .308, and then drop down to something like the Creed, if necessary. Yes, the process is slow, but oh so worth it.

OP, if you don't mind threading the .30-06, this is a great route to go. I have a suppressor on my .308 and even with 178s it's mild. You could also look at reduced loads in the .30-06, with/without the suppressor.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 10:53 PM

Cry once and get the suppressor. If you buy her a 25.06 get one with a threaded barrel. They will come in a 20" length which is better for going suppressed or even shorter. I recommend spending the extra for light weight and shorter length. It's 3-400 dollars difference for a lifetime purchase. I would take a look at the Thunderbeast Ultra 9. I'm very impressed with it.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: suppressors - 01/14/19 11:53 PM

Reduced recoil loads might help a lot.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: suppressors - 01/15/19 01:21 AM

Don't buy a long action anything, if you're worried about recoil. So no 25-06, 270, 30-06. A really good shooting short action cartridge is far better than a flinch from a person shooting a long action. 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308 will do anything needed. And whitetail ain't that tough.

Buy the suppressor, get the documents straight, pay the ATF, and wait. It is well worth it. Once you hunt suppressed, that is the only way you will hunt.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: suppressors - 01/15/19 01:28 AM

I’ll second want JG said, 6.5 Creedmoor....but a 243 or 7mm-08 would be great also.

And yes, buy the suppressor. Go lightweight (titanium). Not cheap but they make shooting more enjoyable and you only live once..
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: suppressors - 01/15/19 02:25 PM

A few years back I had a 7wsm built for my elk / precision / long range shooting gun. I shot it a few times before I got my suppressor, but the intention was to never take it off once I got it. It kicked very similarly to my dad's 7mag, and considerably more than my BIL's tikka t3 lite 243. With the suppressor on my gun, it kicks less than the 243.

Like said above, once you hunt with one, you wont want to go back to non suppressed. I'd also recommend doing like JG said...go with a short action round and suppress it. It'll be even sweeter to shoot. At the end of the 2017-2018 hunting season, I picked up a 6.5cm (just because I was on a mission to buy a gun that day and couldn't find a 7-08 locally in stock) and chopped the barrel down and threaded it. With my silencerco Harvester attached, it's only about an inch longer than my Remington 700 bdl 30-06, but its quiet and doesn't kick. up Just my experience.

I'm already looking at getting my second one for when my oldest boy gets old enough to shoot. I'm looking pretty hard at the Thunderbeast Ultra 7. Pitchfork recommended the ultra 9 above, which is also a great suppressor and is quieter than the 7. I hunt, so I want something a little shorter. They also make the Ultra 5 which is only 5", but I've heard the best bang for your buck (at least in the Thunderbeast line-up) is the Ultra 7. Medium length, medium suppression, but still accurate.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: suppressors - 01/17/19 10:53 PM

Make sure that the threading on the suppressor is correct before you buy it. Had a buddy just wait his 7 months, threading was fouled up when he picked it up, so he now gets to wait an additional 7 months.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: suppressors - 01/18/19 07:27 PM

Just throwing this out there, but I’ve built a couple ARs for my boys to hunt deer.. low recoil option.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: suppressors - 01/18/19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZK-315
Like said above, once you hunt with one, you wont want to go back to non suppressed.

100% this
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: suppressors - 01/18/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Like said above, once you hunt with one, you wont want to go back to non suppressed.

100% this

+1!! Once I started hunting suppressed, that was it.
Posted By: passthru

Re: suppressors - 01/31/19 04:55 AM

25-06 kicks a whole lot more than a .243. That said the suppressor is a good tool. Worth the paperwork and wait. I should have done it years before I did. I'm hearing aide shopping now.
Posted By: Leveled

Re: suppressors - 02/01/19 06:45 PM

I would get this rifle:
Thompson Center Compass 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt-Action Rifle
It is inexpensive $300 reviewers show it at 1 moa and it is threaded for a muzzle break or a suppressor should you decide on one.

Re: suppressors - 02/01/19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leveled
I would get this rifle:
It is inexpensive $300 reviewers show it at 1 moa and it is threaded for a muzzle break or a suppressor should you decide on one.

I will look into that. Monday, we are at the doctors office for him to take out the stitches for her rotator cuff surgery.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: suppressors - 02/01/19 08:43 PM

BTW, you don't have to get carried away with small calibers. Many brands of suppressors fit over mounts that are muzzle brakes. The suppressor/brake combo is **amazing**. It turned my lightweight .338 Lapua into a .30-06 in terms of recoil and will make the recoil of a .308 or 7/08 very modest indeed.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: suppressors - 02/01/19 08:47 PM

If you get the can you be able to put it on any rifle threaded for it, not just the wife's new rifle.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: suppressors - 02/01/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Don't buy a long action anything, if you're worried about recoil. So no 25-06, 270, 30-06. A really good shooting short action cartridge is far better than a flinch from a person shooting a long action. 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308 will do anything needed. And whitetail ain't that tough.

Buy the suppressor, get the documents straight, pay the ATF, and wait. It is well worth it. Once you hunt suppressed, that is the only way you will hunt.

What suppressor do you run on your 7-08? Can you shoot it comfortably without ears?
Posted By: Toney198

Re: suppressors - 02/03/19 12:11 AM

I have nothing to contribute on the suppressor question that haven’t already been covered, but I hope I can still shoot an 06 at 72 much less my wife!!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: suppressors - 02/03/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Leveled
I would get this rifle:

I will look into that. Monday, we are at the doctors office for him to take out the stitches for her rotator cuff surgery.

I can vouch for the rifle. I picked up one before the end of last year, they had a $50 rebate going. Put some decent Nikon glass on it with leupold rings. Shoots right at 1 inch with hornady ammo. Haven’t tried anything else yet.

Re: suppressors - 02/03/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Toney198
I have nothing to contribute on the suppressor question that haven’t already been covered, but I hope I can still shoot an 06 at 72 much less my wife!!!

Well, my wife started reading these post and said that the reason that she has shot her 30/06 with 180 grain bullets for the last 45 years is for two reasons. One, she has pulled the trigger 24 times and has 24 whitetail, mule deer, antelope laying on the ground. the antelope was her first kill ever at 276 yards. She was laying prone on the ground with the rifle propped up on her jacket. I tapped her on her leg to say, "thats too far." But she thought I tapped her to shoot. And two, she said she is not as big a [censored] as a lot of you guys when it comes to flinching to recoil.
Okay, that is what she said. What I am saying is I don't want her to have to flinch anymore to put an animal down with one shot. You got to love woman who love to hunt!
Posted By: rickt300

Re: suppressors - 02/03/19 10:43 PM

I have a friend that is patiently waiting for his paperwork. He has a fake suppressor that looks like the real thing just doesn't have any baffles in it that he keeps on his rifle for looks. My question is really how do you tell if a suppressor is fake or not?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: suppressors - 02/03/19 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

What suppressor do you run on your 7-08? Can you shoot it comfortably without ears?

Currently a Tigershark. This year will be a Crux ArkNeo, once the government gives me permission to have it.

Yes, they are hearing safe.
Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: suppressors - 02/09/19 09:22 PM

Mr. T,

I am a full time wheelchair user and athlete for 30 years. I have had four complete rotator cuff reconstructions. As a result of some arthritis and chronic pain, I took a long range shooters advice and tried the 6.5 Creedmor. I could not be happier. The recoil is super low (unsuppressed), bullet is flat, fast, and has impact. You can find the 6.5 Creedmor across all price ranges. I started out with the Ruger American Rifle with threaded barrel for under $500.

As for the suppressor for the potential long wait, you can check with your friends that have a trust and ask to be added to theirs, at least until you can get your own setup.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: suppressors - 02/11/19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Toney198

Well, my wife started reading these post and said that the reason that she has shot her 30/06 with 180 grain bullets for the last 45 years is for two reasons. One, she has pulled the trigger 24 times and has 24 whitetail, mule deer, antelope laying on the ground. the antelope was her first kill ever at 276 yards. She was laying prone on the ground with the rifle propped up on her jacket. I tapped her on her leg to say, "thats too far." But she thought I tapped her to shoot. And two, she said she is not as big a [censored] as a lot of you guys when it comes to flinching to recoil.
Okay, that is what she said. What I am saying is I don't want her to have to flinch anymore to put an animal down with one shot. You got to love woman who love to hunt!

She sounds like a good woman! I hope she heals nice and quick and you get her back at the hunting game with no problems cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum