Texas Hunting Forum

Red wolf hybrids

Posted By: Palehorse

Red wolf hybrids - 01/14/19 07:36 PM

Red wolf hybrids are confirmed to be living on Galveston Island.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article...285-fb3d9167-0fed-4605-9040-a7073b7eaaec
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/14/19 08:19 PM

I saw that article. On the one hand there’s a side of me that’s excited but on the other hand the paranoid side of me questions if this could be an attempt to stop coyote hunting. eek2
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/14/19 09:43 PM

I camped on sea rim state park beach for three nights. I confirmed with a game warden that is what we encountered. Once coming into the dunes in and out trying to get near our dog, and once in the middle of the second night staring right at our tent. Confirmed with both the state and federal game warden that is was a hybrid. much bigger than the yotes we see and the red fox tinge. He said there all over the bayou and marsh behind the park. I thought I was going crazy when I saw it but late rest assured my eyes had not deceived me. Stay safe!

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/14/19 10:20 PM

We have some really big, wolfy looking coyotes running around here in Brazoria county. I wonder if we have some with a good amount of wolf genes. Galveston Island is pretty much just right down the road.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/14/19 11:15 PM

Our local TPWD biologist has offered to come out and collect what he needs from any coyotes that we kill in East Texas that appear to have a wolf-like appearance to have their DNA checked for evidence of wolf genetics.

I too have seen coyotes that appeared larger than normal and with red-tinted hair. IMO, the normal coyote in East Texas is thin and gray.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by DonPablo
I saw that article. On the one hand there’s a side of me that’s excited but on the other hand the paranoid side of me questions if this could be an attempt to stop coyote hunting. eek2

Some truth probably to that. But it’s hard to give a hybrid ESA protections
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 03:59 AM

I live in N.C. where they stocked these Red Wolves, they have cross bred with the coyotes , and for a long time we couldn't shoot a coyote, still can't at night.
They have wiped out our deer herd.
IF you guys are smart you will not report seeing these hybrid coyotes, it will come the time when you wont be able to shoot a coyote , and all your deer will be gone. Forrest
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 04:32 AM

The grennies are going to use this to shut down all sorts of hunting and trapping, however it is a bunch of BS as there is really no Red Wolf. You guys will regret going along with this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/science/red-eastern-gray-wolves.html

-TJ
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

My thoughts too
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 06:24 AM

Get your ducks in a row to fight off the nature Nazis as they will be coming for you. Large parts of Ontario have outright banned wolf and coyote hunting due to a recovery strategy for the Eastern Wolf, aka Algonquin Wolf and a very close genetic relative (if not identical) to the Red Wolf. Have read through this:

https://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/ebr/docs/algonquin-wolf-draft-recovery-strategy.pdf

Last thing you want is policy based on a strategy like that. You can bet the Nazis are already looking at policy like that.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 09:27 AM

Pretty cool deal, hope they make it. Always find it interesting that there are people that are so hell bent on killing predators.

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
The grennies are going to use this to shut down all sorts of hunting and trapping, however it is a bunch of BS as there is really no Red Wolf. You guys will regret going along with this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/science/red-eastern-gray-wolves.html

-TJ

Thanks for sharing that. Having read that, I agree we need to reject the concept of protecting hybrids. If we’re not careful before we know it they’ll even be trying to protect coy-dogs!

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 03:27 PM

So the Mexican Gray is considered a sub-species, right?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Drahthaar
I live in N.C. where they stocked these Red Wolves, they have cross bred with the coyotes , and for a long time we couldn't shoot a coyote, still can't at night.
IF you guys are smart you will not report seeing these hybrid coyotes, it will come the time when you wont be able to shoot a coyote , and all your deer will be gone. Forrest

Not only not report them but shoot all you can..... rifle
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 09:36 PM

There is nothing good about having wolves roaming around.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

Agreed. But I did check a bucket list item off my list a couple years ago when I heard them before dawn in Montana on the last day of an elk hunt. Really cool sound. But that's because it was something I'd never heard. (And because I was looking for any excuse to take a break and make my much younger hunting buddy stop for a minute while we trudged through a lot of fresh snow. I was sweating like a "professional" lady in church.) If I had to hear them like I've heard coyotes, I'm sure I'd feel completely differently.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/15/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

I like having wolves around. But like everything, it needs to be in moderation. The problem lies with all the tree hugger's that use things like this to tie up scarce fish & game management resources in litigation. Any excuse they can use to keep any type of wildlife management from actually happening, they will use. Just look at all the litigation over the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone and the resulting dispersal, or to trying to move wolves off of the ESA in the Great Lakes region. Way after any of those populations hit their management goals, and still no de-listing or management for tens of years. And still in litigation to this day.

We have tons of wolves in AK, but still are in court constantly about how we are trying to manage them and other big game ungulates. And it never helps when the feds get involved, either.

Do everyone a favor and don't let this nonsense take a foot hold.

-TJ

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 12:39 AM

According to the genetics of the sample from a roadkill, these dogs are about 40% wolf. In my opinion, I can't see much legal protections they could give them other than some very local ordinances on the island. I'll have to admit though, to have an opportunity to have a Texas wolf skin on the wall has me a little excited, even if it's a hybrid.

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Palehorse
According to the genetics of the sample from a roadkill, these dogs are about 40% wolf. In my opinion, I can't see much legal protections they could give them other than some very local ordinances on the island. I'll have to admit though, to have an opportunity to have a Texas wolf skin on the wall has me a little excited, even if it's a hybrid.

You better get one quick if you want one.....

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

You better get one quick if you want one.....

Yep, that's the plan.

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 01:53 AM

cheers
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 02:10 AM

My father killed a very large yote about 1960-62. The head was sent to Texas Game & Fish for examination to check for the hybrid connection. The letter came back saying there was no wolves anywhere in Texas. Now it seems there are every where.

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
My father killed a very large yote about 1960-62. The head was sent to Texas Game & Fish for examination to check for the hybrid connection. The letter came back saying there was no wolves anywhere in Texas. Now it seems there are every where.

No DNA testing back then....
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/16/19 04:30 AM

I have a buddy posting this on his FB now. He swore he saw one up at his place in Wise county... He hasn't lost any calves yet and has plenty of hogs and deer.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/31/19 05:06 AM

Time to put those big bore air rifles to work.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/31/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I too have seen coyotes that appeared larger than normal and with red-tinted hair. IMO, the normal coyote in East Texas is thin and gray.

Agree. Most are scrawny but some more red than others. Saw one early morning going to stand that was big, looked like a German Shepard, the size anyway. Too dark to comment on color.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 01/31/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

My thoughts too

They will damn sure try though. Reason why they re-classified the Canadian wolf that was introduced into Yellowstone. They change it to same sub species and ruled body size difference as Bergmann’s rule, so they could introduce

The anti’s damn sure figured out how to go after hunting the smart way, reduce tags and interest via increased predation, then Polarize alpha predators as fuzzy wazzies, to increase thier numbers all while making management look uncivilized.... Cecil the lion, scareface the grizzly bear, etc
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/01/19 01:42 AM

A few years ago my son shot as big a coyote as I have seen. It weighed 71 lbs. a big thick barrel chested coyote with more white than usual. Around 3 hours north of there though. There were the usual comments: "may have some wolf blood". This thread kinda makes me wonder now?
Either way my son got a really cool rug...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/01/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
A few years ago my son shot as big a coyote as I have seen. It weighed 71 lbs. a big thick barrel chested coyote with more white than usual. Around 3 hours north of there though. There were the usual comments: "may have some wolf blood". This thread kinda makes me wonder now?
Either way my son got a really cool rug...
[Linked Image]

There is so much attention on these hybrids right now that the TPWD biologist for our area asked me to let him know if we shoot one that appears unusually large so he can gather tissue for DNA testing.

He also told me not to fear shooting a Red Wolf because they are considered extinct in East Texas. Not sure how that works other than hunters cannot be held accountable for shooting an animal that isn't known to exist in the area. It would be a different matter if Red Wolves were known to live there, much like the current protection on Timber Rattlers.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/02/19 01:17 AM

TRUST ME the best thing to do is to SSS. I promise you . Forrest
Posted By: Western

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/02/19 03:35 PM

Was watching one of the new Lone star law episodes and one of the Houston area GW mentioned red wolves still around on the coast.

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/21/19 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Drahthaar

There was a poor old woman who was attacked and killed in a small town just down the road from the Alligator River NWR where these red wolves were released. DNA collected from the woman shows that some type of canine did the attack but the first results couldn't determine if it was a dog, coyote, or wolf.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/north-carolina-high-school-teacher-killed-animal-attack-61200329

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/23/19 08:17 PM

I wonder how DNA analysis will change the way we classify animals in the near future. I was reading an article the other day about how the Brown bear, Kodiak bear and the Grizzly bear are all genetically the same species. I suppose they could reclassify the Kodiak and Grizzly as sub-species. Hard to ague against DNA evidence.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/25/19 02:30 PM

Ulterior motives abound on every subject
. Scary that people will go, or might go to such great lengths to further their personal endeavors.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Red wolf hybrids - 02/26/19 12:12 AM

We have some really big, wolfy looking coyotes running around here in Brazoria county.

Deep East Texas too.

This is clearly a 'Yote' but if some of my neighbors were to see it...they would be shouting 'WOLF'.

I have some pics and videos of what I believe are honest to goodness CoyDogs and those can be kind of Wolfy looking too.

Additionally, our Coyotes tend to run larger than those in other parts of the State. So...folks who don't live here (but hunt here) often get excited over that and question the lineage.

Attached picture Healthy  Yote.jpg
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum