Texas Hunting Forum

rice bran

Posted By: mow

rice bran - 01/07/19 11:56 PM

does rice bran clog up your feeder?? thoughts on rice bran? wallyworld has it marked down to 5 bucks 50#
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: rice bran - 01/08/19 12:17 AM

Don't know about spin feeders clogging but you'll regret this if you have cows!
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: rice bran - 01/08/19 12:37 AM

Yes it will!

I've used it for years to "dress" my pig pipes and in select piles near my blinds. But it's very fine like powder and once moist will make a helluva mess in a spin feeder.

texas

PS- That's a REALLY good price! I wish I was closer.....
Posted By: rickym

Re: rice bran - 01/08/19 01:25 AM

I’d buy a few sacks, use it sporadically as an attraction through out the year, and keep at least one sack til next deer season and pour piles of it to hunt over. You can also dust foliage with it to keep the smell in the air.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: rice bran - 01/08/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
I’d buy a few sacks, use it sporadically as an attraction through out the year, and keep at least one sack til next deer season and pour piles of it to hunt over. You can also dust foliage with it to keep the smell in the air.

^^^^^This
Posted By: Hiredgun

Re: rice bran - 01/08/19 04:22 PM

We us rice bran as an attractant but, we don't put it in our spin feeders. We pour it on the ground in a few piles. The deer will tear it up. We don't have to deal with cows so I can't speak on that. If the rice bran gets wet it will crust over but, the deer continue to eat it. We get our rice bran from the local farm supply. The rice bran we use is what we would call "plain" no flavor but, it is offered in flavors. I have seen a rice bran feeder. It is suspended above the ground by a rope thrown over a tree limb. It is on a timer and can feed up to 6 times a day. You set the time and the length of the feeding.

Thanks...

Hiredgun

Re: rice bran - 01/09/19 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hiredgun
We us rice bran as an attractant but, we don't put it in our spin feeders. We pour it on the ground in a few piles. The deer will tear it up. We don't have to deal with cows so I can't speak on that. If the rice bran gets wet it will crust over but, the deer continue to eat it. We get our rice bran from the local farm supply. The rice bran we use is what we would call "plain" no flavor but, it is offered in flavors. I have seen a rice bran feeder. It is suspended above the ground by a rope thrown over a tree limb. It is on a timer and can feed up to 6 times a day. You set the time and the length of the feeding.

Thanks...

Hiredgun

thanks..and welcome to the forum!!
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: rice bran - 01/10/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hiredgun
We pour it on the ground in a few piles. The deer will tear it up.
Hiredgun
I bought 2 bags this year just to try it out. Nothing touched it. Not even the hogs!! And they eat anything!!!
confused2
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: rice bran - 01/11/19 10:39 AM

Dang sure works for me. That is, unless the pigs get there first.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: rice bran - 01/11/19 07:02 PM

Wish I could find some and some deer that would like it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: rice bran - 01/11/19 09:55 PM

I get it at the local feed store. About the same price as a bag of corn.

Re: rice bran - 01/16/19 10:41 AM

went back to buy couple of bags..there were 1 pallet left..it was settig outside in the garden section and had a sign on it that said "sold"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum