Texas Hunting Forum

Hunt accident

Posted By: don k

Hunt accident - 01/04/19 01:16 PM

Has anyone heard anything about an accidental gun discharge at the Chap ?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 01:58 PM

What is the Chap?
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
What is the Chap?

Chapparal wma
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by Choctaw
What is the Chap?

Chapparal wma

Okay, thank you.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 02:54 PM

Friends grandson works on the Chap.
I’m getting that a son was unloading his gun in the truck and shot his dad in the leg.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 03:10 PM

Man that sucks! Hope he recovers ok
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jim1961
Man that sucks! Hope he recovers ok

X2...prayers....
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by majekman
I’m getting that a son was unloading his gun in the truck and shot his dad in the leg.

That calls for a little more than a “Time Out”.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 11:49 PM

Completely avoidable if that's how it happened!
Posted By: Greg

Re: Hunt accident - 01/04/19 11:58 PM

That’s not good at all. Hope Dad recovers well.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Greg
That’s not good at all. Hope Dad recovers well.

I completely agree.

The takeaway from this unfortunate incident is that one should continue to monitor the muzzle control of even well-instructed kids. Ultimately, safety is always the responsibility of supervising adult.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by syncerus
The takeaway from this unfortunate incident is that one should continue to monitor the muzzle control of even well-instructed kids. Ultimately, safety is always the responsibility of supervising adult.

+1
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

+1

Yup....if it happened as claimed then dear ol dad is at fault....Jes my 2cents
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

+1

Yup....if it happened as claimed then dear ol dad is at fault....Jes my 2cents

Hard to counter that logic. I can’t imagine being on either end of the accident. Just pray it’s not severe and the worse thing to come out of it all is that their story is used as a reminder to prevent more tragedies.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 02:38 PM

Treat every gun as if it were loaded and point in a safe direction at all times

Most important of the primary rules
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 03:28 PM

"I’m getting that a son was unloading his gun in the truck"
The gun should have been unloaded outside the truck.

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by White Falcon
"I’m getting that a son was unloading his gun in the truck"
The gun should have been unloaded outside the truck.

Yep, but that would be a common sense issue and that is never involved in an accidental shooting incident. Actually I don’t know why it’s called “accidental” when it should be ignorant and or stupidity shooting.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 07:57 PM

Actually I don’t know why it’s called “accidental” when it should be ignorant and or stupidity shooting.

It is called "accidental" just like car wrecks are called "accidents" by people not in the insurance industry. It is because they are not on purpose. More appropriate descriptors used usually include the discharges being negligental or unintentional with "accidental" discharges being left to valid weapon mechanical failures resulting in an unintended discharge, such as a Remington 700 discharging when the user tries to open the bolt (many court cases and Remington recalls on this) or a gun that is supposed to fire semiautomatically that ends up firing fully automatically.

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 08:25 PM

I was speaking overall....in more general terms also with a tad bit of sarcasm thrown in. I know about weapon malfunction and other issues that may truly be accidental.
My point being that a very high percentage of accidental discharges are the total lack of knowledge or common sense that involves a human element
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 09:21 PM

Pure kid!
I can't imagine what he's going through.
Prayers for him and his Dad angel
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Hunt accident - 01/05/19 09:25 PM

Prayers for ALL!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 02:09 PM

Most shooting-related accidents don't happen in the field but around vehicles when people are handling loaded weapons. Needless to say, waiting until you are in the field to load your firearm and unloading it before leaving the field eliminates the chance of it happening.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 03:32 PM

ouch!
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 04:03 PM

It makes me cringe to think about what that could do to a leg at close range like that. I hope it just grazed him.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Most shooting-related accidents don't happen in the field but around vehicles when people are handling loaded weapons.

I follow this topic via google alerts. Most shooting-related accidents involving injuries or deaths do happen in the field and not at vehicles. Texas seems to follow what goes on elsewhere pretty well. Take 2017. There were 21 firearms-related incidents. 2 were as you described around vehicles, 1 was after the hunt goofing around the campfire, and the rest happened in the field.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hu...dent-report-official-revised-3-25-18.pdf

2016: 19 incidents, the data are a bit vague, but only a few (3) specifically mention vehicles and may a couple more happened around them.
2015: 20 incidents, 1 vehicle-related, 1 possibly vehicle related
2014: 25 incidents, 2 by hunters who were hunting from their vehicle, 1 of which being an intentional shot that hit someone on the next property, and a 3rd inside a vehicle.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 04:30 PM

Dumb Dad.
One should never assume another gun handler in your presence is doing so safely.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 06:04 PM

I've witnessed AD's from several friends or hunting partners in the field. All were directly the result of carelessness. Hunting with others scares me to death!!!

Two of them actually shot themselves with pistols, a 44 Mag thru the left leg and blew knee apart. The other a TC Contender in a shoulder holster and shot himself in the side with a 410 shotshell.

One laid a shotgun across the seat of the duck boat, and when he picked it up by the action hit the trigger. Shot a 12 ga sized hole right thru the side of the boat.

The last was unloading his 300 Win Mag at the truck, with the muzzle pointed straight up, and hit the trigger. My God, that was loud!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunt accident - 01/07/19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Hard to counter that logic. I can’t imagine being on either end of the accident. Just pray it’s not severe and the worse thing to come out of it all is that their story is used as a reminder to prevent more tragedies.

x2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum