Texas Hunting Forum

Raccoon Problems

Posted By: RutHunter76

Raccoon Problems - 12/17/18 11:20 PM

Looking for some pointers on how to get rid of raccoons. They are tearing up feeders and eating all of our feed. I know every hunter has more than likely experienced problems with coons. We are seeing 15+ on a game cameras per feeder. Anybody ever had success taking them out?

Thanks!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/17/18 11:28 PM

Dogproof traps I prefer dukes
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/17/18 11:29 PM

1. Buy varmint guards to put around your motors.
2. Put the PVC (4") pipes, suspended by chain, on your feeder legs.
3. Trap and shoot the hell out of them with Duke's Dog Proof Coon Traps , bait with marshmallows (I like to make them party colored, for a festive send-off) and cat food (any kind). Wire the trap off to the feeder leg, or a stout bush close by.

You're gonna hear a lot about "Eliminator plates". Good luck keepin' them lubed up. bolt
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/17/18 11:36 PM

Vasoline on the feeder legs slows them down.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
3. Trap and shoot the hell out of them with Duke's Dog Proof Coon Traps , bait with marshmallows (I like to make them party colored, for a festive send-off) and cat food (any kind). Wire the trap off to the feeder leg, or a stout bush close by.

You're gonna hear a lot about "Eliminator plates". Good luck keepin' them lubed up. bolt

And never stop, because they keep on coming
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

And never stop, because they keep on coming

up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 01:24 AM

Buy Eliminator Spinner Plates for all your feeders. Trapping with dog proof traps will help more than anything. If you use a varmint cage get one large enough so that any coon can not reach wiring or spinner plates, if they can they will still tear things up if you use to small of a cage.
I spray my spinner plates once a year and never had any issues.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 01:29 AM

https://www.cabelas.com/product/DUK...gwW8EAQYASABEgKfOfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That’s for a dozen. I don’t know where you hunt or live but, you can borrow one of mine. They work, and I just use corn.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 02:05 AM

Here are two I buy from:
http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trapping.aspx
https://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html

If you are anywhere close to a Lyssy & Eckles Feed Store, they carrying them also.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 02:35 AM

There are several brands of DP traps that have a similar release mechanism as the Dukes, they work good too. The Freedom Brand (FB) kind are no good, they do not have a reliable trigger.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 12:42 PM

I have trapped and killed 34 coons the last 6 months, using the Duke dog proof traps, and dropping about 6 Golden Graham cereals down in them. Had not trapped since deer season opened, but they started coming back, past weekend got 2 coons and a skunk. If you get a skunk in the trap, just shoot it and leave it. The buzzards will completely clean it up, in about 3 hours. Nothing left, but the the tail and skeleton.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 02:13 PM

Run the Eliminator plate and forget about it. The coons will give up once they fail to get feed out a few times
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 03:04 PM

I use the Duke dog proof traps as well. They work great. I use either corn or if I start catching rats, I switch to bait shrimp. The rats seem to leave the shrimp alone. I've caught tons of coons with these traps.
Posted By: Western

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232
Run the Eliminator plate and forget about it. The coons will give up once they fail to get feed out a few times

This made the biggest, quickest impact for me, but I also use the Dukes for the determined ones, don't even use a cage anymore, but I live on the propert so I can check often.

As mentioned before, I went to just corn and maybe a drop of vanilla extract as bait in the dukes, coons are there for corn and it is far and away the cleanest in the trap, I got coons with dog food, marshmallows, even fruit along with ants, str8 corn is just to easy and a supply right above our head.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 03:20 PM

This was simple and worked well for me.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 04:40 PM

I have always just used Vaseline or bearing grease on the feeder legs. Last year I put slinkys on the legs of one feeder for a trial run. Seems to have been working. Adding them to a second feeder next time it is empty.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
I have always just used Vaseline or bearing grease on the feeder legs. Last year I put slinkys on the legs of one feeder for a trial run. Seems to have been working. Adding them to a second feeder next time it is empty.

[Linked Image]

Do they work as good as pvc pipe? More entertaining I bet to watch.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.

[Linked Image]

Do they work as good as pvc pipe? More entertaining I bet to watch.

Definitely need a video of this in action....
Posted By: RutHunter76

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 08:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will certainly try all examples provided.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/18/18 09:16 PM

[Linked Image]

That is AWESOME! One of the coolest ideas I've seen on here in a long time. Talk about fun with the kiddos. As my dad would say "That's using your head for something besides a hat rack."
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/19/18 12:07 AM

Dukes...I can get a handful of varmints every day or two. Makes a big dent and then just maintain activity.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/21/18 02:44 AM

A combination of Duke traps and an accurate .17 HMR works for me. I live on the property I hunt...so I can employ both methods effectively.

Here (Deep East Texas) Squirrels are about as bad as the coons with respect to spinning out the corn from feeders. But Coons will also tear things up. I have steps on my feeder legs to aid in filling them...so I can't just put PVC over them. The Raccoons eventually get tired of being shot and depart for safer grounds. But traps are the most effective thing for me. I run my feeders year 'round and the corn dispensed is meant to benefit anything that finds it. I just can't have coons spinning out 3-4 lbs. per night just for the fun of it..when there is already corn on the ground.

I have tried some of the smaller cages and the Coons tear them up over time. The cages also impede the broadcast distance of the corn.

If I didn't live on the property I hunt...it would different, but I can put enough pressure on them to keep them at bay most of the time. I don't mind a couple of Coons getting up on the feeder from time to time...but I can't have 8-10 (sometimes more) at each feeder doing their thing.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Raccoon Problems - 12/21/18 04:49 AM

I like our Sweeny feeders. Only thing exposed is the spin plate so only pics of coons are a couple eating corn on the ground if the deer don't finish it. Our Monarch with varmint guards do a decent job of dispensing it. One has a little gap and we have caught a coon and squirrel in there but very rare.
Posted By: hellf7

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/01/19 09:40 PM

I'm sure its illegal but some people mix Golden Malrin with soda. They don't make it 20 feet.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/03/19 01:57 AM

Carpet tack strips wired to each leg of feeder
Posted By: Western

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/03/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by hellf7
I'm sure its illegal but some people mix Golden Malrin with soda. They don't make it 20 feet.

Printed on the front of Golden Malrin

"It is illegal to use this product with the
intention to kill raccoons, skunks,
opossums, coyotes, wolves, dogs, cats,
or any other non-target species"

Read the full label, this stuff is so hazardous, it isn't worth the contamination on your land and water for a coon
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/03/19 03:07 PM

Another vote for Dukes. We had a problem on our place for a bit. Few weeks of heavy trapping cleared it right up.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/07/19 05:23 PM

I had Kevin Weaver build me a coon proof skid for my Sweeney feeder. No more coon troubles.
Posted By: WILLIED72

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/07/19 09:23 PM

For protien feeders use a coonhood...ck em out at coonhood.com
Posted By: TLew

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/09/19 03:32 PM

Put out 12 traps last week in the morning, had 4 full that night. 4 other raccoons either didn't show up for dinner or got smart but they were back the next day.

Posted By: Parker

Re: Raccoon Problems - 01/11/19 04:27 AM

Marine grease works well on feeder legs. Lasts awhile and they end up giving up but you need to reapply every 2-3wks to begin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum