Texas Hunting Forum

Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/14/18 11:22 PM

This is a bizarre event, but certainly not likely to happen very often or to any of us, but I thought I would share because so many of us hunt properties with pumpjacks. Even though they may look dormant, many are on a system such that the pumpjack may start up quite unexpectedly to the unwary hunter in its immediate vicinity. Even if not fenced off (and many are not), it is not wise to be in contact with, under, or very close to pumpjacks, never mind the oil/tar spillage residue that will cling to your shoes if you get too close.

In this case, to coyote hunters followed their chase dogs into a well area that a coyote had gone. What attempting to retrieve the dogs, the pumpjack started, killing one man and injuring the other.

http://www.wbiw.com/local/archive/2...-injured-in-hunting-related-accident.php
https://www.mywabashvalley.com/news/one-dies-in-hunting-accident/1658954769
https://www.washtimesherald.com/new...dfec8e0-9fed-50a1-8e0c-c758faef395b.html
https://www.wthitv.com/content/news...hunting-in-Daviess-County-502733541.html
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/14/18 11:27 PM

PLAINVILLE — A Thursday afternoon accident took the life of one hunter and left another badly injured. The Daviess County Sheriff's Department reports that Mervin Dale Knepp,40, of Montgomery, and Lavon Joseph Wagler,18, Plainville, were coyote hunting near Plainville before 3 p.m. when their trained dogs chased a coyote under an oil well leased by Riverside Petroleum Company.

Knepp and Wagler then went into the pump housing to retrieve the dogs and the machinery, which stops and starts automatically, went into motion while the two were in the restricted area.

Wagler was transported to Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes where he is undergoing surgery on his leg. Knepp was transported to Daviess Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead from massive injuries to his entire body. Both were transported by Southwest Medical.

Assisting the Daviess County Sheriff's Department were the Plainville Fire Department, the Indiana Department of Conservation Law Enforcement Division and the Daviess County Coroner's Office.

Dang R.I.P. Sad deal. My mom used to climb on them and ride them as a kid.....the joys of growing up in west Texas.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 12:37 AM

Very poorly written story. What the hell is a pump housing. Sounds more like they were on the pump jack and it came on and they ended up getting caught between the arms and the weights.

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 01:02 AM

Yeah, HWY_MAN, that is what I am thinking. I pulled up several stories and I don't see "housing" anywhere in the pictures that coyotes, chase dogs, or people could go inside.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Very poorly written story. What the hell is a pump housing. Sounds more like they were on the pump jack and it came on and they ended up getting caught between the arms and the weights.

Same thoughts here.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 01:20 AM

From this photo it looks like a fairly new location and euqipment. Something does not sound right on this accident.
https://www.washtimesherald.com/new...eedcb.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 01:54 AM

You’d be surprised. I was taking some pictures of a buddy of mine from Dallas a few weeks ago with some Quail and dogs. He climbed up next to the pumpjack for a pic. I told him that thing starts without warning and he didn’t know. I grew up with one 50 yards from the house. I was threatened with my life if my mother ever saw me riding it.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 02:23 AM

Terrible situation. Equipment should always be considered dangerous. Hopefully a good reminder to the rest of us.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/15/18 09:28 AM

Tough deal to have to go through.
Posted By: Tophers

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/16/18 04:23 PM

That’s a horrible deal.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/16/18 04:53 PM

dang
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/17/18 01:39 AM

Entered the cage around the weights to retrieve a dog? confused Small area in there, hardly big enough for 2 men.

Just reach over and grab him or kick him in the arse until he gets himself out. I agree, there’s more to this or the retrieving the dog is an excuse. Sad deal
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/17/18 07:07 PM

ummmm ok, thats not weird at all
Posted By: Western

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/17/18 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Same thoughts here.

Me too and I don't know crap about oil, but familiar with all the "grasshopper" dealy thiny's, what I thought of. peep
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/17/18 08:59 PM

The housing would be "housing" around the pumpjack so the fence or enclosure. 99.9% of the folks that read that story aren't going to be oilfield so that's what I would think

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/18/18 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by z71dustin

The housing would be "housing" around the pumpjack so the fence or enclosure. 99.9% of the folks that read that story aren't going to be oilfield so that's what I would think

That would be the guards.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/18/18 01:59 PM

Yep. Stay away from tank batteries and pumpjacks and you will be just fine.
Posted By: Baldpate

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/18/18 06:26 PM

I'm just sayin' that I might know some young and dumb college students that loved to ride these things, fueled by plenty of cervesa. Lucky to be here.
Sad story.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/19/18 04:32 PM

I know that but the author and 99.9% of the readers don't and it doesn't matter for the story except for the .1%
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/21/18 01:14 AM

a human cannot win a battle with a pumpjack. Several people are killed by them every year and it is a grisly way to go.
Also never climb up a tank battery stair to use as a high point. There are some extremely poison gasses potentially venting from them. Some will kill you in a few minutes.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/21/18 02:09 AM

Prayers Up, and goo input from the members

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/21/18 02:48 AM

I know that but the author and 99.9% of the readers don't and it doesn't matter for the story except for the .1%

I certainly did not. We just considered it a "fence."
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/21/18 10:18 PM

Made a 37 year career in the exploration and production side of a major oil company. Our pumpjacks were always surrounded by a sturdy fence with warning signs all over the place (including "Danger- Equipment Starts Automatically).

Smaller, independent operators don't always take as many precautions...don't know all that I need to know about this incident.

Regardless, one man died and another was injured. No way to put lipstick on that pig. Prayers up for the families of those involved.

Mark

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/21/18 10:25 PM

Some will kill you in a few minutes.

Seconds!

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/21/18 10:28 PM

a human cannot win a battle with a pumpjack.

It won't even know your there.
Posted By: nak

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/22/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 218 Bee

Made a 37 year career in the exploration and production side of a major oil company. Our pumpjacks were always surrounded by a sturdy fence with warning signs all over the place (including "Danger- Equipment Starts Automatically).

Smaller, independent operators don't always take as many precautions...don't know all that I need to know about this incident.

Regardless, one man died and another was injured. No way to put lipstick on that pig. Prayers up for the families of those involved.

Mark

The majority are sitting on a metal frame that might be has high as 2'. This forms a space underneath that critters love. On the larger ones, there is also room between the pedestal and the counter weights for a yot or dog to get behind.

I've seen a few fenced, but it would be a very small percentage here in Tx. If there is anything, it usually more like a couple of rails, designed to to keep cattle out and serve as a warning barrier to workers. If you climbed through to try to get a dog out, the rails would make escape harder if it came on.

[Linked Image]

I've been around them and worked on them most of my life..I'd never consider getting near one without pulling the disconnect.

I've seen injuries, but most have involved getting a hand/arm in the belts.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/22/18 08:17 PM

angel Prayers... Foundry worked at twas one if not the most dangerous places ta work in East texas...

flag
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Bizarre Hunting Accident - Pumpjack - 12/26/18 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by colt.45
angel Prayers... Foundry worked at twas one if not the most dangerous places ta work in East texas...

flag

What be that foundry in ET?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum