Texas Hunting Forum

what is your favorite hunt?

Posted By: Whack n stack

what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 05:23 PM

there are lots of different animals to hunt out there and many different ways to do so (spot and stalk, blind hunting, etc.) so of all the hunts y'all have done, what is your favorite?

mine would have to be coyote hunting, just something about watching that dog/dogs come out of nowhere to the call while trying to stay concealed from their keen eyes. followed second by wing shooting (doves/ducks)

if i ever make it out west hunting my answer may change.
Posted By: ckat

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 05:28 PM

Spot and stalk is definitely may favorite... Prey of choice as of now is aoudad/mule deer (tie) then whitetails. Sheep hunting is high on the "ain't gonna happen" bucket list...
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 06:14 PM

my favorite way to hunt is to hunt in a semi-arid environment spot and stalking game, preferably mule deer, and sheep. Aoudad sheep hunting is probably my favorite as they combine all these aspects, the type of hunting, terrain, etc. if I had to limit myself to just one style of hunting.

I enjoy rattling for whitetail and I do enjoy sitting over a feeder in a tripod with a bow in hand. Not the most physically challenging or some would say the most sporting, but hey, its still fun and a nice change of pace after busting your hump chasing elk and mule deer.

I do enjoy a good dove hunt as much as anything when the whitewings are flying thick and low.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 06:17 PM

Spot and stalk. Grew up hunting in NW Arkansas and Eastern OK, so most of my experience was with lock-on and climbing tree stands. Have been out west several times for mule deer and Pronghorn, and really enjoyed the experience.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 06:18 PM

Long range elk.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 06:26 PM

IfI could relive any hunt it would be Squirrel hunts with my Dad, Uncles and cousins. Uncle Dud had the squirrel dog and we would hunt together every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Favorite like others will say is big game hunting where you can spot and stalk. Mostly that is for deer and elk in the west. It is a blast and can be very effective and fun.

When conditions are right it can be doe for whitetail in other places though. I slipped in on a bedded whitetail doe and shot her in her bed at 7 yards with a bow,conditions were light rain and consistent breeze. I have also shot a few others slipping through the woods under similar conditions getting in close to deer is fun.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 08:01 PM

Kudu are a blast to spot and stalk. In terms of a low stress, very social group hunt, I think pronghorn are great.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 08:43 PM

Glassing for Mule deer in West Texas, eastern Alberta or western Kansas would be my favorite way to hunt. Find the right buck then figure out how to get to him. Spot and stalk whitetail hunts in open country would also be on my list. For whitetails, I enjoy the challenge of picking out one buck and hunting for him.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 08:43 PM

Probably dove hunting when they are flying.
Posted By: rickym

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 08:44 PM

Dove and duck hunting.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 09:53 PM

Plains game in a free-range/concession-type situation, southern Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique. The variety, how much you can learn and experience...there's nothing else like it on the planet.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 10:06 PM

Spring turkey for me. Followed closely by elk hunting.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 10:24 PM

Anything that gets me out of a deer blind over a feeder. Not sure what's coming over me, but I am not enjoying WT hunting like I used to. Boots on the ground, spot and stalk is what I love. Red Stag, Elk, mule deer, and aoudad to name a few. I really enjoy hiking and glassing.
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 10:29 PM

Cape buffalo, without doubt. The hours and kilometers spent tracking, the final tactical approach, the "well, here we go" feeling as you slip the safety. Sight picture, shooting breath, squeeeeeeze. The slam of recoil, cycling another round into the chamber, getting a second bullet into the engine room. Waiting for the dust to settle and playing the shots back over with the PH while it does. The follow-up; every sense alive...and finding the old boy...

It's been three years since my last buffalo. I'm thinking this old man might have one more buff hunt in him...

Mark

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 10:39 PM

1. Chasing big mule deer
2. Spot and stalk kudu hunting
3. Namibian plains game
4. Free range aoudad in W TX
5. Varmints
Posted By: Blank

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 10:43 PM

Spot and stalk hunting for anything. Love to just get out in Nature and hike about in the mountains.

Elephant and Cape buffalo hunting is the most exciting hunting of all.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
Anything that gets me out of a deer blind over a feeder. Not sure what's coming over me, but I am not enjoying WT hunting like I used to. Boots on the ground, spot and stalk is what I love. Red Stag, Elk, mule deer, and aoudad to name a few. I really enjoy hiking and glassing.

I got burned out hunting WT several years ago. I’m just finally starting to get the notion back of “well maybe I would want to shoot another WT for the wall”. It’s taken awhile to get back here though

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/08/18 11:32 PM

I can easily see Cape buffalo being my favorite, if I ever manage to get it done.

I’m not at all burned out on whitetail, even hunting in blinds over feeders, though I can understand how one could get there. For me, I just decided I’d rather spend the money hunting things of more value to myself. Big bulls do it for me.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 01:16 AM

I too have been taking a break from WT deer, and doing exotic hunts. I wont say they are my favorite, but are a change. So far, they have been spot and stalk. I'm getting back to WT hunting some, and have always spot and stalked them, and also find their trails and still hunt along them and on structure. A successful Alaskan Moose hunt would be at the very top of my list.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 01:16 AM

My latest thrill
I like sitting in one of my tripods at night and waiting for the pigs to come running in. I hunt them under a light with 00 buckshot.
At night they make a big ruckus as they squeal and snort on the way in, you can hear them coming a few hundred yards away. it is kind of eerie and exciting all at once. The way they generally come in is running right under the tripod just 8 feet below me.
When I get them gathered up I lay into them and use every round. The first shot usually hits a few of them and they scatter, and then I get a couple on the run.
Tracking down a wounded one at night is a whole new game too.
Man that is fun.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 02:22 AM

Shooting hundreds of gopher/ground squirrels in the spring in Montana with a .22.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 02:24 AM

Shooting hundreds of gopher/ground squirrels in the spring in Montana with a .22.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

That sound fun. I may have to try that
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 03:28 AM

Duck hunting for sure!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 03:39 AM

Nothing compares to hunting wild bird with good dogs.
Posted By: Sader762

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:14 AM

[Linked Image]

So far this is my favorite.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:14 AM

Squirrel hunting for me is the best! Nothing is more fun than hunting & eating squirrel.
Posted By: tex70

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 05:50 AM

Haven't done it in a while but have to agree with Searcher on the hog hunting at night
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 02:07 PM

Stalking through the woods and successfully harvesting any animal is truly the essentials of the hunting experience. When I lived back east and in Colorado and had access to large tracts of land I would enter the woods and adjust my high energy chemistry to 2 steps and pause then 2 steps and pause moving ever so slowly at a snails pace. Not too often but several times I harvested deer so close I could have spit on them. Knowing I could get this close was a very rewarding experience.

Next wood be Turkey calling and predator calling.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 02:58 PM

Wait I said dove but I forgot about Prairie Dog hunting, lots of shooting and no gutting, plus plenty of beer drinking.. banana2
Posted By: papa45

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 03:21 PM

Locating, calling and convincing a bull elk to come find me.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:20 PM

ones with d wife, kids, bro, sis, parents, family, pard...Ones share with Loved ones spending time tagether.

scratch as pappy say"s: : " Tis the memorries that make a Trophy hunt. "
huntsolo too many times..
flag
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:30 PM

Antelope hunting in wyoming is my favorite!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sader762
[Linked Image]

So far this is my favorite.
That has got to be a blast.
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:47 PM

The most fun I have ever had on a hunt was in Wyoming chasing Mule deer. Glass until you find one your interested in then try to figure out how to get into shooting range. You also have to be in decent shape to go up and down those mountains. The last day of the hunt it was snowing and that even made it funner. I came up empty but had a blast. Way funner than sitting in a blind staring at a feeder.
Posted By: bp3

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:50 PM

Mule deer in Big Bend area and panhandle of Texas. rifle
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 04:52 PM

Favorite is when I'm seeing animals. It doesn't matter if I get one, or if they are all too small to shoot, just that they are there and I'm able to look at them. Africa is great for this, but caribou and mule deer are also a lot of fun. Of all the places that I've hunted mule deer, Eastern Montana during the rut was by far the most amazing!!! I saw 93 bucks in the first 3 days before shooting my 28 inch 4x4 and passed up at least half a dozen 4x4's or better every day. Where I live now in East Texas, it's probably my least favorite way to hunt. Sitting in a blind and waiting for something to show up. If it wasn't on my own land and a five minute walk from my house to my blind, I probably wouldn't hunt whitetails at all.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 07:52 PM

EddieWalker see ya have the Tyler area listed as your 10-20...
Had the creek, with deer food plot & feeders just South of d house.
83 & for years before was buck only county. We tried ta get just one doe tag, twas told not enough deer. So did the leasing, 24-7-365 hog hunts got me inta that, had place ta deer hunt, dispite what was told, plenty deer. Started seeing signs of hogs by creek & deer food plots, hogs followed creek, hear spinner, find food plots. So switched ta hog hunts. WMA opened ta public. Best do-it-yourself hog hunts since got on first lease, were did me night hunts after deer season with 1,100acres.
Even when river, (sabine) was up, son & i hit WMA & waided from island ta island, & whin road closed, down ta campsites, took boat & hit high areas, place was like big lake, the walk-a-bouts learned higher areas. Helpen out with the hog problem rofl never had problems finding hogs, work begain geting em out.
confused2 Smith county still 4 deer ? Took me bow in hand took a stand for archery deer hunts at WMA, old school, if did deer hunt around house used me .45 Kentucky...

flag
Posted By: Dukslayer26

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/09/18 10:42 PM

I grew up only spot and stalk hunting and love it. The past few yrs i have got into hunting from tree stands and ground blinds. I will say it’s pretty darn exciting having a big buck appear out of nowhere, or hearing the leaves rustle and a doe walking by with a buck hot on her trail!!
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Squirrel hunting for me is the best! Nothing is more fun than hunting & eating squirrel.

The older I get, the more I love chasing squirrel. I've been fortunate enough to have been on some exciting big game hunts, waterfowl hunts, upland hunts, you name it. When it comes down to just a good ole time in the woods, I enjoy hunting squirrel with a .22 as much as anything.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 01:49 AM

I really enjoy all hunting, but seems I've spent the majority of my hunting in bars, in pursuit of the two-legged does.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 02:03 AM

Quail hunting in south Texas. I bet Oxner agrees.
Posted By: texfork

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Long range elk.

^^^ what Sneaky said .
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 02:30 PM

Lion hunting with hounds and calling coyotes.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 02:57 PM

Bugling Bulls
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 03:11 PM

Glassing for big West Texas mule deer. I have only done it once so far, but just booked my second trip to the Davis Mountains for next season. Can't wait.

A close second would be early January whitetail hunting here in South Texas. Catch the cold weather just right, feed miles of roads and senderos, and hunt them all day.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
Lion hunting with hounds and calling coyotes.
Adios,
Gary

You hunt coyotes? I didn't know that. roflmao
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/10/18 03:29 PM

I've only been a handful of times, but duck hunting a small slough with a couple buddies is a great time for sure! Being from East Tx, and hunting the SHNF, I've done a lot of stalking in the woods and that is a blast. I cant wwait for the opportunity to get out west and stalk sheep and mulies
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/11/18 04:09 AM

My favorite out of my norm is bear hunting. 1st trip was to Alaska for 8 or 10 days of spot and stalk with my younger brother. Saw a few but nothing massive. Left there with no bears but great memories. Last trip 2 years ago was Alberta Canada just outside of Fort McMurray. Got 2 really nice black bear with the 45-70. I hope to do it again sometime.
As for normal Texas hunting, I love hunting coyotes and hogs more than anything else I guess.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/11/18 02:31 PM

Not very well and a lot slower than I used to......
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/11/18 02:47 PM

Doing it with friends.
Posted By: Western

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/11/18 02:48 PM

Long range elk.

I prefer "short range" elk hunts grin

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/11/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Western
Long range elk.

Truth be told, I’ll take them anyway I can get them.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/12/18 04:12 AM

Spot and stalk.
Posted By: Western

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/12/18 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Western
Long range elk.

Truth be told, I’ll take them anyway I can get them.

up Preach it reverend!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/12/18 09:53 AM

Mine has to be dove hunting with friends.....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: what is your favorite hunt? - 12/12/18 09:02 PM

Spot and stalk for deer; elk, hogs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum