Texas Hunting Forum

Electronic Hearing Protection

Posted By: duckhunter175

Electronic Hearing Protection - 12/06/18 05:11 PM

Looking into some 'inside the ear' style hearing protection. I love my Howard Leights for range days but I'm looking for something to use while duck hunting and while spot and stalk style hunting since most of my rifles have a brake.

Hearing amplification when not blocking sound would be a plus. I'd like to know what other hunters and shooters are running.

Looks like the top competitors are (in no particular order)
1. Westone Defendear Shooter
2. Soundgear Hunter
3. Etymotic Gunsport
4. Walker's 'Silencer' - rechargeable

Who's run em and what did you like/dislike??
Posted By: TLew

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection - 12/08/18 05:57 AM

I can't do over-the-ear hearing protection...it screws with your cheek weld on some guns, it's awful in the heat because you get hotter, your ears start to hurt after being smushed down for too long, etc.. I spent a lot of time looking at in ear, and what I found was that most of them in the market are bad due to compromises.

With that thought in mind, I refused to spend $300-500 on premium products like Etymotic. Instead, I grabbed some Pro Ears Stealth 28 off of Amazon and they work decently well if the wind isn't blowing over 20. The biggest gripe I have is that I wish the foam was more malleable to contour to the ear canal better, but I believe the stiffness is for the 28 NRR.

The big thing that turned me onto these was the price tag ($60 on amazon) and the fact that the battery is rechargeable with a USB micro cable. Many of the in-ear products use hearing aid batteries, and once you expose them to air they will degrade whether the device is turned on or not. These are much better from that regard.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection - 12/08/18 04:51 PM

Foamies for duck hunting and get rid of the brake (self inflicted pain?) and get a suppressor.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection - 12/08/18 06:07 PM

I got the decibullz with percussive filler, as soon as I use them, I'll update you. I got the original decibullz, and like that custom mold.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection - 12/08/18 06:12 PM

I have a set of electronic inside the ear plugs. I got them at Cabela's, the package looked like the Walker but they are way cheaper. You get used to wearing after a while. Bring extra batteries.

M
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection - 12/19/18 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I got the decibullz with percussive filler, as soon as I use them, I'll update you. I got the original decibullz, and like that custom mold.

So I got to use these finally, and I like them. I recommend them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum