Texas Hunting Forum

Gun for a Javalina hunt.

Posted By: Buckskin

Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 02:13 AM

I posted this in the hog section but think I might get more opinions and help in the general section.
I won a Javalina Hunt to a ranch for two. My wife is going with me and shooting her 6.5 TC that she uses for deer also. My deer rifle is a WSM 270 and I'm thinking it is probably to big for Javalinas. I also have a 223 ranch ruger rifle that I've shot hogs around our farm with.
I have other rifles and wondering what would be the best for Javalina. I do bow hunt but this is a guided hunt and it was stated hunter furnish their own rifles.
Any suggestions are appreciated. I thank you in advance.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 03:45 AM

More fun to hunt with a bow IMO. Or take a pistol. I killed one with a snub 32 long colt at 7 yards.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 05:57 AM

Yeah, I have gotten out of the blind and walked up on one at 5 yards. Maybe closer. 30.06 works fine... They aren't like pigs. 223 or 270 would be fine. Depends on setup. You aren't exactly maximizing meat typically. If so, use a rock or 223.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 11:57 AM

I have pickled a couple wit compound and longbows but never shot one with a gun. I don't think the 223 would be undergunned at all.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 02:00 PM

.223 is plenty for the javileeeeeeeeen!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 02:07 PM

I killed a few with my 39A in 22lr.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 02:29 PM

Javelina look bigger than they are. They are only about 18" thick. You could use a .22 if legal. Great bow targets. Depending where you go hunt they can be very spookie, 20 yard shots most of the time.
P.S. If you shoot one, don't handle it to much till it cools down. This will give the fleas time to leave. They also have a big sent gland on their back.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 03:19 PM

I'd suggest bow or pistol. They're fairly easy to stalk within easy range as they have very poor eyesight. Just stay downwind and use whatever cover is available. Unlike hogs, if you put one down on a corn fed sendero, just stay put for a few minutes and the others will usually come back to the corn.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 03:26 PM

The funnest I have done was spot and stalk with a bow. Have shot them with 22, 223, 243, 270.

They are small animals 20-30 lbs or so most of them, you don't need a big gun.
Posted By: Buckskin

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 08:36 PM

Ok guys I'm thinking I'll go with my 223 in about a 55 grain bullet, I think they are gonna be over bait ( corn I'm thinking) the pictures I saw of the hunt looked around 40-50 yards out which is ( should be an easy shot ) I take it one would want a heart/ lung shot placement. I want to try and do a skull similar to what I do with our bigger feral hogs around here or I would take a head shot. Instead of the 6.5 TC my wife shoots I might set her up with the 22-250 I use for varmits as it has a better scope and she can have more shots without breaking the gun and reloading as with the Thompson Contender.
Thanks to you all for the help I do appreciate it. Ray
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 09:52 PM

Be careful the vital area isn't very big, it goes from shoulder to guts real fast!
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 10:56 PM

Dumbest animal I’ve ever hunted
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/06/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Be careful the vital area isn't very big, it goes from shoulder to guts real fast!

This^^^^^^^^^^^^shootem at the white stripe right behind the shoulder. No heads shots you will want the skull for euro mount.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/07/18 01:50 AM

What 7Mag said...shoot for that white stripe.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/07/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
.223 is plenty for the javileeeeeeeeen!

Yep, what he said.....
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/07/18 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by White Falcon
You could use a .22 if legal.

Yep, 22 Rimfire is legal. Here are the appropriate quotes from the Outdoor Annual.

Game Animals...
white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, gray or cat squirrel, red or fox squirrel, collared peccary or javelina, and alligators.

Firearms...
Game animals [snip]may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:
Rimfire Ammunition (of any caliber) may NOT be used to hunt white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, or pronghorn.

So, gray or cat squirrel, red or fox squirrel, collared peccary or javelina, and alligators can be taken with rimfire ammunition.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/10/18 03:01 AM

.223 is more than enough for Javi's. Wear rubber gloves when handling them. That musk is difficult to get rid of.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/10/18 04:09 PM

AR
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/10/18 04:27 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/10/18 06:55 PM

I shot mine one and only Javi with 30-30 and iron sights - great fun to hunt!
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/11/18 12:24 AM

.22 mag is a lot of fun and will kill them dead.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Gun for a Javalina hunt. - 12/13/18 02:17 PM

I'd pack in a 50 BMG, just to be safe clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum