Texas Hunting Forum

Colorado public land elk hunting

Posted By: wwhunter

Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 01:37 AM

Planning my first trip for next year and just looking fir any and all information from people who have done it.thanks
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 01:41 AM

What are you looking for? Number of people here have been out there hunting.

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:11 AM

Anything really besides the obvious tags and firearm. Anything that might get typically over looked and just any suggestions as stated it’ll be my first time ever so literally anything will be beneficial
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:13 AM

My first tip is don’t listen to people’s advise online.

IME they will have you overloaded walking way too many miles looking in places animals don’t live

For the record I’ve been to Colorado 5 times, Arizona once and Wyoming once

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:15 AM

Not looking for anyone’s favorite spots or anything along those lines.gear suggestions things along those lines

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:16 AM

Yeah I was gonna try and be realistic with the suggestions
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:26 AM

Lived in Colorado for 15 years, killed that many elk I suppose. Unit 48 by Leadville is a good one. I never left there w/o an elk. Sometimes it was last day but always killed elk. It started to become a 2 points area though so could only draw there every other year. There are many good areas though.

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by wwhunter
Not looking for anyone’s favorite spots or anything along those lines.gear suggestions things along those lines

Boots,pack and frame cold weather light weight clothes, lightweight rifle and and 10x42,binoculars, tent, sleeping bag, knives and gps.

I hunt either in archery or second rifle. Lots of units are good.

If your a deer hunter you probably own 75% of the gear needed already
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
My first tip is don’t listen to people’s advise online.

IME they will have you overloaded walking way too many miles looking in places animals don’t live

For the record I’ve been to Colorado 5 times, Arizona once and Wyoming once

Some truth to this but at the end of the day you have to balance risk and what you are doing. There are tons of packing guides. Get a few of them and plan out based on how you are hunting. Do you have a camp and just striking out for the day? Are you planning on hiking 5 days and hunting as you go? Number one thing is understand the mountain will always win and being in good physical shape will trump any gear.

Tracking shot animals in the mountain is far harder than Texas, espically if you are hunting slopes. A tree that looks 15 yards tall in the glass may be 50 yards tall up close. This group of three trees look different based on which angle you are at. If you shoot an elk mark your shooting spot with something highly reflective and range where you shot the animal. Take pics with your phone. Write down notes. When you start looking use the reflective target as something to range against.

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 03:07 AM

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I do believe I have most everything I’d need besides a few. My main concern is camping on public land any suggestions as far as that goes. Tents suggestions and essentials? Thanks
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 03:11 AM

Go with a group that are all younger than you. It's so much easier. up

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 03:13 AM

I use a willow pass 4 person Coleman tent. I don’t hunt late season. It gets down in the low teens at nite where I hunt. On a air mattress I don’t get cold, I normally sleep in my clothes.

One unit I hunt I can use ATV and pack my gear up then hunt on foot
Posted By: djs303

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 04:03 AM

A few things not to skimp on are wool socks with quality boots, binoculars and spotting scope. I have seen people buy the cheap hiking boots and blow them out the first day of walking on the mountains. Binoculars and spotting scope are used a lot more as you are looking long distances to spot animals. Inferior optics will stress your eyes and give you a headache.

As for tent camping, I would use a canvas tent. I have a Kodiac Canvas tent with the enclosed awning. I use the awning for my kitchen area. It will sleep 2-3 persons with gear. These tents are heavy so if your packing in to set up camp this wouldn't be an option,

Kodiac Tents
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 03:04 PM

Planning my first trip for next year and just looking fir any and all information from people who have done it.thanks

Just go, everything else works it’s self out. It’s so simple, don’t let it intimidate you.

Basics are map/nav skills or GPS and water.

Two basic kinds of western hunting, bivy and truck camp, your gear list is just a comfort list essentially.

Feel free to PM me, more then happy to set up a call and walk you through everything from app strategy, gear and ever hunt strategies. I hunt out west in 2-3 states every year, and get to test a lot of gear
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Just go, everything else works it’s self out. It’s so simple, don’t let it intimidate you.

Two basic kinds of western hunting, bivy and truck camp, your gear list is just a comfort list essentially.

Feel free to PM me, more then happy to set up a call and walk you through everything from app strategy, gear and ever hunt strategies. I hunt out west in 2-3 states every year, and get to test a lot of gear

^^^^^^^^^ That’s an invitation you shouldn’t pass up.
Posted By: Western

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

^^^^^^^^^ That’s an invitation you shouldn’t pass up.

X's 2 and BOBO even takes credit cards grin
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 05:38 PM

Colorado public land gets a lot of pressure. People come from all over the country to hunt it, and they have been doing it for decades. The most common thing that they all have in common, is that they are there more for the social aspect of it then actually hunting. Find out where they cannot get their four wheelers to, and where it's going to take some effort to get to. That's where the animals will be. I've found that once you get a couple miles into a Wilderness area, the animals start to appear. Go another couple of miles, and you start to see antlers. Get up on a ridge before daylight and use good quality binoculars to do your hunting. Keep looking until you see something, or move to another location to glass from. Hunting the mountains means lots of hiking in the dark and glassing in the light.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 05:51 PM

Get in shape. I ran a lot before I went and because of that did not have much issue with the altitude. If you are going to pack a lot of gear, assemble that pack (or a training pack) with the approximate weight and start hiking with it.

Break in whatever gear you intend to take well ahead of time, especially boots and packs. If new to GPS, get it now and start practicing/familiarizing yourself with it.

If day hunting, clothing is not hugely important as you can always suffer for a couple of hours before you get back to camp (too hot or too cold). If you are going to hike and hunt the whole time, buy a reputable brand with multiple layers that you can shed. When you are moving you don't need more than 1-2 layers down to about 20 degrees. Prepare for everything from 0 to 80 degrees, and sun to snow.

Figure out where you are going, and if possible go scout it out. I expected to be glassing canyons/slopes but our area was heavily forested and required a different approach in most areas.

Most of all, have fun! It's beautiful country, take it all in.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 06:31 PM

Best way "for me," to get in shape was to walk up and down my local high school football stadium. I did not do a certain number of times, but did a time. 30 minutes, and wearing the boots I was going to hunt in. At first I was able to do 7 repertistions. 6 weeks later I was up to 17 in the same 30 minutes. When we got to the mountains, I was in shape and ready to enjoy my hunt. Others who walked a track carrying their backpacks were not ready for the mountain. For me anyway, it was actually harder on my legs coming back down the stairs than going up them. And you have to come back down the mountain, so prepare yourself. Anyway, this training works for me. Six weeks worth gets me in shape.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 11/30/18 07:08 PM

RE Mr T's post....an old friend who had lived in Denver and traveled the Rockies as a gun mfg'er sales rep, guided for elk during Season...used to talk about Running ALL the old Bronco's Stadium on I-70's steps, starting & finishing with a lap around the stadium per 2-3 hour session to get in shape, starting in the early summer. He was in his 40's at the time and when we hunted together. walked me down many times down WT hunting in West Texas. ...and supposedly slept in snow banks when he got caught in a unexpected blizzard. Hunted the Uncompaghre area as I recall, and treated his crew to a couple days in the naturally heated pool at Glenwood Springs after they came off the mountain.
Ron
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/01/18 04:03 PM

Only thing mentioned in all above is disagree with is the statement that clothing is not hugely important. The right clothes can save your life. Leave the cotton at home. Wool, underlayers and get some good outers that don't absorb every drop of moisture.

Also you can draw a Wyoming general elk tag with 1-2 PP. We have less pressure, and elk unfortunately, and good hunting.

Don't be afraid to come up and hunt.A partner is recommended, for safety sake and packing help.
Throw a chainsaw in your truck, beetle killed trees fall all the time and can block you in.
Camping on the NF is easy, find a spot and setup camp.

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/01/18 06:10 PM

This is 100% true Eddie Walker

We were in an area this past season that allowed ATV’s that bordered a wilderness area that was separated by a river. Every evening we spotted a group of elk about a mile across the river. If any of us were willing to get wet, we could have gone over there and killed one, but none of us wanted to cross the river or pack out an elk that distance. With horses it would have been cake.

It’s been my experience that most people who dole out advise on the mountains have either never hunted them or only been once. Like Bobo said, it’s easy, don’t freak out over it. I read threads all the time on forums and you would think these guys were planning a lunar expedition or something rivaling Columbus’s journey to the new world.

It can be as hard or as easy as you want it to be. You can pull up into a spot with minimal gear and have a good chance at being successful. You can have all the cool trendy gear and be successful too.

Just go and have fun if your serious about it.

Most people get on these forums asking about it to hear negative aspects of the trip and then use thst to justify it to themselves for never going

Fortune favors the brave. Get out there

Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/01/18 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Best way "for me," to get in shape was to walk up and down my local high school football stadium. I did not do a certain number of times, but did a time. 30 minutes, and wearing the boots I was going to hunt in. At first I was able to do 7 repertistions. 6 weeks later I was up to 17 in the same 30 minutes. When we got to the mountains, I was in shape and ready to enjoy my hunt. Others who walked a track carrying their backpacks were not ready for the mountain. For me anyway, it was actually harder on my legs coming back down the stairs than going up them. And you have to come back down the mountain, so prepare yourself. Anyway, this training works for me. Six weeks worth gets me in shape.

Very good advise here, works for me as well, and i have tried both.

Where you seem to suffer the most is Down hill/Side hill, with a load. Keep in mind, a rear elk quarter weights about 85 Lbs.

Like someone posted above, leave the cotton clothes at home, spend the money and get wool base or any of the new synthetic stuff available on the market today.

I've been 4 years in a row, all DIY pack in trips, so if you have any questions just shoot me a PM. I also have a pretty good gear list that i can email to you.

But all in all, have fun!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/02/18 04:24 PM

Just to repeat myself, once you get out there, you have to be willing to get up hours before first daylight and be sitting on the mountain glassing when you can see the first hints of light. I spent the money for 10x Swarvoski binoculars years ago, and I think that was probably the best money on any equipment that I've ever bought. There are other brands that are probably as good, but I don't think there is anything out there that is better.

Wear whatever keeps you warm and dry. People have been doing this for centuries. Get quality, but don't feel like you have to buy the most expensive clothing out there. For pants, I found that 100% polyester dries out the fastest when wet. Use sock liners and wool socks. It doesn't matter what brand they are, wool is wool. There are so many decent jackets out there that it's impossible to say what is best, just look at a lot of them before buying. I like to go to Cabela's for something like this since they have so many brands to look at. In the Boy Scouts, we learned about layering, which is more important than what brand of gear you have.

Be careful of boots. Expensive boots doesn't always mean water proof or that they will last. I've learned the hard way that they will all leak on you long before the tread wears out. The stitching will wear away from climbing over rocks and then start to fall apart on you. I currently don't even have a pair of good hunting boots, so I would go to Cabela's and look at everything that they have before deciding on anything.

Sleeping bag should be rated for minus 20 at least. The rating is what you should be able to live at if it gets that cold, but just like tent ratings should always be cut in half, think the same thing about sleeping bag ratings. If you are going to backpack, tent and sleeping bag need to be as light as possible. Never bring a change of clothes. Never bring anything extra if you are backpacking. Plan on smelling really bad, and getting cleaned up when you are done. To cook, I bring a small wire screen that I can put a very light coffee mug on to heat water. Mountain House freeze dried food is all that I carry. Two meals a day, nothing else. I've gone as long as 6 days without seeing another human. If you go to where the animals are, you won't see very many people.
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/03/18 03:27 PM

Get the Colorado Fish and Game rule book. You can probably get this years copy. Some rules have changed, lots of roads and trails have been closed, some maps do not show them. Learn it Know it Live it. We went to years ago and the Game division peeps where writing lots of tickets. We didn't get fined, talked to several that had been fined.
We hunted 551 Sargents area, east of Gunnisson just off Monarch Pass, had good luck on elk in the 4th season, elk there are not plentiful but they're there
GoodLuck
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/03/18 04:09 PM

Right now is a good time to watch for gear deals. I call good 35-50% off retail

Camofire.com
Campsaver.com
Backcountry.com

Essentially a basic start up kit

Backpacking Stove-
Sleeping bag-
Pack-
Sleeping pad-
Tent-
Clothing-
Boots-

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/03/18 04:14 PM

Thanks for all the info guys getting a list of basics together
Posted By: PMK

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/03/18 06:40 PM

lots of good inputs so far.

based on my trips to CO or NM over the past 39 years ... get in shape early, over hydrate before heading to high altitudes, good boots & socks are vitally important. Get comfortable with shooting at longer distances and know your limitations on your accurate range & ballistics of whatever rifle/caliber you intend on using. Good glass (scope and binoculars) are also critical. Pack as light as possible, water weighs a lot when you are carrying for a day (or longer). Dress in layers, cold in the morning, warming throughout the day plus exerting energy walking/hiking, don't overheat, take your time. Scout out where you plan on hunting, Google Earth is your friend for checking out an area from the comfort of a computer months in advance.
Posted By: NVC--

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/15/18 02:56 AM

Purchase Navionics for your phone. This will help you find/locate any private land that is restricted or making public land land locked. Study land terrain and search for any areas on maps that you think are worth glassing that have good vantage points. The time of the year or season you go will help determine the elevation you should be looking for. Early season- hunt up high. Late season- hunt lower.

The season will also determine what type of tent I would recommend. Early seasons you can get away with a small 2 or 3 person tent for yourself. Later season A canvas wall tent with wood burning stove. We have been lucky and the areas we hunt are relatively crime free so a few amenities being left behind at camp are pretty safe. Get you a MSR or JetBoil stove to go along with some Mountain House meals (breakfast and dinner). Have plenty of water or water purification tablets or drops...I found running river water the best water I have ever tasted.

Plan your hunt with zero expectations. Have fun and unless you are experienced plan on mountain hikes to be much harder that anything you expected (or at least for my fat @$*)...ha.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/15/18 02:51 PM

I grew up in CO and have personally shot 25 elk and have been in on the taking of over 100 others. The OP is welcome to send me a PM if he wants and 'll try and point him in the right direction.

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/15/18 03:01 PM

Have some orange or other brightly colored flagging with you to mark your game's trail for return trip to pack it out. Pull your flagging when you make the last trip out.
You can get by with a cheap pack frame but have a decent harness and shoulder strap system for it.

Learn to read a paper map and have one with you in the field, phones and GPS can go dead, mineralized soils and areas can cause a GPS to give false readings, low batteries too.
Make sure someone knows where you will be hunting, leave a note in camp or write it down in your truck and let your family and hunting partners know.
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/15/18 10:51 PM

lots of great info. Im taking notes as well

Re: Colorado public land elk hunting - 12/16/18 03:11 PM

A chainsaw is almost a given up here now , lots of downed trees and dead trees blowing down. You may have to cut your way out on a road.
Firewood can be gathered and or dead trees cut for camp use without a permit.

Lots of guys come up and hunt in jeans and their regular blind hunting clothes, leave your cotton clothes at home. You need some merino wool underlayers and some sort of outer that is at least water resistant. Camo patterns are not so important as the right material for your clothes .
As stated above Camofire and Blackovis will have deals before you come up, get on their email list and they'll send a reminder every day on the deals.

A sturdy tent because you might get a wet snow storm while on the trip, it can happen any time from Sept to late Nov.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum