Texas Hunting Forum

Deer lease humor.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 11:02 AM

I know some here are all about managing, growing, and killing the biggest bucks possible. I'm just never that serious all the time, have a hard time paying attention to any one thing for too long, and am basically lazy.

I came across this picture from a lease I was on for many, many years and my brother and some other guys just lost the place due to it being sold and marketed for splitting up into smaller tracts. This was my idea and most customers and guests we took seemed to enjoy it. I particularly loved the somewhat slower witted adults who would, after bouncing for 45 minutes on a two-track, stare blankly and ask "What's that?", to which you can reply "The fork in the road, obviously."

At the back of the place, the owner had drug a tiny travel trailer he'd been given, with the crazy idea that someone may want to stay back there. I was that crazy person and cajoled my, now ex, wife to spend the night with me. Months after that we divorced. For years, (and knowing him, probably up through last year), one of my very closest friends on this earth would always point to it and explain to any newcomer that one night in that trailer had ruined my marriage. bang laugh He took great pleasure in getting me all riled up about it.

For those of you with a sense of humor smirk , what hijinks have you created or participated in on your lease? (I've got a new giant fork coming on ebay that I will be placing clandestinely on my lease very soon. )
Posted By: Cast

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 01:43 PM

I like it.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 02:42 PM

If you would go to all that trouble to provide a conversation / art piece, then I don’t think you could classify yourself as lazy. Misguided, maybe, but not lazy.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 05:59 PM

That's awesome!

We put plastic Pink Flamingo's (I think 6 or 8) in my buddy's feeder pen the night before he showed up for the big Thanksgiving weekend hunt!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 06:01 PM

Doesn't a fork in the road have to be in the road?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 09:02 PM

Had a newbie on our lease near Jayton. We took an old mule deer mount and wired it up in a cedar tree looking at his feed pen. It looked very realistic. Opening morning came and we hear 5 shots ring out across the lease

He shot that thing and it never moved. He came back to camp, packed up his stuff and never came back. He was pizzed. Some folks have no sense of humor.

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/04/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Had a newbie on our lease near Jayton. We took an old mule deer mount and wired it up in a cedar tree looking at his feed pen. It looked very realistic. Opening morning came and we hear 5 shots ring out across the lease

He shot that thing and it never moved. He came back to camp, packed up his stuff and never came back. He was pizzed. Some folks have no sense of humor.

This, or something very similar, has been on my bucket list for decades. Painting one of those concrete deer the proper "patina", putting several different sheds on its head, and setting it off about 500 yards from where you drive around with your buddies has always intrigued me. geekfreak "Hit him again!! Hit him again, he ain't goin' down!!" roflmao
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 12:30 AM

I’ll never understand people like that. I think they hate fun.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 12:35 AM

Usually save the pranks until end of the season. Ed was usually the butt of the jokes. Wired all his blind windows shut the night before. Could here him banging those blind windows a quarter mile away. He thought they were froze shut. Put an Indigo shed under the covers of his rack. Took him a few minutes after turning in before he found it. HOLY HECK that got intense.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 01:24 AM

I’ve posted this before, but will add to this thread. I hunted with a group of good friends on a large ranch with a house. One was a pretty hard sleeper, and went to bed early while the rest of us stayed up late drinking beer and smoking cigars. One night, around midnight, we cleaned up our empties, made a pan of biscuits, then snuck in and changed his alarm clock. A few minutes later he came out, groggy/half-asleep, scarfed down a biscuit, grabbed his gear, and headed to the blind on his ATV. We watched his headlights wind down the hill.

After about 30 minutes we saw the lights coming back up the hill. He was pretty good natured and not too mad. That was almost 15 years ago, and I am still on guard for payback.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 05:14 PM

roflmao that is so great!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 05:45 PM

I thoroughly enjoy giving folks a good-natured (and somewhat unrelenting) hard time.

This weekend we had a guy that is my father's age shoot a smaller-than-desirable buck. I really enjoy his company, wit, and respect the hell out of him. He feels terrible about shooting the deer; I am pretty sure it was a case of mistaken identity for the buck to get shot.

He is worried I am mad and was reportedly worried that this may have been grounds for being asked to leave our lease.

Normally, giving this guy an extremely hard time would be in order. I have told all our crew that am just going to stay uncharacteristically silent. That is funny...to me at least.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalroo
I’ve posted this before, but will add to this thread. I hunted with a group of good friends on a large ranch with a house. One was a pretty hard sleeper, and went to bed early while the rest of us stayed up late drinking beer and smoking cigars. One night, around midnight, we cleaned up our empties, made a pan of biscuits, then snuck in and changed his alarm clock. A few minutes later he came out, groggy/half-asleep, scarfed down a biscuit, grabbed his gear, and headed to the blind on his ATV. We watched his headlights wind down the hill.

After about 30 minutes we saw the lights coming back up the hill. He was pretty good natured and not too mad. That was almost 15 years ago, and I am still on guard for payback.

We have done that same thing, except I dropped him off after going through a deep water crossing knowing full well he wasn’t coming back to camp because of the water. He was pissed . roflmao
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
He feels terrible about shooting the deer; I am pretty sure it was a case of mistaken identity for the buck to get shot.

He is worried I am mad and was reportedly worried that this may have been grounds for being asked to leave our lease.

I was on a lease years ago where we were allowed to bring a guest, late season, to cull does. One morning, one of the guests called out on the radio that he needed help with a "big doe" he had just shot. Since I had the ranch truck, I drove around to assist and haul. The big doe was actually a button buck that I lifted into bed of truck with great ease by myself. He did get a ration of ribbing, not all good natured, and was not invited back. It was a mistake, but he had spent the previous night bragging about his hunting prowess and marksmanship skills - enough so that we decided that he was not a welcome addition to future hunts.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 07:08 PM

The motioned sensored skeleton in the deer blind and the coon tail hanging out of the feeder have been my favorite gags. Make sure you do the skeleton bit in ground blinds only. Fat guys can’t fly.😂 rofl
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 08:50 PM

I have a skunk stuffed animal. One morning I left the house earlier than normal and put it in the blind my brother-in-law was hunting. Fun times.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 10:03 PM

Dang, messing up someone's hunt doesn't seem too cool. Especially opening day they waited all year for. The camp pranks are hilarious.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 10:03 PM

One night my brother and I waited for my dad to go to sleep. About an hour after, he was out like a log. We tied up to his travel trailer and took him down the road. He wasn't too happy about that one
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 10:09 PM

We make an annual trip to my buddies place in Rocksprings. He is absolutely terrified of snakes and anything snake related. A couple of weeks after the trip I saw two rattlesnake mounts for sale on FB. I held on to them until the next year without anyone ever finding out except the two guys I rode out with. When we rolled in I placed one snake directly next to his bed where he puts his bag, grabbed a beer outside and told my other buddies to watch this as he walked inside. Pretty sure his scream spooked every critter in the county. The same buddy also used to park his truck at my place when he would fly to North Dakota for work and left me the keys to run it once a week. Little did he know, I had another snake in full strike pose. I placed the snake so that when he opens the latch on his toolbox it is staring him in the face fangs glaring. It took about three weeks until I got a text full of expletives. He had a rifle in his hand and was .5 seconds away from shooting his toolbox before it clicked.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 10:20 PM

Back in the old days before cell phones we had a good one. You would wait until someone was asleep, then set his watch and alarm clock 2 hours early. He would get up and get to his stand and wait for daylight that seemed like it would never come. grin

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 11:01 PM

Looking on ebay for skunk stuffed animal now...

>>> Ohhh, baby!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/05/18 11:39 PM

Three of us were enjoying New York sirloin steaks the night before Opening Morning when I joked how the cows all seemed to disappear once we started eating.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/07/18 09:13 PM

some good ones!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/07/18 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Usually save the pranks until end of the season. Ed was usually the butt of the jokes. Wired all his blind windows shut the night before. Could here him banging those blind windows a quarter mile away. He thought they were froze shut. Put an Indigo shed under the covers of his rack. Took him a few minutes after turning in before he found it. HOLY HECK that got intense.

clap
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/07/18 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Gulfgoose
We make an annual trip to my buddies place in Rocksprings. He is absolutely terrified of snakes and anything snake related. A couple of weeks after the trip I saw two rattlesnake mounts for sale on FB. I held on to them until the next year without anyone ever finding out except the two guys I rode out with. When we rolled in I placed one snake directly next to his bed where he puts his bag, grabbed a beer outside and told my other buddies to watch this as he walked inside. Pretty sure his scream spooked every critter in the county. The same buddy also used to park his truck at my place when he would fly to North Dakota for work and left me the keys to run it once a week. Little did he know, I had another snake in full strike pose. I placed the snake so that when he opens the latch on his toolbox it is staring him in the face fangs glaring. It took about three weeks until I got a text full of expletives. He had a rifle in his hand and was .5 seconds away from shooting his toolbox before it clicked.

Another good one... up
Posted By: oldstyle244

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/07/18 10:08 PM

First lease I was on, years ago, there were only 2 of us on the lease and his brother was going to build our blinds for us. Feeders had been feeding for a while and then about 2 months before the opener they delivered the blinds.

I went out to check my feeder and while I was there decided to open up the box blind they had set up for me. I opened the door and they had wired up a rubber snake to the door, so when I opened it it looked like the snake was striking. I quickly closed the door and then I opened it again, but this time with a 12 gauge and put a small whole in the bottom of that blind. But killed that rubber snake.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/07/18 10:27 PM

I pulled this one on an old girlfriend and later a nephew of mine. I'll have to pull it out of my bag of tricks now that my boy is old enough. LOL...
Go into the woods really close to camp and make a mock scrape. Pour a small pile of Raisinets in the middle of the scrape. Walk back into camp like you just went for a pee, and gather the young, inexperienced hunters to go look at your find. (be sure and clue the experienced hunters in before doing this or they will bust you) Say "Wow, look at this scrape I found so close to camp...and it's active. Look at the fresh deer droppings. They are so fresh that they are still shiny" Pick one of the chocolate covered raisins up and smell it. Say,"smells like they are hitting the corn." Pop it in your mouth and chew it up with a look your face like you are thinking about the taste, and exclaim "Yep! they are definitely hitting the corn!"
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/08/18 11:25 PM

Tied an inflatable snake to the door of my brothers blind the weekend before opening day. We had to chose between him and my hunting buddy's brother, my brother had the shorter tower so less chance of getting injured in a fall. He found it amusing, we're both terrified of snakes.
Posted By: killabooner

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/11/18 09:24 PM

I rub a #2 pencil on a piece of paper until there is quite a bit of graphite on the paper. then I sneak the other hunter's binoculars and rub the eyecups in the graphite so that they look like a raccoon after they get back to camp. it's hard to keep a straight face.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/12/18 03:56 PM

We tied a rope on a stripped clean deer carcass, then tied it on to the trailer hitch of our buddies truck and put it under the truck. He drove off waving to the rest of the lease members dragging that deer carcass....
Posted By: Randallc

Re: Deer lease humor. - 11/13/18 09:06 PM

We used to hunt with a guy that would get drunk most days an not even hunt. One day during dove season he passed out before the evening hunt, we hooked up his travel trailer and hauled him about a mile down the ranch road. Also the same guy, one afternoon we took 5 alarm clocks set 30 minutes apart, and hid them in his trailer in different spots. They started going off at 2 a.m. then every 30 minutes after that one would go off. The next morning all 5 clocks were busted up laying in front of his trailer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum