Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Longhorns

Posted By: BigPig

Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:34 AM

Seriously, the 4 legged version. People are selling longhorn hunts for $1400 for a 48-60 inch bull. How the hell is that hunting? I guess it’s the same as hunting pinned up deer.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:37 AM

Sick.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:44 AM

I watched a show about a guy in Southwest Texas that hunted wild Spanish fighting bulls. That was the real thing, they hunted on foot. The bulls were known to charge.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:45 AM

Not my idea of a hunt, but I would bet a feral longhorn could be a pretty mean animal.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:54 AM

The price seems low but I wouldn't hunt them for free. Most are pets.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:02 AM

I’ve seen worse condoned around here. I’ve never cared what anyone shoots in their backyard. Just don’t try and tell me it’s hunting. The species doesn’t matter.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:03 AM

With or without ear tags ?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:13 AM

Don’t they hunt feral cattle in Australia? Are these longhorns feral or cattle in a fence? Seems odd either way.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:19 AM

If I'm meat hunting cattle, I'm shooting for a black angus

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Don’t they hunt feral cattle in Australia? Are these longhorns feral or cattle in a fence? Seems odd either way.

They do, and that seems legit. The hunts I’ve seen around here for longhorns are put and take. Go and kill a cow if you want. That’s cool. But we all know it ain’t hunting.
Posted By: glens

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:25 AM

I've been known to raise a few back in my ranching days, still have a few on the place I sold, and this is cra cra. Eat um yes, butchered one (yearling) every year. Shoot them for sport, no way. Although my neighbor had an Angus Bull that kept tearing my fences up I could have. rolleyes
Posted By: hetman

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:29 AM

well you could make it interesting : Give them a Hacksaw & tell them go get your rack
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:59 AM

Sick and wrong
Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 02:01 AM

I know where your problem saw them Facebook group, I think it was a joke towards they guys hunting the Watsi? Cows
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 02:02 AM

Same as HF deer
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 03:31 AM

This is crazy if true
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 03:40 AM

OK, don’t mean to hijack the thread or troll any way.

I feel the same way about shooting goats or sheep in a HF; I just can’t reconcile shooting livestock for sport or as a trophy. Cervids is one thing, but anything in the bovidae family doesn’t compute for me.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 03:48 AM

Weird. How could you hang that on the wall and be proud of it?
Posted By: therancher

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 04:53 AM

I sold all but 2 of my corriente/longhorn cross cattle a month ago. Those 2 are in a 2600 acre pasture. 5 cowboys on horseback couldn’t bring them to a pen (wild as March hares). When cold weather gets here I’m going cow hunting. It’s going to be a much harder hunt than most of you yahoos have shooting “wild free range” deer at your feeders. Not going to mount them, but I will tan their hides and put the meat in my freezer.

You can call me sick and chide me for shooting livestock, but you and I both know it will be more sport and better meat than you’ll get hunting white tail at a feeder.

Buncha hypocrite elitists up in here.

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher
I sold all but 2 of my corriente/longhorn cross cattle a month ago. Those 2 are in a 2600 acre pasture. 5 cowboys on horseback couldn’t bring them to a pen (wild as March hares). When cold weather gets here I’m going cow hunting. It’s going to be a much harder hunt than most of you yahoos have shooting “wild free range” deer at your feeders. Not going to mount them, but I will tan their hides and put the meat in my freezer.

You can call me sick and chide me for shooting livestock, but you and I both know it will be more sport and better meat than you’ll get hunting white tail at a feeder.

Sounds like a hunt to me, and not at all what I’m talking about.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 09:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I know they have feral cattle hunts in New Zealand....

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 09:52 AM

Just rattle a bucket of range cubes...... popcorn
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
Same as HF deer

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: hetman

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:34 PM

do you use a 6.5 or step up to mag?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:36 PM

I saw that post on the creep book and I want to say I am shocked in the amount of people that are interested, but then again I am not.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Just rattle a bucket of range cubes...... popcorn

Ha. Those two see a truck or a horse and they’re vamos.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 01:17 PM

We raised a calf when were kids and then after it was fat enough Dad shot him behind the ear with a .22 mag. The whole family came out for the butchering. I don't have a problem with deer but I don't think I want to shoot a cow. eeks333
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 02:07 PM

The Burnham Brothers used to write about hunting wild cattle in south Texas.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm
The Burnham Brothers used to write about hunting wild cattle in south Texas.

I remember an article on this either in The American Hunter or Petersen's Hunting from 35+ years ago. They were hunting bulls along the Rio Grande with .375/.458 mags in heavy brush, bulls that hadn't seen a rancher or horse in years and were wild as snot. Turned out to be some crazy hunting. I'd do it.

But I wouldn't walk out in a 10 acre patch and shoot Bessie just to get some horns.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 02:19 PM

I've had some experience with truly wild cattle. Big ranch I was on in west Texas had a herd of about 15 that came from Mexico. Those things were every bit as spooky as the deer. If they saw or smelled you, even if they were 300 yards away, the stampede was on. Had them graze by me several times while I was up in a tripod and when they got downwind, stampede. I absolutely hated those things and was not sad to see them go after a couple of years.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 02:21 PM

2015 article

https://www.lsonews.com/death-white-sage-hunting-spanish-fighting-bulls-south-texas/
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 06:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with hunting any animal you plan on eating - even if that animal is more commonly regarded as domesticated livestock. I mean it would be a little weird and I wouldn't call it hunting if it was cow you could walk up to and pet that was fenced in on just a few acres and that would probably just stare at you while eating some grass when you came to shoot it …. that would be harvesting but certainly not hunting in my book. But what you describe is absolutely hunting.

I think the only thing I disagree with you on is that I don't classify people killing deer at feeders as people who are "hunting". smile They are harvesting meat for sure - but they aren't hunting it. I would say that type of "hunting" has more in common with a cattle killer using a bolt gun than real hunting smile I mean, don't get me wrong - it's EFFECTIVE and people who do it probably harvest more game than most real hunters (or at least harvest it sooner) but it's still not hunting in my book :P
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 06:54 PM

If tame, im not sure I’d pay to do it but it would be kinda cool to see how much penetration I’d get with my bow setup. shocked
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 10:01 PM

rofl pappy once said: "stay clear of d manure-spreader."

They didn't get into some muyloco loco-weed ? Twas inside a corral trying ta nudge a sick cow inta squeeze shoot for a shot, when it horned me horse behind girth strap, liked ta tip us both over.
5 cowboys huh, confused2 city-slickers ?
city-slicker deer hunter hunts in pens out of stands with feeders & food plots. Twas a Blessing when a WMA opened up just down the road. Low-fence, Free-ranging
, No food plots, corn feeders allowed. U been in a pen too long...
bang What once was price of food stamps tis slowly becoming a Richmans Sport.
3 types of hunters, your in it for the big bucks.
cheers. Best Wishes on up coming hunt sir.
flag
Posted By: bo3

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/02/18 11:31 PM

You just dont understand how dangerous longhorn hunting is. I was guiding a hunt about a month ago. Hunter made what we thought was a good shot. We we wnt to retrieve her ... Um i mean the bull we were charged. I managed to get a picture of the charge.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/03/18 01:21 AM

Domestic cattle or wild range cattle how do you know the difference? Just get between a cow and her calf. You will have NO DOUBT in less than three seconds. walking
Posted By: MClark

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/03/18 02:16 AM

We were talking a couple weeks ago with a customer who is a a real cowboy, I asked about hunting feral cattle. He said in central Arizona there are quite a few Mavericks. Sometimes they will join the herd get rounded up and get a free truck ride. Some will be causing problems by being aggressive and they may get shot. He said Maverick cattle can be dangerous, the either will not let a person get within hundreds of yards or they are chargers. Chargers hurt people and horses so they take a dirt nap.

M
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/03/18 02:20 AM

Ok...so what is the best caliber for Longhorns???
Posted By: bo3

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/03/18 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/03/18 10:50 PM

I am against shooting any current or former domesticated creature. Thank god the pigs on my place are ancestors of saber tooth tigers

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/04/18 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Flashprism
I am against shooting any current or former domesticated creature. Thank god the pigs on my place are ancestors of saber tooth tigers
clap

Originally Posted By: bo323
Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

And you have to use an AR.....no bolt or lever actions.....
Posted By: kk66

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/04/18 03:47 PM

If they’re truly feral i could see it being a pretty good hunt. When I was a kid we had some cattle in the river bottom that kept dodging being rounded up they were as spooky as any whitetail I’ve seen
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/05/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Seriously, the 4 legged version. People are selling longhorn hunts for $1400 for a 48-60 inch bull. How the hell is that hunting? I guess it’s the same as hunting pinned up deer.

Not sure what the big deal is. HF deer in 100 acre pens get shot here in Texas and Africa has Lions killed in pens for comparison. confused2
Posted By: Baldpate

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/05/18 07:04 PM

Years ago in South Dakota we saw a bunch of geese over on another property, and went over to talk to the man about it. He wouldn't let us hunt geese, but he offered us to hunt buffalo that was on is property. He provided the buffalo for the movie, "Dances with Wolves".
When I asked him how you hunt one, he said, " you just go out there and pick you one out, and you shoot it". We declined the opportunity, but I told him if he ever bought some paint horses, then we might try with bow and arrow !
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/05/18 07:16 PM

I've shot a couple longhorns, none were hunted though. They were either causing problems or injured. In the right circumstance longhorns could be hunted and make a very impressive mount but just like anything else some hunts are harder than others........
Posted By: WILLIED72

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/08/18 02:44 PM

Come on man..SAD..
Posted By: JTS

Re: Hunting Longhorns - 11/08/18 03:55 PM

Ha. Those two see a truck or a horse and they’re vamos.

Wait until after it freezes and put out a couple round bails. I bet you will find them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum