Texas Hunting Forum

Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts?

Posted By: deewayne2003

Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts? - 10/30/18 11:07 PM

Ok so its a fishing trip and not hunting but....

My self and two friends are going fishing in Costa Rica next week and we were talking about the tip to captain and crew and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

It's a 3 day FADS trip and we will be on the boat (46' Guthrie) for 3 days straight fishing for Marlin, Dorado and Tuna. Charter costs $8K

I haven't been on a charter like this in years, so for those of you that do this often or recently - What would you suggest is proper for tip and how would you divide it between captain and crew?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts? - 10/30/18 11:26 PM

$800-$1000 and let them divide it up

If they suck and dont work hard and bitch and moan and talk too much then that tip goes down. If you are catching world class marlin and they are good then that tip goes up.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts? - 10/30/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
$800-$1000 and let them divide it up

If they suck and dont work hard and bitch and moan and talk too much then that tip goes down. If you are catching world class marlin and they are good then that tip goes up.

That's a good number. Remember that the average daily wage in CR is 20 bucks.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts? - 10/31/18 12:18 AM

10 - 15 % - Depending on the level of service.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts? - 10/31/18 11:25 PM

$800-$1k is a legit number. I wouldn't try to divvy it up myself, though. Just give it to the captain. He'll devide it amongst the crew accordingly. Lots of variables you won't know about. Experience, time on boat, outstanding tabs, so-and-so owes the other so-and-so $50.00, etc.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Tipping Captian & Crew - your thoughts? - 11/01/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparta
10 - 15 % - Depending on the level of service.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum