Texas Hunting Forum

Lease

Posted By: PointeeBoots

Lease - 10/28/18 09:00 PM

My lessor and I had an understanding that he and his grandson would hunt Youth Only weekend. Upon checking his game cam he saw that a Red Stag was hitting the feeder. Now he wants to hunt for the Red Stag. Is lessor allowed to hunt on leesee lease after signing a lease agreement? He did ask and said he'd share half. I don't want to appear greedy but "legally" is a leassor permitted to hunt once lease is signed?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Lease - 10/28/18 09:11 PM

You could probably win that argument, if you were looking to be on a different lease next year.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Lease - 10/28/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
You could probably win that argument, if you were looking to be on a different lease next year.

I agree. Had it happen to me on 2 different leases. One lady was letting her friends hunt for "does only" during the week. You can't win that fight.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Lease - 10/28/18 10:00 PM

He is the owner!!!! Unless he agreed in writing to your exclusive right to hunt I think you should forget the red stag and focus on the other game!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Lease - 10/28/18 10:20 PM

Go kill the Red Stag and he won't get to hunt. clap
Don't share half either.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Lease - 10/28/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Go kill the Red Stag and he won't get to hunt. clap
Don't share half either.

rofl WIN WIN grin
Posted By: PKGR

Re: Lease - 10/29/18 03:32 AM

People don’t think property rights be like they are, but they do.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Lease - 10/29/18 04:49 AM

I am surprised he even let you know about the red stag. I have known a couple that would have hunted it without telling you.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Lease - 10/29/18 11:38 AM

Take half and be happy. He guts and skins it. What's not to like about that? confused2
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Lease - 10/29/18 01:21 PM

Depends on your lease. Let's assume the lease forbids the land owner from hunting the property during the agreement. It depends on if he was asking or telling you. If it was me and he asked why wouldn't I let him take the stag. I bet there will be others in the future and half a Stag is better than a boot up the a$$ next year.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lease - 10/29/18 01:43 PM

I'd let him kill the Stag and split it with you. Now if it were a big whitetail he was asking to kill, as the lessee, I'd have a problem with that. Unfortunately, if the lessor thinks it's acceptable to 'amend' your agreement after the lease is signed so he can kill the Stag, what happens when he sees a BIG whitetail he likes?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Lease - 10/29/18 01:50 PM

As long as he is hunting around your schedule and respectful of your set a good way to establish strong repore.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Lease - 10/31/18 01:43 PM

I'd chalk this one up, unless you aren't happy with the lease in the first place
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Lease - 10/31/18 02:30 PM

Depends on the wording in your lease.
IMO, a good lease agreement is very specific.

And, x2 what fouzman said.
Posted By: don k

Re: Lease - 10/31/18 02:41 PM

Normally you lease for the WT. Unless your lease is for all native and exotic birds and animals I really don't see how you have any gripe. Another reason I don't lease out. Always some kind of BS you never think about.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lease - 10/31/18 02:56 PM

Ill never know how we leased for 25-30 years and never had a single bad experience or disagreement with the property owner or them with us.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lease - 10/31/18 02:59 PM

There are always going to be lease openings, and you have to ask yourself Why?
You can only prepare yourself for that day.
It can be because of the other lease members, or the guy that is leasing the land, but you'll usually find out sooner rather than later.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Lease - 11/01/18 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Ill never know how we leased for 25-30 years and never had a single bad experience or disagreement with the property owner or them with us.

No kidding. Been on 8 years and 2 guys for 15 and never seen a lease agreement or had an issue.
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Lease - 11/02/18 02:02 AM

Let him have it.
Posted By: spg

Re: Lease - 11/02/18 05:17 AM

If I lost the place I'm on now I'd go crazy, absolutely love it. Luckily we know the owners and have signed 10 year lease agreement just to CMA because we dumped some money on a new camp.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Lease - 11/02/18 05:25 AM

If the stag is tagged (and it wasn’t bought by the landowner), neither you nor the landowner owns it. If it isn’t tagged, the landowner owns it. You have no right (regardless of lease agreement) to shoot it, unless the OWNER says you can.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Lease - 11/02/18 06:43 PM

Tagged or not, if it's on my land I'll shoot it if I want to.

Re: Lease - 11/02/18 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Tagged or not, if it's on my land I'll shoot it if I want to.

That’s fine, but if it’s tagged you’ll be breaking the law, and if it turns out to be a barasingha or elds cow you’ll be committing a federal felony.
Posted By: spg

Re: Lease - 11/03/18 02:53 AM

Only thing tagged on our place are cows.........not sure what you're trying to say. The land owner hunts a HF property he owns, its only about 10X's bigger than our place.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Lease - 11/03/18 04:22 PM

I think Ranch is informing it's not a Game Animal and considered "Livestock" similar to your neighbors prized Bull that keeps knocking down the fence. Can't shoot him either. If someone lost a stag you can betcha the sheriff and warden know about it.

Re: Lease - 11/04/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: spg
Only thing tagged on our place are cows.........not sure what you're trying to say. The land owner hunts a HF property he owns, its only about 10X's bigger than our place.

In the OP the author describes an “escapee” stag or hind. If the animal is marked and not something that was put on the place by the owner, there is a legal protocol one must follow to kill the animal. Even if it’s not marked, if it’s one of the species that require a cites permit to kill, you would be committing a federal felony if you shot it.

Ignorance is no excuse.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Lease - 11/04/18 12:29 PM

This & many other inequities is the reason I quit doing leases. You get treated very unfairly & if you complain they remind you there are other places to hunt. It’s pretty much impossible to find a man of integrity & honesty any more. Lease proprietors are usually in it for the extra money. They don’t care about offering you anything of value.

Re: Lease - 11/04/18 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
This & many other inequities is the reason I quit doing leases. You get treated very unfairly & if you complain they remind you there are other places to hunt. It’s pretty much impossible to find a man of integrity & honesty any more. Lease proprietors are usually in it for the extra money. They don’t care about offering you anything of value.
And the reason I quit leasing was because of the way the people who leased from me treated my property. The way that since they payed a little money to hunt on my property they then thought they owned it. I could go on and on but you can see where I am going.

Re: Lease - 11/04/18 12:59 PM

So now I have people in to harvest what animals I need harvesting. They know what they can and can't take. They know before hand exactly what it is going to cost. They respect the property more. They don't act like they own it and are the ones that can tell me how to run the ranch. I know exactly when they are coming. I pretty much know how long they are going to be here. For me any way it better than leasing. The same money for me. I get taken exactly what I want taken. And if I have someone out that I have trouble with I either run them off or don't let them come back.

Re: Lease - 11/05/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: Reloder28
And the reason I quit leasing was because of the way the people who leased from me treated my property. The way that since they payed a little money to hunt on my property they then thought they owned it. I could go on and on but you can see where I am going.

Never ceases to amaze me how much ownership some guys feel because they pay a piddling trespass fee.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Lease - 11/05/18 04:56 PM

so if a Red Stag gets out from a high fence it a felony for that animal to be killed on another property... Does this apply to Axis etc..??
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Lease - 11/05/18 05:08 PM

Years ago a big ostrich escaped from a nearby property, the owner put out the word to shoot it on sight because he didn't want to be liable for any property damage or accidents it might cause.

.....trespassers will be shot....

Re: Lease - 11/05/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: easton1025
so if a Red Stag gets out from a high fence it a felony for that animal to be killed on another property... Does this apply to Axis etc..??

Never said or implied that. Only animals under CITES restrictions would be a federal felony.

Axis and Red Stag would only be illegal under local state law (estray law) and only if they are tagged.

Re: Lease - 11/05/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
Years ago a big ostrich escaped from a nearby property, the owner put out the word to shoot it on sight because he didn't want to be liable for any property damage or accidents it might cause.

.....trespassers will be shot....

Shooting trespassers would be a landowner privilege, not a leaser privilege, unless granted by the landowner.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Lease - 11/06/18 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: PointeeBoots
My lessor and I had an understanding that he and his grandson would hunt Youth Only weekend. Upon checking his game cam he saw that a Red Stag was hitting the feeder. Now he wants to hunt for the Red Stag. Is lessor allowed to hunt on leesee lease after signing a lease agreement? He did ask and said he'd share half. I don't want to appear greedy but "legally" is a leassor permitted to hunt once lease is signed?

This is why you should ALWAYS have a signed lease agreement that spells out your rights and responsibilities as well as the land owner. I can provide a good sample lease agreement if anyone wants to see one. If there is a possibility of exotics on a property, you need to have it spelled out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum