Texas Hunting Forum

Coldest weather on hunt

Posted By: 1860.colt

Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 04:12 PM

scratch was in tall tails section seen the hunter.
In texas at OSBWMA camped out in 2man tent using old sleeping bag rated for summer. Woke up with snow on ground, spent the morning in tree stand archery deer hunt. Think it finaly got up to around 9degrees. A camper borrowed me a heavier sleepen bag for next night. Some hog hunts might been colder, but then am moving. 9degrees camping & in tree stand texas
Some ya'll been outta state hunts. Born raised in Minnesota.
So have hunted in below-0 weather. Can stand the cold, several years back went up here for Christmas, bro & i did archery hunt. No sure temp, had more cloths on than ever had, almost wider with close than taller. Bro said we might make it 30min hunt.
rofl as much close had on, thinken could stay for weeks.
bang climbed inta tree stands, wind was howlen, temp, not real sure, -10 or-20 not figuring in wind chill. 5min couldnt feel face, 10min thinken we muyloco, what seened like hours, yet only minnutes, a deer eased by bro. He still used finger method, pulled back, rofl then heard ping ping ping as his aluminum arrow bounced off the limbs. Had the mittons that open & thin gloves, hands so cold lost feeling. Deer looked up, scratch thinken rofl idiots & eased off.
Sometimes the memories ya take home tis the True trophy.
flag
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 04:48 PM

Not a bad read, could understand all of it. Remember hunting in Michigan with 12 to 14 inches of snow. The GOOD old days.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 07:16 PM

back in the late 90's my dad and i went out and that morning in South Purmela/ Gatesville it was 9 degrees.. it snowed a little even mid morning and the high was 25 that day.. I shot my biggest buck (up to that year) that afternoon about 330 chasing a doe... It was one of the most memorable days hunting ive had..
Posted By: Blank

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 07:25 PM

In 1982 my partner and I each drew an archery Moose tag in Jackson Hole WY. The season was 12/1-12/31. We didn't realize all the bigger bulls would have dropped their antlers by then, and only the little ones would be legal as "antlered moose". Killed it on the last day (12-31) and it was a frigid minus 29 degrees. We both ended up getting arrows into it, and chased for several hours. Frostbite on both hands, and it was frozen solid when we got home over Teton Pass that night.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 08:39 PM

Probably around 15 degrees in NE TX. It was VERY windy too. Around 8 am I tried to shoot a coyote and was shaking so much I couldn't get off a shot. Decided I was wasting my time and went back to the cabin.

JR
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 08:47 PM

Not hunting, but when skiing one year in Breckenridge it was -10 with a wind chill of -30. Way too cold for me.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 09:08 PM

A week im November elk hunting in Montana. high for 7 days +5 low -21
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 09:39 PM

The coldest I ever hunted in or ever experienced was a week in Saskatchewan deer hunting.

Most mornings were 0F to - 10F, but one morning was -27F.

Even the locals were complaining at that point.

Dead deer had to be taken into a heated work building to thaw out to clean.

Hunting was sitting in a plastic chair for about ten hours a day.

It felt more like an endurance challenge than hunting.

7F hunting west of Brady is my coldest in Texas.

I LOVE South Texas!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/25/18 10:24 PM

Stepped out the camper one morning a couple of years ago. 3 degrees and snow on the ground. 4 miles to stand on a 4 wheeler. I waved at the rest of the guys heading out. Went back in, turned the thermostat from 72 to 76, turned the coffee pot on and crawled back in bed. I killed as many deer that day as they did. I’m just not that mad at em anymore but I love going.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 12:41 AM

Coldest hunt was 9 degrees
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 12:51 AM

Montana elk hunt. It was -20 in Bozeman that night, we (me, brother and friend) were in the mountains sleeping in the back of a pickup, on the metal bed. All my clothes including Sorel boot liners inside the cheap sleeping bag. Sleeping bag was froze to the truck bed and tailgate, Sooo cold, hard to explain. And no, we did not kill any elk!
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 12:51 AM

Last year, 28th of December at our lease in Comanche, morning temp was 12° wind chill at -2°! Decided to go into town for breakfast, but the lock was frozen on the gate! Dug around in my truck and found a can of WD 40....sprayed the lock and it finally opened! Decided to go back and load the truck and left to go home.

Deer were smarter than me that day!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 12:53 AM

In 1965 we got caught in the Badlands of North Dakota when a norther blew in, brought with a blizzard and below temps. There were 3 of us, 2 of us had our deer, the last day the last guy got his. But by the time we got it back to camp it was too late to head out. The next morning we had a foot of snow, but a roaring fire in the tent kept us warm. About noon the highway department snowplows came through and we headed out in blizzard, got to the first town and camped in a motel for 2 days before we could head back home.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 12:55 AM

13 degrees in San Saba county two years ago. That entire week the temp was in the 20s and teens, water at camp was frozen for days. Then the 4 wheeler broke down 2 miles from camp the morning it was 13 degrees after I shot a deer. Miserable walk back and even worse time cleaning a deer when it was that cold.

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 05:48 AM

cheers enjoyed each read.
One of my favoret memerable hunts.
Son & i went on archery hunt with same bro.
Colder weather, body tightens up, had turned down bow for the hunt.
Snow on ground not sure of temp, but chilly, & strong winds. We pulled up ta edge corn field. Bro said we gonna put on drive. Done it with .45 kentucky, not archery. Ya walk in look down row of corn left right step look down row repete. Left arrow quiver in truck, son & i each had one arrow.
Walked a bit son was on end, bit further, i was in middle, bro was walking twards other end, then walk same speed threw corn rows.
Waiten for bro ta reach his area, figured see if could draw bow. Trigger release, it was cold, went off & arrow lobbed several rows in. So eased in see could locate arrow. Nothing, so went back to starting point, seen son looking down threw rows, though he hit deer. Eased over to him, asked if he conected, shook his head no. He lost release. Had spare intruck, he said he was walken back, get spare, he was cold. Gave me his arrow.
Meen time bro was easen threw corn rows. So i double timed ta try catch up. Half way, notuced, had lost broad head, so still couldnt shoot, oh we did find trigger release. Finaly hit end of corn field, bro was confused2 were were ya ? Told story he chuckled, bout that time nice buck ran past at end of field were son would have walked.
Eased to truck, asked son if he seen any thing. Said, buck ran past truck, he was in it warmen up. Told son he aint never gonna take us hunten again.
Cold weathern hunten & ice fishen, it will test ya.
Enjoyed every ones input.
flag
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 11:39 AM

Hunted in the Panhandle when it has been single digits a few times, but that's about it.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 01:21 PM

Minus 21 when lion hunting in the Navajo Rez two years ago. One of my best dogs was so cold that she could not untrack until I had roaded her about half a mile. At least it was clear and no wind.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 01:40 PM

November 24th 2013. 21° and sleeting. Worth it.

Posted By: mohunter

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 03:50 PM

January 7, 2017, duck hunt with a very long boat ride, -2 when we launched the boat.

Still have a photo of the temp gauge in the car, lol.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 05:06 PM

About 6 yrs ago I was in the Trans Pecos. Wind was blowing as always and the temps were well below zero due to wind chill. I stepped out of the blind to whizz and it froze literally before if could hit the ground.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 06:22 PM

Many years ago I hunted out in the 4 corners area of New Mexico when snow was blowing parallel to the ground and 5 degrees. That was danged cold but the coldest I've ever been was in a tree stand in E. Texas. It was raining, sleeting and snowing at the same time. I've never been so miserable in my life.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 06:47 PM

In WY one time elk hunting.

So cold our words would freeze - so we would pick them up, thaw them out by the campfire that night, and see what conversations we had during the day.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 09:58 PM

I grew up in CO and have been on a lot of late season cow elk hunts where -10 would be a warm day. Not sure what the coldest is but if it was -20 I wouldn't be surprised.
Posted By: amaneckred

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 11:14 PM

Me and my b.i.l went bow hunting hogs in about 16 degrees. We sat till the wind started. We hunt in the panhandle. Hunting the Canadian River basin there have been many cold days. We have had to break the ice off our four wheeler breaks to be able to head back after hunting the crossbar.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/26/18 11:18 PM

5 degrees near Hext several years ago. I was the only one that went out. I didn't see a thing.
I went just to say I did it, loved the Coleman heater that day.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
In WY one time elk hunting.

So cold our words would freeze - so we would pick them up, thaw them out by the campfire that night, and see what conversations we had during the day.

Thanks for the laugh, Nog. I needed it. Very clever.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 01:27 AM

I hunted in South Texas two days in late Dec of 1983 when it was 9 degrees one morning and then 7 degrees the next morning. Hunted in Kendall county in early Dec of 1989 when it was 10 degrees on Saturday and then 0 the next Saturday morning 7 days later. After the first weekend of 10 deg temps my body was used to the cold that next week. I hunted at Jayton one morning in blowing wind and it was 3 degrees that morning when we crossed a low spot in a creek bottom. I think that was the coldest I have ever been when hunting and I was still/walk hunting that morning. I hunted Alberta in 2006 when it was the coldest opening morning for opening day on record for rifle deer season according to the locals. Was some snow and 0 that morning but not to windy. I killed my biggest mule deer at 9:30 am and it was still 9 degrees but the sun was out. It finally warmed up our 4th day up there when hit 27 at the airport flying back home. All of those are freezing cold temps to someone born and raised an hour south of San Antonio.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 01:36 AM

10 degree a few years back in central Texas.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 03:49 AM

About 30 years ago I remember mule deer hunting in Colorado and it thunder snowed for about 24 hours. Nothing would keep us warm while hunting. It was a tough hunt. I slept in by the wood stove in the tent and didn't hunt more than one morning.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 04:34 AM

New Years weekend 1978, outside Comanche for last weekend deer hunt. Weather was fairly warm when we crawled into the small tent leaving our heavy coats in the bronco. Ice storm blew in during the night and we lit the propane heater and crawled into our mummy bags and slept until alarm went off. When I tried to sit up I could not because the top of the tent was inches from my face, same with my hunting buddy. We managed to wiggle our way in the mummy bags to the door end of the tent where there was more room due to the heater. Tent was frozen so solid we could not even kick our way out, had to dig out.I could not believe how much ice was on the ground considering it was warm when we went to bed. Bronco doors were frozen shut with our heavy clothes inside, had to melt snow over the heater to pour on the doors to get them open. packed up and started bronco but it was frozen to the ground, had to use 4 low and granny gear to break it free and that is with posi-trac front and rear. Roads were slick as snot and kept it in 4 hi but still could not run very fast. Wrecks and cars in ditches everywhere. At one point I had to take a leak and stopped in the middle of the 2 lane road, we were the only ones out there. When I stepped out I fell flat on my azz and when I grabbed the door handle to pull myself up I pulled the bronco toward me and into the ditch it was so slick. Drove in the ditch a long way before I could get out, normal 2 1/2 hour drive took 8 hours to get home. Not sure how cold it got to freeze that bad after a warm day but it was the coldest trip I have ever been on and we had zero desire to hunt when we got up that morning...
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 03:10 PM

In Texas - -3 degrees
Whitetail in Missouri on January 2 (antlerless season then)-15
Wyoming elk hunt -28
Coldest temp all around - Salmon, Idaho -54 degrees.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 05:22 PM

About 15 years ago bowhunting in Ark when it was 12 degrees and the wind was howling.
Posted By: Old_School

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 05:33 PM

Several years back in West Texas on a dove hunt during the second split. My brother had gone on to Albuquerque with his wife and kids and I stayed behind to shoot some birds. The temperature I think was hovering around one degree but the real killer was that West Texas wind was getting up to 80. The wind chill was around -40 if the charts don't lie. It was a great hunt because the birds that had the tail wind must have been clocking a hundred and twenty miles an hour on the wing. The ones flying into the wind were flying so slow I'd let them pass because it felt like shooting them on a high line. LOL. When I got back to the house I looked like I've been exploring the Arctic... my beard and mustache were covered with ice where my breath had frozen on them.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/27/18 07:35 PM

i've hunted colder but the one i remember the most was 13 degrees with strong wind and snow flurries in north Texas, coyote hunting turned into a spot and stalk on my lifelong trophy of an all white pigeon i harvested. three hundred yard belly crawl with no gloves really hurt when i got back to the truck and turned the heater on. sooo worth it though and 'snowflake' was mounted and sits on my gun safe now. one of my best hunting trips.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/28/18 02:29 AM

Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/28/18 07:16 AM

Right around 0F with -15F windchill:

About the same temp for this doe:

Can't remember what the temp was for this one but cold enough that 15 minutes after I put an arrow in him his hide was already starting his freeze:

This is about the coldest I go out in - I figure if the coyote can handle it I should be able to manage:

Re: Coldest weather on hunt - 10/28/18 04:48 PM

cheers enjoyed the posts & coolpics. Talk of snow here, next week end. So cool temps.
Thanks for sharing

Safe hunting.
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum